shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I want to change my engagement ring band to 1.5mm??

charlielouise

Rough_Rock
This is my first post.

My darling fiance chose & designed my ring all on his own - he chose the diamond (went in 8 times to get the perfect one).

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it I would just prefer a thiner band... I adore the extremely delicate look.

Current band is 2.3mm & I am wanting approx. 1.5mm... (with diamonds around)

What do you think?

My mother thinks a smaller band will make the proportions look weird....

Centre stone is 2.59 ct.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

img_1522.jpg

img_946.jpg

img_2224.jpg

img_3178.jpg

casondra16

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help! I want to change my engagement ring band to 1.5mm?

I actually prefer more delicate bands with larger stones, as well. Of course, I also love to stack rings.

_6498.jpg

_6499.jpg

_6500.jpg

casondra16

Shiny_Rock

I think Blake Lively's is my all time favorite, but I'm an oval girl.

_6501.jpg

charlielouise

Rough_Rock

Yes, I think one of the main reasons I am wanting a smaller band with my main diamond is I want to eventually stack!

With a 1.5mm wedding band & then a 1.5mm pink diamond band.

casondra16

Shiny_Rock

I say 'Go for it'.

Here are some more stacked sets that are AMAZING!!!

_6502.jpg

_6503.jpg

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Definitely go for a thinner micro pave band!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't do it. Most competent jewelers will not make a band that thin. It poses HUGE risks of it being damaged, especially if the metal is made porous to fill w/ diamond melee. And even more risk since your center diamond is so large in comparison. What's going to hold up the diamond? Where's the support going to be? There are many threads on PS advising against overly thin bands.

You should read these. Both you, OP, and casondra.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/thin-vendor’s-dilemma

^I think that apostrophe is breaking the code. Just copy and paste
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/thin-vendor’s-dilemma
into your URL address bar.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

madelise|1369078122|3450625 said:
Don't do it. Most competent jewelers will not make a band that thin. It poses HUGE risks of it being damaged, especially if the metal is made porous to fill w/ diamond melee. And even more risk since your center diamond is so large in comparison. What's going to hold up the diamond? Where's the support going to be? There are many threads on PS advising against overly thin bands.

Agree... it's one thing for celebrities, who probably only wear those rings on special occasions, and who definitely have the money to get a new setting made or a whole new ring if necessary, and it's another thing for people who plan to wear their rings most of the time and who would have any financial difficulty replacing them in the event of damage.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Didn't realize this was SMTB, where I usually don't give unsolicited advice…. but you asked a Q where we usually don't ask Q's :razz: so here's my SMTB answer: Your ring is beautiful. Your melee in your shank is huge. It probably throws off big flashes of light. Why would you want to minimize those beautiful diamonds and minimize those beautiful big flashes of sparkle?

:naughty:

Keep your ring the way it is. It's stunning.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think your ring is just perfectly balanced the way it is... but I see what you are saying about the thinner band. Why not do that for a wedding band - have 2 - one on each side? then you can wear the WB's alone or with your ring, depending on your mood!

But the ering is GORGEOUS! and your sweet FI put so much thought and work into it! I thinks is perfect, just as is! :))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think your ring is beautiful the way it is. I have a 2mm band on my ring with about the same size stone. If you were going any smaller I would save those stones and make a killer wedding band. If you look up on my thread in the box to the left you can get a sense of what that size would look like. I wouldn't go any smaller on your engagement ring for fear of damage. If your ring was damaged you could lose your lovely stone and that would be truly awful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock

I think 1.5mm is too thin, but 2mm (or 1.8) will give you the look you want but with a little more strength. Turn the existing stones into a blingy band!

charlielouise

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your responses! They are highly appreciated.

Firstly, apologises for posting this in the wrong section - clearly I am a newbie!

One of the reasons I want to change the band is because I want the main diamond to have all the attention.

My ring size is 4 so I have very small fingers & hands.

I would be happy with 1.8mm & would definitely keep the diamonds of my current band.

We are getting married early next year so perhaps I could use the diamonds from my current ring for my wedding band?!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

charlielouise|1369097368|3450836 said:
Thank you for your responses! They are highly appreciated.

Firstly, apologises for posting this in the wrong section - clearly I am a newbie!

One of the reasons I want to change the band is because I want the main diamond to have all the attention.

My ring size is 4 so I have very small fingers & hands.

I would be happy with 1.8mm & would definitely keep the diamonds of my current band.

We are getting married early next year so perhaps I could use the diamonds from my current ring for my wedding band?!

If it were me, id put it in a simple solitaire, that way you could get the band down to a 1.8mm or so without having to worry about the strength or integrity of the setting. then id turn those stones in your current setting into your wedding band. That would make it very blingy- blingy enough you might not even need stones in your shank. especially because your stone is so big and your fingers so small (lucky duck!)

because if you are unhappy with it now and its a brand new e ring (not even married yet) i think you wont be happy leaving it alone

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, 1.8 mm is the minimum that is safe when diamonds are set in the shank. 2.3mm is still relatively thin, though.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Honestly I think the problem with your current band is that the diamonds sit waaaaay too far off the finger. And are you SURE it's 2.3mm wide? Like... it really does not look like it to me. idk if it's because it's shared prong instead of pave or what.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I like a thinner band, I would go for something smaller!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

What finger size are you.

While I do like your ring very much the way it is I"m a stacking girl too so I would change the shank. If you ring size is under 5 I would go down to a 1.8mm band. However if you ring size is over 5 I would stick with 1.9mm. I WOULD NOT go under that as I have seen some bands warp and no one babys their band that much. Also if you are going to get a pave band made- make sure the person is compent as pave is an art form.

charlielouise

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all of your replies, highly appreciated!

My ring size is 4 (perhaps 4 & 1/4)

I am contemplating 1.8mm now...

It is such a tough decision to make!

My fiance won't mind in the slightest if I change the band size...

I was thinking 1.8mm micro-pave for my e-ring & then use the diamonds from my current band for an eternity ring & then have a matching 1.8mm micr-pave wedding band OR a simple plain band.

Also, to clarify I double checked the size of band, the diamonds on my current band are 2.3mm so the actual band must be larger than that.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think your ring is stunning! I'm a big fan of micro pave though and love the look of a delicate band, especially when stacked. You really can't make a bad decision either way you go.

Personally, I don't think super thin shanks are very comfortable so you might see if you can try one on and see how it feels before you take the plunge.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It sure looks thin next to your right-hand-ring!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A thin but plain band will put even more attention to your besutiful center stone and enables you to stack. I would use the melee stones for a separate ring. I would not make the setting to thin as you need stability and strength.

Vivian2013

Rough_Rock

Thin band is much better and they make you look more elegant.
:appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

FYI I don't think you will be able to remake your current ring with pave. You will need a whole new setting made...this might have already been mentioned so I apologize if it is a repeat.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock

Your ring is gorgeous, but I do agree how the thickness of the band would interfere with stacking, AND maximizing the appearance of the center stone. Like others, I would go no lower than 1.8mm. You'd be surprised how thin it will appear with the size of your stone. I have a 2.49ct OEC and when I was getting the setting made for it, my jeweler told me they would never go below 1.8mm for a stone that size. They were even advocating at least 2.0mm. I eventually got a taper basket solitaire, 2.3mm at the bottom, coming up to 1.5mm at the top. The basket also helps support the stone. Maybe you can shop around and look at different mm width settings to get an idea of what would look best and keep your diamond safe.

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock

Your diamond is huge! :love: I don't think you'll want to put all that weight on a 1.5mm band. I wouldn't go lower than 2mm because the band will be extremely delicate once you pave it. I have a 1.6ct eternity E-ring and I'm glad that we build the 2mm shank up from the inside to give it extra support so it won't get warped, lose it's shape over time, and cause the melee to fall out. 8)

charlielouise

Rough_Rock

Hello All,

Thank you for all your opinions, it really is highly appreciated!

I told my fiance I was hoping to get a smaller band and he said it was fine!

I am still umming & ahhing about what needs to be done.

I definitely want the diamond sitting higher - I don't know if there's a formal word for that?! Clearly I am a newbie.

I will go no lowers than 1.8mm maybe ever 2mm.

I just need to decide the size of the diamonds.

Thanks so much once again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results