shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!! Good Cushion or Keep Looking!?

starbright

Rough_Rock
I’m running out of time/energy and can’t look anymore but want to pick the best & biggest diamond for my ring. I’m looking for a Cushion cut around 2 ct. I found this diamond through an online vendor and have already verified the GIA report. Call me shallow but I like the measurements of this diamond especially since I read Cushions of the same carat as Rounds look smaller. Altho I'm still trying to keep the budget below $15k. I have the diamond details and reference diagram below from the GIA report. Is that crystal in the reference diagram going to be easily visible to the naked eye?! I know you see it, it’s big isn’t it, up there towards the middle to top left?? My main concern is looking down at my ring for the rest of my life (hopefully haha jk) and having my eye drawn into that same spot!! Another concern is that the vendor doesn't have a pic of the actual diamond so it’s hard and so much money to be spending....

Cushion Modified Brilliant: Priced between $13 - $14k

Carat 2.05, Color H, Clarity SI2, Table 54%, Depth 69%, Polish - Excellent, Symmetry - Good, Fluorescence – Faint, Measurements 8.09 x 7.11 x 4.91 mm

reference_diagram_0.jpg

Any opinions on this diamond (price, clarity) would be so helpful and/or advice on what I should focus on if you think I need to keep looking??? I want my diamond to "look" beautiful. :confused:

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion would be to call up Good Old Gold. Give them a range of what you are looking for and see what they can source for you quickly. Have them get 2-3 stones in house and make a comparison video for you. That way you get a very good opinion from a vendor as well as get to see how the diamond you might be purchasing looks with your own eyes. To me, that would be a lot easier than buying off of strictly numbers and hoping everything works out fine.

Best of luck in your search!

ViraLovesTiffanys

Rough_Rock
I'd say there is no discount on this diamond what soever, I worked for Fortunoff for many years and I can tell you your best bet is to search for cushions that are between 59-66% depth 1.70-1.99ct instead of worrying about the 2ct marker. 8x7mm is achievable in a smaller ct weight and you can get a much better stone. If you are not near good old gold, look up stones on reputable buying sites and write down the measurements, price, and gia report numbers. Bring it to your local jeweler and ask if they can match the price but that it is important for you to see them in person instead of buying online. Jewelers MIGHT be able to get the same access as the online venders. Hope that helps.

Also, when you look for a cushion...email venders for photos ask them to put it on the hand so you can see if it seems to sparkle on camera and how the size looks from a distance.

ViraLovesTiffanys

Rough_Rock
one more topic, nobody can tell from the gia cert if the crystal u mentioned can be seen with the naked eye. Reason being, if its black and near the pavilion but the sparkle form facets hides it, then no. If its close to the surface of the table, its gonna look like a bug in your crown. These certificates don't tell you how deep in the inclusion is, or if its black or white. another risk of buying online. are you close to NY that you can go to GOG? If you're closer to the city I can recommend venders, but if not try searching on facebook for FINE jewelers in your area...see what you find.

starbright

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses, all very helpful. I don't mind looking under a two carat if I can find those measurements (8x7) and a better stone. Of course the vendor told me this Cushion cut was eye-clean with all white inclusions....fyi it's from blue nile AND the honest truth is neither myself or my bf have $15k to drop on the spot and the payment option to have a year to pay off the diamond without any interest was a great option ....I've only seen it at blue nile too so I've been stuck to mostly looking there but they are reputable right? You think they are telling the truth about it being eye clean with all white inclusions?

I'm actually in MD so NY is not a far trip. Also in all honesty, today is the first time I've heard of GOG so I guess I haven't researched hard enough. Any other jeweler recommendations would help either in NY or somewhere from NY to VA.... Thanks again for the help!!!

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
starbright|1344999340|3251611 said:
Thanks for the responses, all very helpful. I don't mind looking under a two carat if I can find those measurements (8x7) and a better stone. Of course the vendor told me this Cushion cut was eye-clean with all white inclusions....fyi it's from blue nile AND the honest truth is neither myself or my bf have $15k to drop on the spot and the payment option to have a year to pay off the diamond without any interest was a great option ....I've only seen it at blue nile too so I've been stuck to mostly looking there but they are reputable right? You think they are telling the truth about it being eye clean with all white inclusions?

I'm actually in MD so NY is not a far trip. Also in all honesty, today is the first time I've heard of GOG so I guess I haven't researched hard enough. Any other jeweler recommendations would help either in NY or somewhere from NY to VA.... Thanks again for the help!!!

Starbright,

In short, I wouldn't spend more than what you can pay cash for right now. There was another thread on here a few days ago that gave some very helpful advice as to why you shouldn't. Not being judgmental here at all, just trying to be helpful. You should check that thread out.

That said, if you want to make an in-person visit to GOG, from what I hear it is quite the site to see. If it were me, I would go there and pick out something fantastic for now and look at some other stones that I would eventually like to upgrade up into. They have a lifetime upgrade policy, so anything you would spend with them would be applied to what you might upgrade to in the future.

Best of luck to you in your search!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thritto Good Old Gold. Since you save you've never heard of them, here's the link:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/

You can also see Rhino (Jonathan)'s videos teaching you about cushions here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IUy-aHTXpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiTL30UysoI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1bxsPMABo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N0y-E-Xg1M

Jon is OBSESSED with teaching consumers about diamonds. If you can make a trip out to his store, please do! I've been dreaming of visiting GOG for over 3 years now! I have learned SO much from watching his channel in the last few years. Please do yourself the favor and do not deal with vendors that can't even show you pictures of the actual diamond. In order to tell if a diamond will be eye clean, you'll need photos of the diamond. Spending $13-14k just to see the diamond IRL is a waste of $, IMO. I would want photos, videos, and ASET images to tell me about the diamond BEFORE I plunk down $13-14k.

If the only reason you're looking into purchasing from BlueNile is the financing plan, you're going to regret that decision forever. You can get 0% financing for 1 year on most credit cards now. GOG has a 0% interest financing plan, but it's only for 6 months. I won't give you any financial advice because this is a diamond forum, not a financial advice forum.. and you didn't ask for it ;)) But you do have an option for purchasing something more in your budget for now, so that you two can get engaged and plan your union, and then upgrade when you are ready to. GOG's lifetime policies include a +$1 upgrade. You can always trade in your previous diamond to upgrade to another diamond that costs just $1 more. Blue Nile's upgrade policy, as seen here: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-upgrade-program, requires that you trade it in and then spend double the original cost. For a $14k diamond, upgrading to maybe a $17k diamond is a lot more feasible than waiting to upgrade to a $28k diamond.

Besides that, don't focus so much on getting a certain size limit.. If it's not a good cut, it will not perform brilliantly, and will appear smaller. A smaller, ideal performing diamond will appear larger. Get educated and don't rush your purchase just yet :))

starbright

Rough_Rock
Wow!!! You all are really helping me rethink things...about the ring that is!!! :) I need to quickly tell the bf the feedback before he purchases that ring and maybe we'll just make another trip to NY (we were just there 2 weeks ago!). I did not know that about the upgrade policy at blue nile and having to spend double. Yikes. We have the cash but also need it to buy a house next year so I liked not having to pay a lump sum for a ring (I want a nice ring so bad but having a lot of difficulties justifying the price in my mind) so a plan to pay gradually was something that made us feel better. Getting a credit card was not something we wanted to do BUT not something we completely ruled out either. I guess 0% financing for 6 months can work as well.

In my search, I did see Jon's video and loved them! They were very helpful. I also had taken a look at the GOG website soooo maybe I should try and contact them and ask for some videos of my Cushion diamond. We've been comparing this purchase to buying a car and now that I'm thinking about, I'm retarded for thinking about this purchase if I can't even see a pic of the expensive stone!? I would never in a million yrs buy a car without seeing it in PERSON!!!!! :shock:

starbright

Rough_Rock
OOOOOPS!!! I just googled the address of GOG and we were on Long Island 2 weeks ago for a wedding and were only a couple miles away!!!!!!! Ugh! We also agreed that we wouldn't be driving to NY for any reason in the next couple of years because the traffic on the way back was horrific!! lol :loopy:

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
starbright|1345036985|3251746 said:
OOOOOPS!!! I just googled the address of GOG and we were on Long Island 2 weeks ago for a wedding and were only a couple miles away!!!!!!! Ugh! We also agreed that we wouldn't be driving to NY for any reason in the next couple of years because the traffic on the way back was horrific!! lol :loopy:

That's not entirely a bad thing. There are certain advantages to buying online as opposed to in person :D Save that money, put it on your budget, and do your shopping from home. You are some very good and capable hands by working with GOG.

Best of luck to you!

sixweekoldson

Rough_Rock
starbright said:
I’m running out of time/energy and can’t look anymore but want to pick the best & biggest diamond for my ring. I’m looking for a Cushion cut around 2 ct. I found this diamond through an online vendor and have already verified the GIA report. Call me shallow but I like the measurements of this diamond especially since I read Cushions of the same carat as Rounds look smaller. Altho I'm still trying to keep the budget below $15k. I have the diamond details and reference diagram below from the GIA report. Is that crystal in the reference diagram going to be easily visible to the naked eye?! I know you see it, it’s big isn’t it, up there towards the middle to top left?? My main concern is looking down at my ring for the rest of my life (hopefully haha jk) and having my eye drawn into that same spot!! Another concern is that the vendor doesn't have a pic of the actual diamond so it’s hard and so much money to be spending....

Cushion Modified Brilliant: Priced between $13 - $14k

Carat 2.05, Color H, Clarity SI2, Table 54%, Depth 69%, Polish - Excellent, Symmetry - Good, Fluorescence – Faint, Measurements 8.09 x 7.11 x 4.91 mm

Any opinions on this diamond (price, clarity) would be so helpful and/or advice on what I should focus on if you think I need to keep looking??? I want my diamond to "look" beautiful. :confused:

Bluenile is a drop shipper they have never seen the diamond and are just interpreting the lab report (this does not help you very much).
I think you are too hung up on faceup dimensions and carat weight, you need to be more focussed on cut, a bigger diamond with a poor cut can look smaller than a brighter smaller diamond.

I suggest you watch some of the videos posted above or go see some diamonds, the facet plot you posted above is one that usually leads to small flashes of light and a lot of light leakage as its primary goal is to provide a good yield.

A video comparison of this type and size versus something with similar price but with a small size and better cut with a different aesthetic will help you make an informed decision. GOG has been known to make such videos for serious buyers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results