shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for our trip to NYC for Christmas

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are thinking of going to NYC for a couple of days around Christmas time - not sure what exact days yet...

We haven't been there in a while - any hotel recommendations? We've stayed at the W and the Sofitel before - guess we were looking for new ideas...don't really care where in NYC as long as it's a decent neighborhood. I found a few on TripAdvisor but it's so hard to judge from there sometimes.

I would love if we could find something for $150 a night that's really nice and clean and modern, but I'm not holding my breath in NYC...just hoping there are some "gems" out there I haven't heard about. :)

Restaurant recommendations are welcome too!

Thanks! :appl:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I wish I could help with hotels. I stayed at the Park Savoy in midtown last time I was there, and the price was really good, but it was rather noisy (it's on 57th I think between 6th and 7th avenue) and cramped. I checked a handful of dates in Dec. and it looks like it's booked - wherever you go, I'd definitely book quickly.

For restaurants -

I love The Modern, at MOMA. If you love steak and have cash (cash, not credit, not check) to spare, I'd go to Brooklyn and hit Luger's. Yum. There is also a great Ethiopian place in the East Village (Awash on 6th St. between I think either 1st and A or 1st and 2nd). And if you like Chinese, or just Sichuan hot pot, Grand Sichuan in Chinatown definitely has the best pot I've been to (I've also been to a couple places in Chicago and Boston). Um... that's all I can think of, based on personal experience!

Oh and Veniero's in the East Village (on 11th between 1st and 2nd) has AMAZING pastries.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I enjoyed the Lowes on Park Avenue, but the heat was very drying. The only place I've ever gotten a deal was the Grand Hyatt over Grand Central station.

There are plenty of good places to eat, the trick :!: is not to pay a ton of money to eat:

I don't know how adventurous you are about food, but there is a street vender in front of Carnegie Hall, at 57th and 7th. You'll have to look for his sign on the cart, it says Carnegie John. He has perhaps the best cheeseburger in the city and it's under $5. Walk up to the park and eat it if it's not too cold out.

Or go to the Whole Foods at Columbus Circle, there is a HUGE selection of hot deli food (from calamari salad to meatloaf) and excellent sushi. The rotisserie chicken is a good deal for $8, a little pasta salad and it's lunch for 2 for under $15.

My favorite pizza is Angelo's at 57th and 7th, you can split one for $20. Wood fired, very crispy and the sauce is great.

For Chinese, down in Chinatown is Chanoodle, the spring rolls are beyond great.

Basically, you want to go in if a place has the little red Zagat rated logo in their window. That's usually a good bet.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
They sound like great tips. I am so jealous!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions!

iLander - we've stayed at the Lowe's too, but a long time ago...I don't even remember when it was. How was the Hyatt? Did you feel it was clean? Would you go back?

I wouldn't say we're too adventurous with food - but I love the ideas you gave me because I do really enjoy finding the hidden treasures in NYC. We might just have to check out that burger guy for lunch! But I think for dinner we were thinking more traditional restaurants - is Chanoodle nice? Thanks for the tip/reminder to look for the Zagat logo.

B.E.G. - your bangs look gorgeous, by the way. And yes, I know we need to book, and soon! I love Luger's in Brooklyn! But I think we want to stay in NYC the whole time...we love Chinese - and miss good Chinese food - my husband loves General Tso's chicken, and we love dumplins and scallion pancakes, too...but we've never had hot pot - what is that?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We always stay at the Mayfair Hotel on 49th street. It's a great location, and I like the tiny boutique hotel. It's always very clean when we're there, and the staff is very warm and helpful. I've stayed in a lot of W Hotels, though, and The Mayfair will definitely be different than the W, and Sofitel, as it's a boutique and thus more quirky.
The Trip Advisor reviews are mixed, though:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ews-Mayfair_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html
Here's the hotel's site:
http://www.mayfairnewyork.com/

We're huge deli people, so we always eat at the Roxy's in the Theatre District. Nothing like a pound of corned beef for lunch! :cheeky:

Enjoy your trip! I love New York.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008 said:

iLander - we've stayed at the Lowe's too, but a long time ago...I don't even remember when it was. How was the Hyatt? Did you feel it was clean? Would you go back?

I wouldn't say we're too adventurous with food - but I love the ideas you gave me because I do really enjoy finding the hidden treasures in NYC. We might just have to check out that burger guy for lunch! But I think for dinner we were thinking more traditional restaurants - is Chanoodle nice? Thanks for the tip/reminder to look for the Zagat logo.

B.E.G. - your bangs look gorgeous, by the way. And yes, I know we need to book, and soon! I love Luger's in Brooklyn! But I think we want to stay in NYC the whole time...we love Chinese - and miss good Chinese food - my husband loves General Tso's chicken, and we love dumplins and scallion pancakes, too...but we've never had hot pot - what is that?

I think the Hyatt is very clean, we've stayed there 3 times over the years, and never had a cleanliness issue. if you're going on the weekend, because it's primarily a business hotel, they sometimes have a weekend special. We always called their desk direct and asked for the special and got a good price. I would not hesitate to go back. It was our "consistent, reliable" hotel there.

If you want a sit-down burger, try the burger joint at the Parker Meridian hotel. Not during business lunch hour, though, there are long lines! It costs more, but 2 can eat for $25. It's on 56th between 6th and 7th.

Chanoodle is clean, it's family owned, but it's not fancy at all. It's pretty authentic though; they don't have egg rolls or fortune cookies. Their food is incredibly fresh, and it is the only place in Chinatown where I will order shrimp without hesitating.

This is an excellent website, polling working people that need to eat lunch cheaply in Midtown every day. I've picked up a lot of good tips from them. http://midtownlunch.com/2010/01/04/best-midtown-lunches-as-voted-on-by-you-2009-edition/

If you REALLY want an inside tip, go to Sun Say Kai at the corner of Walker street and Baxtet Street (right by Chanoodle) and order the Baked pork rolls. Baked, not steamed. They are a dollar each and are DIVINE! Order 4-5 at the counter, to go, and feast as you walk through Chinatown. My DH had Chinese roommates when he went to school up there, and they always ate those. They are oddly addicting. My DD made them herself, from scratch, and with all the marinating, etc., it took 2 full days. They are seriously good and a real bargain.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ILander--Your description of those baked pork rolls has me drooling over here. Too bad I'm far away in Illinois.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the tips you've left me in the meantime - I'll check them out in more detail later (I'm so excited I'm already mourning there won't be time to do all the stuff I'll want to do! :appl: )

I've been finding some decent rates for what look to be clean hotels but now I AM wondering about the neighborhood...it would be nice to be in a good location - I don't have to be in the center of everything, but I don't want a desolate area, either...if anybody can give me feedback on these, that'd be great...

Hampton Inn - 851 Eighth Avenue

Ink48 | 653 11th Avenue at 48th

Staybridge Suites - 340 WEST 40TH STREET

iLander

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008 said:
Thanks for all the tips you've left me in the meantime - I'll check them out in more detail later (I'm so excited I'm already mourning there won't be time to do all the stuff I'll want to do! :appl: )

I've been finding some decent rates for what look to be clean hotels but now I AM wondering about the neighborhood...it would be nice to be in a good location - I don't have to be in the center of everything, but I don't want a desolate area, either...if anybody can give me feedback on these, that'd be great...

Hampton Inn - 851 Eighth Avenue

Ink48 | 653 11th Avenue at 48th

Staybridge Suites - 340 WEST 40TH STREET

I don't like the far west side (Ink 48) it's pretty desolate, hard to get a cab. I think 8th is okay, but not sure if you want to be so far south.

To get a better idea, put the addresses in google maps then use the streetview. That's the little man in the corner, drag him to the location you want and an actual view of the location will show up. You can use the arrows to move around on the street. Also, click on search nearby and enter the things that would make it less desolate to you like "grocery" or "restaurant" and see how many show up.

Did you try the AKA hotel on 58th? Very clean, very modern and right near everything. I'm not sure they are on expedia.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
nice green bo in chinatown-- for the best chinese food in the city and the most delicious scallion pancakes! dinner for two would be about $15!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
The better half had a good experience at the 3030 hotel (30 East 30th)

and a really fun place to eat is Ellens Stardust Diner. The wait staff sings and performs while you eat. 1650 Broadway

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008 said:

Thanks CJ! You're a sweetheart!

As for hot pot - it's DELICIOUS. It's basically like fondue - you have a soup base - either hot or mild, or half and half - and you get an assortment of meats, vegetables, noodles, that you dip in and cook. It's sooooo good - I miss it! If you go to Grand Sichuan, I think the lamb and the pork were the ones I loved.

Here's a more detailed description - Wiki

They also have all the traditional dishes too, BUT actually, for regular Chinese, I prefer the Grand Sichuan on St. Mark's in the East Village. They have this amazing dry Sichuan spicy chicken that is TDF.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
this thread makes me want to cry! I used to go to New York 1-2 times a year for about 3-4 years in a row....and I haven't been in two years (wedding, baby, and now another baby on the way).

We always try to stay at the Novotel...we just love the location (right next to The Gershwin Theatre...we see Wicked everytime we go to NY) and the view....I've also stayed at two other hotels but I of course can't remember the name of them now...I know one was a holiday inn (just can't remember which one) and the other I think was the Milford Plaza (They were doing construction while I was there so I'm assuming it's a bit nicer now).

We also always eat at Ellen's Stardust Diner(The last time I was there though...it wasn't as fun as the times before.). And Maria Pia..it's a small little Italian place with delicious dessert.

We also eat at Osteria al doge--again with the delicious dessert....Tyra Banks was there once and she acted pretty weird...no one was even bothering her or trying to talk to her and she was acting like there was a million people bothering her when she was leaving and she acted like Paparazzi were outside bothering her and there was literally no one there...she's ridiculous! haha.

If you are doing touristy things...we always go to Top of the Rock instead of the Empire State Building.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
OH how I could I forget one of my favorite nice restaurants???? I LOVE Le Colonial. As far as I know, they have restaurants in NYC, Chicago and San Francisco. I've been to the one in Chicago several times and once to the one in NYC, and their food (French-Vietnamese fusion) is divine. Sooooo good. I HIGHLY recommend the crispy spring rolls, the Bo Sate (super tender beef cubes), the lemongrass chicken, the red snapper, and the duck. And get the Vietnamese coffee afterwards. Agggh now I'm hungry.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G. said:
Oh and Veniero's in the East Village (on 11th between 1st and 2nd) has AMAZING pastries.

I can 2nd Viniero's on 11th st btwn 1st and 2nd ave. BEST CANNOLI's in the WORLD!! (I live walking distance from there).

Good down to earth Restaurants around that area too (esp down 2nd ave).

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I just recently stayed at the Hyatt Andaz Wall Street! Because it is on Wall Street they are used to business people during the week so they offer weekend specials. It was beautiful and in perfect walking distance to soho, chinatown, etc. It was nice and quiet too! Very modern, and the nice thing... it is brand spanking new!! Great concierge too!
http://newyork.wallstreet.andaz.hya...BECF097E9A3B279A443F232F367CD6.atg08-prd-atg2

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
atroop711 said:
B.E.G. said:

I can 2nd Viniero's on 11th st btwn 1st and 2nd ave. BEST CANNOLI's in the WORLD!! (I live walking distance from there).

Good down to earth Restaurants around that area too (esp down 2nd ave).

Ohhh and the fruit tarts ... heavenly.

And if you're near there, stop by Sundaes n Cones on 10th St/3rd Ave. They have delicious ice cream and some unusual flavors too (the black sesame is awesome).

And Bon Chon Chicken in Koreatown (32nd St/5th Ave) has such good Korean fried chicken (either teriyaki or spicy). Even my ex, who is a diehard Southern fried chicken fan, admits Bon Chon chicken is the best. And the beer comes in these cool lava lamp-like cooler thingies :razz:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven - I love NY too. Thanks for the hotel recommendation. I wish we liked quirky hotels! But the couple of times we tried doing anything other than a "regular" hotel (like a B&B) we ended up not liking it. So now we know better.

iLander - thank you so much for all your awesome food suggestions - I'm going to feel like a real New Yorker when I go. :) Thanks for the tips about the locations, too. I figured out that 2 of those hotels are right by the Port Authority bus terminal so I'm sure that's not the best area...AKA hotel looks really nice...but when I checked, it was more than we want to spend.

Taovandel - I had a work colleague who ate at Osteria all the time - he loved it. I'll check out Novotel - thanks.

B.E.G. - Thanks for all the awesome food and dessert ideas - I hope you'll keep posting as you think of more! I'm going to come back 20 pounds heavier...I have to take out the map again and start orienting myself to where the places you're telling me about are from each other so we can plan out which place we'll hit when. :) Any places you recommend for baba rums? :cheeky: (not even sure if i'm spelling that right)

marypoppins - I know bedbugs have been a problem...I wish it wasn't something we needed to think about, but yuck...thanks for teh reminder, and for the resource

atroop - haven't been there in forever - but I remember really liking 2nd avenue. Is that where Sans Culottes is? I don't even know if that restaurant's still around but for some reason I seem to remember it being around that area...

lizzy - Andaz looks really cool - I'll check it out more, since you say it's walking distance to Chinatown and Soho.

tina - thanks! I'll look up green bo

I hope I didn't miss anyone!

On another note I'd love to do something as a surprise for DH - like maybe taking him to a really cool sports bar or something - or something else a guy might enjoy - any ideas?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008 said:
Haven - I love NY too. Thanks for the hotel recommendation. I wish we liked quirky hotels! But the couple of times we tried doing anything other than a "regular" hotel (like a B&B) we ended up not liking it. So now we know better.

iLander - thank you so much for all your awesome food suggestions - I'm going to feel like a real New Yorker when I go. :) Thanks for the tips about the locations, too. I figured out that 2 of those hotels are right by the Port Authority bus terminal so I'm sure that's not the best area...AKA hotel looks really nice...but when I checked, it was more than we want to spend.

Taovandel - I had a work colleague who ate at Osteria all the time - he loved it. I'll check out Novotel - thanks.

B.E.G. - Thanks for all the awesome food and dessert ideas - I hope you'll keep posting as you think of more! I'm going to come back 20 pounds heavier...I have to take out the map again and start orienting myself to where the places you're telling me about are from each other so we can plan out which place we'll hit when. :) Any places you recommend for baba rums? :cheeky: (not even sure if i'm spelling that right)

marypoppins - I know bedbugs have been a problem...I wish it wasn't something we needed to think about, but yuck...thanks for teh reminder, and for the resource

atroop - haven't been there in forever - but I remember really liking 2nd avenue. Is that where Sans Culottes is? I don't even know if that restaurant's still around but for some reason I seem to remember it being around that area...

lizzy - Andaz looks really cool - I'll check it out more, since you say it's walking distance to Chinatown and Soho.

tina - thanks! I'll look up green bo

I hope I didn't miss anyone!

On another note I'd love to do something as a surprise for DH - like maybe taking him to a really cool sports bar or something - or something else a guy might enjoy - any ideas?

CJ, unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for baba rums :( I've never had them before!

Although if you like bubble tea, I highly recommend Saints Alp Teahouse on 3rd between 9th and 10th Streets. They also have really great spring rolls, and milk toast (toast drizzled with sweetened condensed milk!).

Oh I just remembered - I LOVED Las Ramblas, a tapas place in the West Village. Sooooo good. It's on W 4th St. between Cornelia and Jones Streets. It's super small though and the wait times can be pretty long, so go on an off day. And right next to it is this Mexican place (I ended up eating there once when I was too hungry to wait for Las Ramblas). The food was ok, but the guacamole and salsa were divine. I think it's Tio Pepe, and owned by the same guy who owns Las Ramblas.

Ooh and I loved Cafe Centosette, on 2nd Ave/10th Street. They have a great vodka sauce pasta.

I also really liked Akina Sushi on 14th St./1st Ave. They have a great miso soup and yummy edamame, and the rolls are really good too. Of course, no NYC sushi place I went to (and I tried a LOT) can compare to Toro Sushi in Chicago, but Akina was pretty good.

And if you like frozen yogurt, Pinkberry and Red Mango, right across the street from one another on St. Mark's and 3rd Ave.

I've also heard Momofuku Milk Bar is awesome but I actually never went so no firsthand recommendation there - but if you're interested it's on 2nd Ave/13th St.

And finally - cupcakes. I'm not that big a fan of Magnolia. I tried out Butter Lane (on 7th St. between 1st and A) because it was right across the street from where I was living at the time, and it was ok but not fabulous. But I really love Crumbs (you can find them in several locations in Manhattan but I know for sure there's one right around the Village, and another in midtown). Their Red Velvet is amazing, plus they also have these BIG cupcakes meant for sharing. Yum!

I really like food :)

ETA: I wish I could help with the sports bar! Unfortunately, the only ones I went to were soccer bars. But the one I went to I really liked (and I don't really like bars or sports bars in general). It was called Nevada Smiths, and it's on 3rd Ave between 11th and 12th. I liked the atmosphere and it was a lot of fun, plus there's a nail salon I really like about half a block from it (Renew & Relax, on 3rd between 10th and 11th) and it's right around the corner from Sundaes n Cones (10th and 3rd) and a block or two from Saints Alp Teahouse (3rd between 9th and 10th).

But my favorite bar in NY is actually in Brooklyn (sorry, I know you said you wanted to stay in Manhattan). It's Union Hall in Park Slope (it's super easy to get there though - I think the NRW lines might go straight to it?). I love the bar, great beers (and I hate beer), two bocce ball lanes!!, and a great atmosphere, with couches, bookshelves, etc. If you ever have extra time, I would check it out!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much BEG for all your tips! I can tell you love your food, and I love that! I'm the same way.

And I'm crossing my fingers that cute vet is into food too ;)) - how much would that be? :appl:

Baba rums are these rum soaked sponge cake type deserts with custard...they are so good I cannot even describe it. :cheeky:

I'm not a sports bar fan either - but for the experience, if something was really cool, just to go in and have a beer. I couldn't think of anything else like a place to surprise him with.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions and help! :))

Steel

Ideal_Rock
CJ, how have your plans come along?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for following up on this Steal!

I miss you!

It turns out we might be staying at a friend's house about an hour away from the city - so we're kind of leaving the planning up to them - I did tell them I at least want to hit one of the restaurant ideas I've gotten from here, though, because I was so excited about it! I'm a little disappointed we won't be staying IN the city, but we haven't seen our friends in a long time and going with them, even if not every day, will be fun.

Things good with you and your lovely kitty? I am forgetting her name right now or whether it's a girl or a boy (sorry! :() but I remember something really bad/sad with her/his eye...did he/she fully recover?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1292195808|2795141 said:
Thanks for following up on this Steal!

I miss you!

It turns out we might be staying at a friend's house about an hour away from the city - so we're kind of leaving the planning up to them - I did tell them I at least want to hit one of the restaurant ideas I've gotten from here, though, because I was so excited about it! I'm a little disappointed we won't be staying IN the city, but we haven't seen our friends in a long time and going with them, even if not every day, will be fun.

Things good with you and your lovely kitty? I am forgetting her name right now or whether it's a girl or a boy (sorry! :() but I remember something really bad/sad with her/his eye...did he/she fully recover?

My pleasure CJ. Yeah, I never seem to be posting when you are posting. But I'm still around - just a little quieter.

You know, I'll bet you have an even better time now. Essentially you have your buddies to be your get-in-get-out and get-it-done tour guides. You won't spend time faffing about not knowing where to go or how to get there. I bet you have a blast. If you remember - try to post a pic or two for us 'not going to NYC PS'ers'. I know I'd love to see them.

It’s so sweet you remembered Lissey (<-------) Would you Adam & Eve it, she made a full recovery. The vet was flabbergasted. We gave her one last steroid shot so we could pamper her and say our goodbyes and arranged for the vet to come here to euthanise her. But she stopped being sick, her eye was opaque at the time but it completely cleared up, she started eating and taking interest in kitty things etc. She is my special girl. :love: Thanks again for asking about her.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lissey! Yes! So glad she's OK! :appl:

And yes, at first I was disappointed about not staying there but then...well, now I'm seeing the plus to it. I'll post some pictures when we return - I'm sure it will mostly be of FOOD. haha

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I hope you have such a great time. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results