shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identify unique mercury necklace.

Schwab333

Rough_Rock
Hello, my mother gave me this necklace which she purchased at a church flee market in the early 90s. It is stamped sterling on the back of both wings. The center glass vial holds a small amount of liquid mercury. It's very unique, and seemingly atleast a bit old.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 20170904_235227.jpg 20170904_235335.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this necklace is a remembrance piece or spiritual. The metal pieces are cast. The wings actually look like Ibis , you can see their head and beak running parallel to the length of the wing -- there a bit of a bulge on the tip of the beak at the top of the pendant that says "ibis" to me. Ibis are associated with the dead or spiritual awakening. Mercury is Roman god associated with communication with the dead and being a messager of the gods. Liquid mercury has spiritual significance in pre-Aztec societies and has been discovered under a pyramid in Teotihuacan -- but also has Egyptian associations. So, all together, that leads me to this being either a piece of remembrance or divination made within the last 50-75 years with a blending of Egyptian and roman references.

CharlesPSherwin

Rough_Rock
The necklace is looking as a spiritual piece and is quite old. Kind of a antique jewelry that also contains mercury inside it. And mercury inside it can also be seen as being the communication medium with the dead or spirits and also it looks as the messenger of God.
I have a very strong feeling that it has some kind of Egyptian or Roman reference for the jewelry to take place.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally, I wouldn't hang out with mercury in a vial. It's a neurotoxin. I'd take it to a hazmat disposal and properly dispose of it, so no one (especially young kids) comes into contact with it. It's a cool piece though...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results