shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Identifying Stone in Ring...Opinions, please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
OK, I am doing this as a favour to my senior mother who has no clue about computers...

She has this ring (I will post photos, don''t worry.)that she''s had probably 30 years. When she was married before she met my father, she bought the stone loose in Rio de Janero at Harry Sterns. I don''t know anything abut the stone except she says it was once appraised as quartz. I believe it is quartz, quite possibly whiskey quartz. It is 27.5 carats. I see no inclusions with the naked eye. I have not looked at it with a loop, but my mother says she was told it has outstanding clarity. It has beautiful faceting and is cut into a lovely heart shape. She had the stone set in Germany, designing her own setting.

I need opinions, any opinions as to what this stone might be and the overall impression you get from looking at the photos. My mother wants to sell it. I advised her that it is possible it doesn''t have a ton of value. She''s OK with that. She says it''s a huge bauble she''ll never wear again. Frankly, I think the setting is gorgeous. The stone is pretty too, but it doesn''t rock my world, if ya know what I mean.
21.gif

I am having some trouble getting these images up...but I am going to post this and work on photos. Thanks.

35.gif

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
I cannot seem to post my photos of this ring.
29.gif

I keep getting UNSPECIFIED ERROR messages.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Is the file size below 100k? Otherwise it won't load.

If you are sure it's below 100k, then try changing name so you can be reasonably confident it's unique (for example, add your login name and a number - "Tearsfromheaven_ring001.jpg")

HTH

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
I took the photos and I am not a photographer. Sorry. I am trying...there''s better ones somewhere lol

Whiskey3.JPG

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
My mom''s ENORMOUS thing ring.

Whiskey6.JPG

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
The THING lol

Whiskey7.JPG

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
The Thing again!

Whiskey10.JPG

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
Whiskey Quartz? Something uglier? Glass? I don''t think it''s glass actually, but it''s the Loch Ness Ring.
3.gif

Whiskey5.JPG

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
"JAWS theme"

Whiskey4.JPG

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
Ok, the last horrible picture. I''m sorry, I am just not a photographer. I would say the true color is a very vitreous honey brown. Even though the stone is big, it''s hard to photograph. I think it''s simple, but it''s just gigantic and I''m not sure who would wear it. Suggestions? Ideas? I will not be offended if you say it needs to be cut down and set into a pendant or something. It is that huge. I have little fingers and you can see in one of the last photos, the ring DWARFS my hand. Oh yeah, it''s in 18 carat gold.

Thanks for any and all feedback. I love you guys!
30.gif
I came here because I was looking for an Asscher as an engagement ring
30.gif
and got a whole lot more. I am still looking for my Asscher...in time, in time.

THANKS.

Whiskey.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess that''s either a Citrine or a Smoky Quartz. Whatever it is, it''s HUGE! Can you actually lift your arm when wearing it?!!!!!

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
It''s almost uncomfortable to wear. You could hurt someone with it. LOL
It''s not a smokey quartz, that much I do know. It''s not dark enough. It has a very honey-like quality which makes me lean towards citrine.

Thanks for the 1st reply.

tearsfromheaven

Rough_Rock
I was thinking, it''s almost the size of my Boston Terrier''s head!
3.gif

TessReduced.JPG

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I would guess citrine, it looks huge.
35.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'd put money on smokey quartz - it comes in many shades, some lighter than others. My sister has a stone almost exactly the same shade.

Although, to be honest the actual name doesn't mean much - quartz is quartz at the end of the day.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Appart from those already mentioned, brown topaz comes to mind.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2008 5:20:00 PM
Author: Pandora II
I''d put money on smokey quartz - it comes in many shades, some lighter than others. My sister has a stone almost exactly the same shade.

Although, to be honest the actual name doesn''t mean much - quartz is quartz at the end of the day.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Wow, that stone is a boulder!! It''s quartz.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW... that''s huge
6.gif
. It''s pretty, though. Your Bostonian is CUTE!!
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results