shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, I bought an Uncerted Diamond!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It all started with eBay. I saw a single backlit picture and liked the faceting. When I inquired about the diamond it was an P color SI diamond but was uncerted. There is a two week return policy if I don't like it so all is not lost. Please offer advice and suggestions on where to cert or to appraise prior to considering a cert. Enclosed is a vendor picture. Diamond is an Old European cut. I will take more pictures when it arrives.
$_0.jpg

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
It all started with eBay. I saw a single backlit picture and liked the faceting. When I inquired about the diamond it was an P color SI diamond but was uncerted. There is a two week return policy if I don't like it so all is not lost. Please offer advice and suggestions on where to cert or to appraise prior to considering a cert. Enclosed is a vendor picture. Diamond is an Old European cut. I will take more pictures when it arrives.
$_0.jpg
The pic is too small.. can't see anything?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not sure how to enlarge it but the diamond appears quite yellow, maybe an S-T and to my untrained eye looks rather bubbly. It is a 2 carat stone. If you can offer advice on how to proceed or determine that it is a decent once it is in hand I would be grateful.

Attachments

• $_0.jpg
    $_0.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 30

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you going to post photos? Have you considered an appraiser?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Who knows on the color. I’d make an appointment with an appraiser inside the return window.

It’s hard to tell just from a hand shot, could be awesome, could be a dud. Strictly based on this picture it doesn’t look too bad to me. The facet pattern may not be as organized as I prefer but I do like a big culet!

What sort of project is this stone for?

Please post more pics when it arrives!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you will get it checked out but from the pic it is lovely with nice contrast zones and a pleasing facet pattern. If it was me I would look at it under a 30x loupe for inclusions and or chips. If it passes my inspection then I would get it checked out by my jeweler and get his opinion. With a two week return period the decision will need to be made to keep it or return.

After that I would send it to GIA.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know a really good appraiser in downtown LA if that is convenient. We often arrange to drop pieces off at her office, go visit DKJ, or wander around for an hour or two, and then go pick them up. The appraisal will be emailed to us later in the day, and the original sent by mail. FWIW Insurance Companies use her to appraise high value collections, and she was recommended to us by DKJ.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@leukolenos could you elaborate or provide an example of a more organized facet pattern? I would like to learn more. The diamond is intended for a solitaire. I have been looking for a lower colored stone as a matter of preference in antique cuts.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN thank you for the kind words about the stone. It pleased my uneducated eyes and I love its buttery tint. If the diamond is to be graded under a 10x scope why do you suggest looking under a 30x? Are there any inclusions, I.e. chips, cavities or feathers that are a dealbreaker for you?
@quaddio thank you for the encouraging words.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you will get it checked out but from the pic it is lovely with nice contrast zones and a pleasing facet pattern. If it was me I would look at it under a 30x loupe for inclusions and or chips. If it passes my inspection then I would get it checked out by my jeweler and get his opinion. With a two week return period the decision will need to be made to keep it or return.

After that I would send it to GIA.

+1!
Good luck!! I’m following out of interest in what info you obtain on this pretty stone!!
:kiss2:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs thank you for your generous offer. I have enjoyed following you and your wife's adventures in the colored stone forum. I will be looking for an appraiser in the Chicago area as I live a few hours outside of Chicago.

Reactions: prs

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
GOOD LUCK with the appraisal! If it's a good price AND you said you like it then that's very important. Well as long as it comes back legitimate, I suspect it will. I am interested to follow your journey.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Princess, it occurs to me this diamond might be graded as a light yellow rather than P color or whatever. I guess for sure you need an appraiser who can tell a real diamond from a lab diamond, and can tell if there are any inclusions or other things that might effect the integrity of the stone. So maybe a diamond expert rather than an appraiser?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN thank you for the kind words about the stone. It pleased my uneducated eyes and I love its buttery tint. If the diamond is to be graded under a 10x scope why do you suggest looking under a 30x? Are there any inclusions, I.e. chips, cavities or feathers that are a dealbreaker for you?
@quaddio thank you for the encouraging words.

These are my personal preferences and of course everyone is different. I use a 30x loupe and deal breakers to me would be chips, facet abrasions, moderate to large feathers. My two diamond E-rings are VS clarity without chips so that is my preference. I might accept small carbon spots or feathers if they weren't eye visible. Some people don't mind tiny girdle chips on their antique stones but it bothers me regardless of the price.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@leukolenos could you elaborate or provide an example of a more organized facet pattern? I would like to learn more. The diamond is intended for a solitaire. I have been looking for a lower colored stone as a matter of preference in antique cuts.
Absolutely- I’ll look for some examples a bit later. I agree with @LisaRN about magnified images as well, but it may just be more useful to speak it someone in person who can talk you through what inclusions or chips (if any) there are.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is little difference in price between grades in the P+ range.
Also next to no one has master stones in the this range so it becomes a guess outside of gia.

If its eyeclean, you love it and it was priced right I would not worry that much about a report that much in this range.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Did the vendor have reviews? Other items? A selling history? If yes, I would be confident that an appraisal would be at least similar to the description. And the vendor gave you a return period which is a good sign.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
is it from Ivy and Rose/my diamond zone? Is it weird to say I recognize that hand from inquiries I've made there? I think it looks lovely and definitely has potential, doesn't look like there are any dark inclusions or anything under the table. I've been tempted by a lot of their inventory, they usually have a pretty good eye.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@acv123 you are absolutely correct! It is part of a pair of diamonds though the listing was for just one. I find it really weird that they didn't send it to EGL at least, so accept that I am overpaying but whether for color or clarity or both only the appraiser knows at this point. Of course, there is still the return period?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@acv123 you are absolutely correct! It is part of a pair of diamonds though the listing was for just one. I find it really weird that they didn't send it to EGL at least, so accept that I am overpaying but whether for color or clarity or both only the appraiser knows at this point. Of course, there is still the return period?

you should post the listing pic! I just searched and it looks great, good find! from images it doesn't seem like you are overpaying--I'd be curious to know what accounts for that clarity grade.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That's good to know! I have never purchased anything from them, but they have always been honest and helpful when I've inquired about various things.
When I mentioned facet pattern organization, what I mean is that you sometimes hear people say they are looking for a floral/snowflake/checkerboard/Maltese cross pattern in an old stone. Some stones' patterns are not as well defined or symmetrical. They look chunky, but maybe slightly asymmetric or lack a defined pattern.

I think it's harder to tell set flat against the hand- it's not very flattering to the stone and doesn't really reflect reality since we don't wear diamonds flat against our skin! I almost passed on my most recent stone because I didn't have a stone holder to view it with, I was just looking at it resting against my fingers. Like I said, very unflattering.

I will be very interested to see what you think. It definitely has potential and what really matters is if you love it!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Funny you mention them, because they have agreed to appraise the diamond for me. I am not concerned about color and deliberately sought out a lower colored diamond. Clarity and the nature of the inclusions is by far my greatest concern. I have an intense dislike of clouds and cavities.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cannot believe I am saying this because every time I comment on color, I am of no help, but in this case I see a lot of yellow in the stone. I guess for a "P", that would be a.........Duh!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock

Organised as in symmetrical. Eg AVR’s have an extremely organised facet pattern. Genuine Old mine cuts and some OEC’s typically have a less organised, symmetrical pattern due to the environment and technology at the time they were produced.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know a really good appraiser in downtown LA if that is convenient. We often arrange to drop pieces off at her office, go visit DKJ, or wander around for an hour or two, and then go pick them up. The appraisal will be emailed to us later in the day, and the original sent by mail. FWIW Insurance Companies use her to appraise high value collections, and she was recommended to us by DKJ.

I’d be very interested in a reputable appraiser who is familiar with old cuts, in DTLA (so I don’t have to ship stone). Can you share name with us?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d be very interested in a reputable appraiser who is familiar with old cuts, in DTLA (so I don’t have to ship stone). Can you share name with us?
Gizelle Zohar GIA-G.G., G.P., A.J.P
Director AMERICAN GEMOLOGICAL APPRAISAL

629 South Hill Street, Suite 501, Los Angeles, CA 90014
ph: 213.327.0338 Email: info@americangemologicalappraisal.com

Gizelle is a few yards down Hill Street from David Klass.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results