shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identifying?

CbeyerGold

Rough_Rock
Hello gemstone world! I could use some help identifying these 2 different stones in these 2 pieces I recently picked up at auction. Both are set in 10k gold - the womans estate they were auctioning off bought all this jewelry around the 1940’s I was told.

Pendant - 10k with a pinkish/red tcenter stone
Ring - 10k with small diamonds around the red stone. The red stone is only slightly transparent.

Im still learning / teaching myself gemstones and jewelry so without the risk of sounding stupid im just calling them stones instead of stating what I might think they are - I researched alot so have a few ideas of what they might be but just want to be sure. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks ahead of time 50FE0EA3-5610-4F2E-AE57-F426E08E2402.jpeg 237D46E4-8A44-4F28-A27C-E3AACF2F00D4.jpeg D126EEA4-F11D-4BB4-B333-7989805A0E3F.jpeg F7707813-906D-4325-AE0B-FA4246CE0489.jpeg 33B5F890-2345-4A61-BE76-C1EDAA72EC3A.jpeg B0DBECD8-1F80-48B7-AE96-6C3F822F9BAA.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! They are very pretty pieces. Unfortunately one can’t identify stones just from pictures. It would be unusual for “valuable” stones to be set in 10k so if you do get them tested be prepared that they might be synthetic or glass. Glass scratches easily and it looks there is wear along the facets of the ring so that is a definite possibility. Are there any hallmarks or stamps on the pieces? Sometimes that can help identify the country or time period.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! They are very pretty pieces. Unfortunately one can’t identify stones just from pictures. It would be unusual for “valuable” stones to be set in 10k so if you do get them tested be prepared that they might be synthetic or glass. Glass scratches easily and it looks there is wear along the facets of the ring so that is a definite possibility. Are there any hallmarks or stamps on the pieces? Sometimes that can help identify the country or time period.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, @kgizo is correct about everything. I would guess that they are synthetic or glass.
The pendant is gorgeous!

CbeyerGold

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the quick feedback! Yeah now that I think of it, not sure why I thought itd be easy to identify a gemstone through pictures haha :twirl: - as for the markings, the only one is the 10k marks. Now Im not disagreeing at all, more so trying to debunk a myth/get facts straight. Someone once told me they set certsin stones in lesser karat gold to avoid them falling out of higher karat gold because higher karat gold is softer? That never made to much sense to me considering if someone wanted to buy the best they would want the stone & gold to be of the best quality. Going to get them both checked out - I didnt break the bank on these so if they are synthetic or glass its no worries, will just keep on hunting ! But hey thanks again for the response!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess - and it’s just that - would be synthetic spinel. It was often used for birthstone jewelry back when I was a kid, in the sixties.

If you have any reason to believe the stones in either of the pieces are not synthetic, you might want to get them tested. Several years ago one of the larger, established pawn shops in my town tested an amethyst for me using, I believe, a refractometer. It cost me $30-40. (I was sure the stone was a fake because of its unusual bronzey purple tone; it wasn’t!)

By the way, I think both the pendant setting and stone are quite luscious, and I do hope you’re wearing them! I couldn’t help noticing that the prongs look quite worn - do consider getting them checked if you’re planning to wear the ring regularly.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are lovelly pieces and such a pretty colour

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results