shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identifying six point star mark in vintage gold ring?

sevenchances

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I recently bought this ring and assumed the shank was replaced at some point because the shape is more squared off and thicker than my other vintage rings. But then I noticed the inside is stamped with a 6 point star. Does anyone have any ideas about who could have made it? And would a jeweler stamp a ring if they only replaced the shank? Thank you so much!

20200325_143530.jpg

20200325_143154.jpg

(second picture to show the shape of the shank; there's also a slight bubble/raised spot above the star which you can see on the lower right)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, welcome to the forum :)

I can't answer your question but this thread may be of help:
:)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, that looks more like a stylized sun or star than a six-pointed Star, to me.

Second, I’d focus on trying to decipher the signature next to that sun/star symbol! Seems the first name starts with a “G?”

sevenchances

Rough_Rock
First, that looks more like a stylized sun or star than a six-pointed Star, to me.

Second, I’d focus on trying to decipher the signature next to that sun/star symbol! Seems the first name starts with a “G?”

Interesting! I never thought of that.

Hmm... All I see is the 14k. I'm bad at this haha

Tovah

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I recently bought this ring and assumed the shank was replaced at some point because the shape is more squared off and thicker than my other vintage rings. But then I noticed the inside is stamped with a 6 point star. Does anyone have any ideas about who could have made it? And would a jeweler stamp a ring if they only replaced the shank? Thank you so much!

20200325_143530.jpg

20200325_143154.jpg

(second picture to show the shape of the shank; there's also a slight bubble/raised spot above the star which you can see on the lower right)

The 6 point star is a Star of David and the other Hallmark to the left of it is either the “bubble” you spoke of or it from being sized. And NO, a Jeweller with ETHICS would NEVER stamp a ring that they only replaced the shank on. In some cases with high end Goldsmiths, they have tried to size or replace a shank and use the existing Hallmark so that the Ring can continue to keep it’s Undisputed Credibility. Your statement about the ring being more “squared off” than other vintage rings you have may be because of the high setting and the filigree in the setting so it gives that illusion but it does not appear to be out of any regular shape for this style of ring, to me at least. I wish you would have included a full photo of the front with stone as well as a couple of shots of the inside of the filigree. Do take the time to look inside there as once in a while if an apprentice is making a ring under the tutalidge of a “Master” they have been known to sneak in their own Hallmark and in some cases there are rings that have a second Hallmark by an apprentice and the apprentice has become far more famous than the original Goldsmith. It is very difficult shot to do but one of the Audible and bendable corded lenses that can attach to a phone can be picked up on ebay for a very inexpensive price and you can see a lot more with it as well as taking clearer pictures if you aren’t willing to spend the money on a flexible loop. The raised 6 point star is quite well known in Israel and if you have a chance to go, take it with you and see a good and reputable as well as recommended jeweller for another opinion. I am unsure of the stone but if it is valuable an you do not know a jeweller, I NEVER leave my high end watches or any jewelry with expensive stones in them, over night let alone for 15 minutes. This is for anywhere. Do your research and get referrals. SOLID referrals. Nothing leaves your sight until you are 100% comfortable and trust the jeweller. Almost all are fantastic but it only takes one bad apple and I took my J12 to be checked and the “jeweller” said he did not have the tool to remove the back so could I leave it with him for a couple of days. He was referred to me so I THOUGHT I was in good hands. Well, I have the tool that removes the back off most watches and I opened it and it had absolutely been tampered with and a few parts swapped out. Lesson learned and someone had to write a rather large check to me. So, do not be afraid to stand your ground either. Best to have a great relationship with a jeweller for looking up Hallmarks as well as they have many insider websites and newsletters to put queries out to. Best of luck and I hope I helped a little bit. I admit I had some help.❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results