shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Open'

- posting these just for their open shank: WWW & WWW

The simplissime design makes perfect sense with a halo / bezel, with or without diamonds etc.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

Of the halo version, there is only a side-view ... WWW

The first design I had seen there, had the ends of the band continued under the stone with flattened Greek Key terminations - they still did not meet. Without pave, keeping things simple sounds better (the again, this is my bias ... for 'simple').

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH! That's a keyhole? I thought it was a shadow! Got it!

No - I won't be doing that sort of gallery. I'd actually like something finer and *perhaps* more detailed. I'm open to any suggestions, if you can think of something particularly elegant, and would appreciate the help!

ETA There will be no diamonds in the basket or the shanks. I don't like that much tizz on me.

Gallery photos? I think I can find a few examples that would be more timeless. I'll see what I have.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gallery photos? I think I can find a few examples that would be more timeless. I'll see what I have.

That would be WONDERFUL! I've been aware that I wanted to do a pretty profile, ergo a lovely gallery - but I'm pulling an absolute blank.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want your bands to sit perfectly flush? A small donut? Or a large donut?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want your bands to sit perfectly flush? A small donut? Or a large donut?

I think a small donut. I don't care about flush - tho I don't want them miles apart; it squishes up my finger!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sent my stone off to DKJ yesterday to begin the setting process. This will take a while as it's a totally new design for them, so it might take a few iterations.

I absolutely love Christmas and my DH has always said that I have a "Christmas tree in your heart, Mrs-B!" :) For the whole month of December, DH's nickname for me is Twinkle! On Jan 1st, I revert to Mrs-B, but for the festive season...Twinkle. :) (You probably now know way more about my married life than you ever wanted to, right?) This is reasonably accurate as I plan for Christmas from July 1st onwards and celebrate it actively after Thanksgiving. I thought a lot about doing a halo of marquis and tiny round brilliants to make a sort of garland effect, but decided in the end to use a common holly (ilex aquifolium) motif in the basket/gallery. I'm calling this ring 'Merry and Bright' - Merry for short. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if this took a couple of versions and 8 weeks to do, and I'll update here when it's done. It will be slow, tho - ergo - excruciating!!!

ETA I should also add that part of my name is a version of 'holly' - so this also reflects who I am in a very 'signature' sense.

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sent my stone off to DKJ yesterday to begin the setting process. This will take a while as it's a totally new design for them, so it might take a few iterations.

I absolutely love Christmas and my DH has always said that I have a "Christmas tree in your heart, Mrs-B!" :) For the whole month of December, DH's nickname for me is Twinkle! On Jan 1st, I revert to Mrs-B, but for the festive season...Twinkle. :) (You probably now know way more about my married life than you ever wanted to, right?) This is reasonably accurate as I plan for Christmas from July 1st onwards and celebrate it actively after Thanksgiving. I thought a lot about doing a halo of marquis and tiny round brilliants to make a sort of garland effect, but decided in the end to use a common holly (ilex aquifolium) motif in the basket/gallery. I'm calling this ring 'Merry and Bright' - Merry for short. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if this took a couple of versions and 8 weeks to do, and I'll update here when it's done. It will be slow, tho - ergo - excruciating!!!

ETA I should also add that part of my name is a version of 'holly' - so this also reflects who I am in a very 'signature' sense.

Do you have any visual, even if by done in metal, I can see I'm very curious how to translate it, but I love the idea

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel - I don't have a photo/copy. I just looked up a holly leaf, then drew it for Amy last night while she sat in my living room with me. I used this link:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...d=0ahUKEwj7xL6PqYLXAhUKxlQKHfy4B88Q_B0IpgIwCg

I can't do as many points, so I'm aiming for a top point, which will hold the stone, then 2 side points on each side of each leaf, and I was originally hoping we could fit 6 'leaves' around the gallery (we can't). I thought about changing the halo part to a continual garland of 3 tiny rb's, but I think that might be a bit much, and I'm really looking for something softer than that. I learnt a lot, spending time out at McTiegue and McClelland, and I love their aesthetic - which is 'not too much detail - just enough detail'. I'm thinking of doing a miniscule ruby at the base of each leaf, to signify the holly berries, but again, it might be a bit much, so we'll see. I'm now considering just one leaf, front and back; I don't want them to be squashed, and want it to be a clearly distinguishable motif.

So - imagine a halo in white metal, cathedral arms, then 2 holly leaves, one at the front and one at the back as the gallery, and perhaps a tiny ruby set into the edge of the donut so it looks like a leaf with a berry at its base. The basket and the shank would be in brushed yellow gold (I wanted peach, but apparently it doesn't come up well when brushed) with a milgrain edge. At the back of the band I'd have my regular starburst with a tiny diamond in it, and one in the underside of the donut also.

Took me months to come up with this - and in the end, the whole idea was in my own name! If it doesn't work we'll scratch the whole thing and start again. (Please, God, no....)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3.4ct stone has gone off for casting. I am HUGELY excited!! It will probably be a couple of weeks till it's finished, but it's going to be pretty awesome, and quite different to what the fashion is these days.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see it finished - will be a sparkly Christmas for sure!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesssssss can't wait!!!! :appl::appl::appl:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting @mrs-b! We can't wait to see the finished ring + pendant! :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently on a plane on my way back to LA. I'll see Amy this evening and post photos tonight! SO excited - I've been waiting to finish this set for YEARS!

3.4ct ring will take a while - there's quite a lot to it - plenty of bells and whistles - which will mean using a few different benches to tap into their specific specialties. I'm hoping 3 weeks. :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of little tweaks to go, but I thought I'd put up a preliminary photo. I decided to go with a substantial setting; it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it looks 'right' on my hand. You can't see that the setting is in 18kt yellow - it's just the tips that are platinum.

More will be forthcoming in the weeks ahead; DKJ is SWAMPED for Christmas, and I've told them I'm in no rush, given that I have my lovely VC Trilogy to 'tide me through these dark days'.... :))

IMG_5464.jpeg

And one more, showing the beautiful holly detail in the basket. Excuse the raised inner prongs; it hasn't had its final go-over yet.

DKJPV_12_08_SH-4.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh @mrs-b this is lovely! Lots of bling too. I need to go back and read this whole thread because I missed it. I love the holly detail. Can't wait to see the finished product and see it on your hand. The small OECs for my three stone should be in the mail to me today from David btw. We both wanted more bling than a solitaire. :lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I love how you decided to set the ring! What a beauty! I hope you love it and looking forward to seeing more pics soon!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know your dilemma says she of the size 8 porky fingers. Mine is an EC but I really love my new setting (I designed it inspired by Art Deco rings). I finally have finger coverage, except often 5695A543-CC72-42FD-B24E-DBAAC441380D.jpeg the shop assistants think it’s costume jewelry. Who has that many diamonds! A big round Centre with two good size sides would look lovely. Also I like the look of a petal halo. The Centre diamond set higher and good size rounds, set lower, all around.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The side-view reminds a stone gateway - with a sculpted keystone .-)

Certainly my 'cup of tea' !

_
Edited to add: I hear you ! - from the other thread:
I wanted an unbroken, convex curve - no gimmicks, nothing faddish

Last edited:

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the infamous inspiration ring, but all I took really is the similar (not same) proportions and the band stack :D
IMG_4755.JPG

Wow - so funny to stumble on this old photo of mine in this old thread! Gosh these rings look so nice stacked up together. One day I'll do a 3-stone like that again, and that engraved band was so gorgeous! I couldn't wear them all together like this thanks to my short fingers, but that was the original plan. Wonder where they are now...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results