shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I am new to this & in love with HW style Cushion Cut!

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! So very impressed with how knowledgeable & HELPFUL everyone on here is. I just found PS recently and have been researching cuchion cut halo erings. My mind is spinning with all this new info. I am looking for a Harry Winston style micro page ring with a cushion cut diamond. I am super new to ALL of this & am surprised to find myself intimidated by what I dont know. most of my socail group just drives to the local brick & morter store and buys a ring but they dont have what I want. I am hoping you can help point me in the right direction. My budget is $8k-9k. I am certain that I don't like the 'crushed ice' look of the modified cushions so I suppose I am looking for a Branded Newly Cut Antique Cushion center (but if that's unrealistic w/ my price range then maybe just a Generic Antique Cushion center) OPINIONS APPRECIATED. I am hoping to get at least a 1.5ct center stone ( Although hopefully closer to 1.75?) Maybe I am dreaming and of so, please bring me back to reality because I feel like I am trying to find a needle in a haystack. **this will be an anniversary upgrade ring so I really want it to be be WVERYTHING I want**. Can you recommend what vendors I might call for this? I live in Northern VA and have 1 yr old twins so it is just NOT possible for me to drive and scope out every choice in person. Please point me to someone trustworthy who can help out a girl who just wants to look at her finger and SMILE. :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help! I am new to this & in love with HW style Cushion C

You would need to spend all your budget or more for a 1.5-1.75 cushion, unless you do not mind lower colors, but for most G/H 1.5 cushions is about 10K.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

hey Twinmama,

THIS should answer all your questions. Are you for sure you want a cushion? Many of us have the HW halo with our RBs. So perhaps an option is to just halo your current ering? That would be more budget friendly. Plus you have to remember cushions face up small so if you are looking to get more coverage perhaps sticking with an RB is better. However, if you heart is set on a cushion then many people can help you find something brilliant. I would personally go to Mark or Chris at ERD. If you don't mind buying uncerted diamonds (at least some are) you can contact Adam at Old World Diamonds as he finds beautiful old cuts for great prices.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

ALso yes as someone already mentioned you will have trouble finding that size in your budget plus the setting. These types of setting typically start out at 3k-6k depending on who does it. If you are looking for 2nd market diamonds also check out Jewels by Erica Grace. They might help you find something, though I think they are best at OEC's and you typically don't see OMCs or cushions very often there.

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

That would work except my current ring is a marquise which I cannot stand. I cannot wait to have a ring I love. Let me ask you this thing, I was at one of the retail establishments the other day and they showed me a 1.76 ct, cushion cut, H, SI1 for $8500. I don't remember the measure Kent's specifically. But it was eye clean. If I chose to buy that diamond locally would I just mail that then to someone to make a semi mount for it? Is that a good way to do this? I kind of feel nervous about getting them from different places. But I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

I want to make sure that I don't settle and the ring is exactly what I want. Maybe I just need to buy the diamond and hold off on the setting for a bit until I have $3-5k for it. I have waited 10 years, what's a little while longer.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Definitely read the link in my post as that will answer most of your questions. But for a quick reply yes you can buy the diamond seperately and send it to any bench. You might find the best diamond and setting at once place. I know several ppl (On PS and real life) who have used ERD for both. Most however, look on the net and find the best diamond and then send it out to be set.

I would not buy local as you will always pay more. As for the diamond you posted about we couldn't tell you anything about it with those specs. I'm not an expert with finding diamonds but I do know you need more information then that to determine cut etc.

Really your priorites should be:
Determining what type of cushion you want
Getting the biggest, best cut, whatever color cushion you possible can afford
Then figure out what bench to do the halo. There are many examples on PS of the HW halo with super close up macro-views.
Collect quotes for the halo and then figure out who you want to use.

I hope that helps!

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

That helps so much! Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Twinmama02|1362516178|3397140 said:
That would work except my current ring is a marquise which I cannot stand. I cannot wait to have a ring I love. Let me ask you this thing, I was at one of the retail establishments the other day and they showed me a 1.76 ct, cushion cut, H, SI1 for $8500. I don't remember the measure Kent's specifically. But it was eye clean. If I chose to buy that diamond locally would I just mail that then to someone to make a semi mount for it? Is that a good way to do this? I kind of feel nervous about getting them from different places. But I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Be certain the diamond had a GIA lab report. Otherwise, there is no telling what the stone really is. A 1.7 newly cut antique cushion will cost a lot more than that.

With your budget, you are looking at a stone like this with a $3000 cast setting from Engagement Rings Direct (ERD):

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9876/

ERD does have some antique style cushions as well, but I am not seeing anything compelling in your price range at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results