shape
carat
color
clarity

Help for MissyDebby: This sapphire from Gemfix?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! I was wondering if you good folk over here in the colored stone forum could help me out 8)

What are your thoughts on this stone?
It's a 1.16 Montana Teal Sapphire in a Portuguese cut.

1.16%20Montana%20Teal%20Sapphire%20VVS.jpg

I'm wondering what you think of the quality?

Also, it's from GemFix. Does anyone have any experience with this company? Are they good/reliable?

There is also this Mali Garnet, a 1.01 VVS Asscher cut

1.01%20vvs%20Mali%20Garnet.jpg

What I like about this one is that it is gonna be for a Mother's Ring. My birthstone is garnet and my daughter's birthstone is peridot. I find this hue slightly nicer than peridot and it's cool cause it's sorta both of our stones combined. Plus the asscher cut was developed by Dutch people and her father is Dutch. So perfect in many ways... here's my questions... how does the cut look? And how durable is Mali garnet. Could I wear this everyday without worry?

THANKS so MUCH!!!! :bigsmile:

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI MissyDebby! Personally I find the sapphire very 'steely' in the photo, it will probably be pretty grayish IRL I believe. But as always beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder:)

The mali asscher is pretty and bright though ::)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the Mali garnet. :love:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked to see what Dana Reynolds and Dan Stair have available? I know they both had Montana sapphires available on their websites recently, and not only do both of them cut very nice gems, in my experience, they will answer any questions you have completely and honestly. I find their prices good based on the value of what you're getting. Based on the Gemfix photo, I'd check out some other options before committing to that stone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deb,

*much* prefer the cutting and colour on the mali - however, considering your other thread in RT (re that this will likely go in a Leon 3 or 5 stone) I feel the asscher is too small in the 1ct size to hold its own in such a setting.

Seeing as you will be forking out decent $ to have this gem set in a LM, why not go for something a lil more special and have
one of the excellent precision facetors cut you something to order?

Jeff White's asscher cuts are loved by many - I can highly recommend dropping him an email, he has a lot of rough in all varieties which is not listed on his site.
I would also recommend Gene from Precision Gem; Barry Bridgestock (although he only occasionally cuts a kind of modified asscher);
Gary Braun of Finewater gems does lovely everything, including asschers;
and, not sure of your budget but John Dyer has a wide selection on his site - his cuts are really the 'cream of the crop', however everyone I've mentioned does excellent work.

Personally, I have not dealt with nor heard much about Gemfix.

I can understand your hesitation toward peridot - it is not one of my favoured gems either. A mali is a great choice as they are very bright and dispersive gems - I recently saw a pair of cushion cut mali earrings and I swear those suckers rival yellow diamonds for colour and sparkle :love:
In my opinion, a nice 'mix' between a peridot-like green but in a garnet, is this apple green gem from Gene. Not to everyone's tastes, but thought you may like it? It is sold, but you could always inquire after other rough...

apple.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a beautiful gem AJ!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is a bit too grey for my taste, but you may like that. The Mali is pretty, but I would ask if it color shifts to a more brown color in certain lighting. An asscher tends to face up very small because when cut properly, they are a very deep cut. Andrew of Gemfix describes that Mali as golden green, which tells me there might be some brown in it. I honestly don't see the brown in the photo and it looks yellowish green, which tells me his camera isn't getting the color correctly. :confused:

As to your question, can you wear that everyday without worry, I personally feel any garnet is prone to damage if worn everyday. Did you also look at chrysoberyls? They are faceted yellowish green to greenish yellow stones, and have a very durable hardness, 8.5 on the Moh's scale. Many have a lot of grey and/or brown in them, but when the color is fine, they're REALLY beautiful and have awesome luster and sparkle. When cut well, they can also be dispersive.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
ooooo thanks so much for the vendor list, AJ. I just surfed around the sites, and shot off an email to Precision Gems

I'll keep you posted...

anyway, I am so leaning towards the mali garnet cause of it's so bright and dispersiony. And it's like a million times better to my pocket book than some other gems, you know?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
The sapphire is a bit too grey for my taste, but you may like that. The Mali is pretty, but I would ask if it color shifts to a more brown color in certain lighting. An asscher tends to face up very small because when cut properly, they are a very deep cut. Andrew of Gemfix describes that Mali as golden green, which tells me there might be some brown in it. I honestly don't see the brown in the photo and it looks yellowish green, which tells me his camera isn't getting the color correctly. :confused:

As to your question, can you wear that everyday without worry, I personally feel any garnet is prone to damage if worn everyday. Did you also look at chrysoberyls? They are faceted yellowish green to greenish yellow stones, and have a very durable hardness, 8.5 on the Moh's scale. Many have a lot of grey and/or brown in them, but when the color is fine, they're REALLY beautiful and have awesome luster and sparkle. When cut well, they can also be dispersive.

I will totally ask precision gems about crysobels, too. Get info tourmaline lover. very very helpful!

breezing

Rough_Rock
i have three stones from andrew of gemfix - nothing but a good experience. his shop is in the jewelry exchange building in downtown san diego which is nice because if you're local or in the area you can actually play with the stone yourself. i've seen that small mali and there is no brown in it, it's very pretty and very gemmy, if you want a "sparkler" you wouldn't want it. the only negative thing i can say about it is it is small and it sounds like you need something with a little more presence for your project. spectralgems has a 2.44 ct chrysoberyl asscher that i have been drooling over and would appreciate it if you purchased it and put me out of my misery :bigsmile:

edited to add the chrysoberyl

Lg-ChrysoberylCush2_44ct.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Big ditto on AJ's post.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I personally don't think a 1ct asscher is too small to hold its own, but I tend to prefer small stones. I've been known to wear 3-4mm solitaires.

I also like the color of the Montana sapphire a lot! But I like unusual or "less desirable" colors and don't mind a decent amount of grey. It's all about personal preference.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
breezing said:
i have three stones from andrew of gemfix - nothing but a good experience. his shop is in the jewelry exchange building in downtown san diego which is nice because if you're local or in the area you can actually play with the stone yourself. i've seen that small mali and there is no brown in it, it's very pretty and very gemmy, if you want a "sparkler" you wouldn't want it. the only negative thing i can say about it is it is small and it sounds like you need something with a little more presence for your project. spectralgems has a 2.44 ct chrysoberyl asscher that i have been drooling over and would appreciate it if you purchased it and put me out of my misery :bigsmile:

edited to add the chrysoberyl

Breezing,
Thanks for your review of Gemfix. It is a very tempting site, I will admit. :naughty:

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:
packrat said:
That's a beautiful gem AJ!

I agree. AJ is a gem temptress :D

mua ha ha....curls fingers together in a Mr Burnes - like motion :devil: :D

I agree, it is likely my favourite of Gene's cuts..

Debby, did you have any luck on your hunt as yet?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hey AJ! Sorry for not updating. I also have another thread on this subject in Rocky Talky. OK, so I'm veering towards green sapphire... color wise and hardness wise. But I also have an email into Precision Gems about Mali Garnet and Chrysobel options. Have also an email into to John at GOG about possibly getting a green diamond cut as an AVround or green sapphire cut as an Octavia asscher. Getting my feelers out pricewise. Lastly, there is one other option, a greenish yellow 1 carat radiant from Diamonds By Lauren. I'm expecting some photos and more info on that.

I'll let you know.... :cheeky:

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Re your question about Gemfix:

I've bought many stones from Gemfix/Andrew. He is reliable and honest. If you ask him about a stone, he will tell you the pluses/minuses. He has won many industry awards for his cutting, BTW. I have bought from him both in person at Tucson and online/mail, both experiences exemplary.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I too have purchased from Gemfix. Peridot and Amethyst, I am very happy with both of them. Colors are as represented in the photos and they arrived really fast.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if it's because I've asked too many questions and he's annoyed with me but lately I haven't been receiving responses from Gemfix when I ask questions about the gems on offer. I think Andrew's work is amazing but I personally haven't bought anything because my questions have not been answered.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies ladies.

Anywho, an update. Got an email back from Gene at Precision Gems. He says: "I think a Mali garnet in an assher may not show the stone to it's best advantage. A mali has as much dispersion as a diamond, but an asscher cut wouldn't show case it."

He forgot to answer about it's suitability for an everyday ring. So I'll ask about that. More later...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hey Deb,
he he, I am not surprised by Gene's reply-he really dislikes cutting asschers, has said as much in the past, and you pretty much need to twist his arm these days (if he'll do it at all) ;-)
However in this case I do agree with his reasoning against choosing the cut; how about a nice bright cushion instead? You could have one done with cut corners so the outline would still resemble an asscher-and Gene cuts a mean cushion :bigsmile:
As to the second part of your post, it is generally advised that garnets are not suitable for everyday wear-however there are a number of variables involved. How you plan to set it will be important, as is how gentle are you on your rings? For example, I wear my ering every day, but just to the office or class than I put it away once home or for activities. My point being, this may be quite different to other folks' take on every day wear, kwim?.
You didnt ask advice but hear it is anyway ;)) buy what you love and wear and enjoy it. It is not an extremely rare or expensive gem if (forbid) you did end up needing to replace. ::) Good luck with your continued search :wavey:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
OK, my good people of colored stones. Here's what I've narrowed things down if I go for this style ring and I need your direction.

This Leon Mege:

Leon%20Mege%20green%20garnet%203%20stone,%20cf.jpg

If I don't go for the painfully expensive option of a greenish/yellow or chameleon diamond which do you think is better and why?
1.30 ish green oval Chrysoberyl with .40-.50 AVround side stones
1.30 ish oval Tsavorite garnet with a .40 -.50 AVround side stones

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi MissyDebby,
I vote for Chrysoberyl because it's a more durable ring gem.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
... But I guess it depends if you plan to wear the ring everyday...

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
yeah it would be for everyday... Gene at Precision Gem that it was plenty hard enough... but I'm liable to kill it anyway.

Saw some pretty tsavs on the Swala sight. Swoon...

EDIT: I'm generally not loving the Chrysoberyls. sigh. But I can now sorta imagine the Tsavs. And the prices are so good. I mean, if I did kill it, the replacement cost would be alright.

What's youse guy's thoughts on this. I'll go check things out in person when I'm back in the States, even if I don't go this direction... just for future reference at least. But I'm curious as to developing my eye a bit. I like the chunky facets here. Is there anything I'm missing?

The description says "This gem is part of a parcel of top colored tsavorites. The hue is pure green, not too dark, not too light. Perfect! Tsavorites from this parcel are all highly recommended. "

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
yeah it would be for everyday... Gene at Precision Gem that it was plenty hard enough... but I'm liable to kill it anyway.

Saw some pretty tsavs on the Swala sight. Swoon...

EDIT: I'm generally not loving the Chrysoberyls. sigh. But I can now sorta imagine the Tsavs. And the prices are so good. I mean, if I did kill it, the replacement cost would be alright.

What's youse guy's thoughts on this. I'll go check things out in person when I'm back in the States, even if I don't go this direction... just for future reference at least. But I'm curious as to developing my eye a bit. I like the chunky facets here. Is there anything I'm missing?
The description says "This gem is part of a parcel of top colored tsavorites. The hue is pure green, not too dark, not too light. Perfect! Tsavorites from this parcel are all highly recommended. "

Hi Debby!!! OOOHh, you are going to get me into trouble! I saw your thread on rt and came over here and everybody's posting all these lucious pics!! I loved the green diamond (.97) you found and the quality/price seemed really great, but I wondered about it being a radiant. You soo loved your cushions, that I was surprised you weren't going for chunky facets. But, variety is good too!

Anyway, the LM ring I believe, (option 2 - btw, your daughter is a LM junkie too it seems - lol), looks to be more cushion shaped. I think if you want that setting, it might look best with a cushion or possibly oval? I think maybe because of the curves?

Now, if you decide asscher, I can always understand that, LOVE those windows so I'm loving option 3 also.

In general, I think I like the idea of a gemstone instead of the diamond. I like the beautiful colors, put some diamonds around it or tuck it into a LM and WHALLAH!!

Please keep us posted and I'll start watching .

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
vbnet said:
Hi Debby!!! OOOHh, you are going to get me into trouble! I saw your thread on rt and came over here and everybody's posting all these lucious pics!! I loved the green diamond (.97) you found and the quality/price seemed really great, but I wondered about it being a radiant. You soo loved your cushions, that I was surprised you weren't going for chunky facets. But, variety is good too!

Anyway, the LM ring I believe, (option 2 - btw, your daughter is a LM junkie too it seems - lol), looks to be more cushion shaped. I think if you want that setting, it might look best with a cushion or possibly oval? I think maybe because of the curves?

Now, if you decide asscher, I can always understand that, LOVE those windows so I'm loving option 3 also.

In general, I think I like the idea of a gemstone instead of the diamond. I like the beautiful colors, put some diamonds around it or tuck it into a LM and WHALLAH!!

Please keep us posted and I'll start watching .

Hey VB Darling!!!!
I think I'm having my midlife crisis and Leon is my Ferrari!

I'm gonna be the first to admit this, but I'm insane. I wasn't even in the market, and just decided to check out some prices and got reeled back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
OK, my good people of colored stones. Here's what I've narrowed things down if I go for this style ring and I need your direction.

This Leon Mege:

Leon%20Mege%20green%20garnet%203%20stone,%20cf.jpg

If I don't go for the painfully expensive option of a greenish/yellow or chameleon diamond which do you think is better and why?
1.30 ish green oval Chrysoberyl with .40-.50 AVround side stones
1.30 ish oval Tsavorite garnet with a .40 -.50 AVround side stones

The Leon pictured above is my ring. To give you an idea of dimensions, the center stone is about an 8x6 oval and the side stones are about 4x3 ovals. The ring is size 7 1/4.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A chrysoberyl will be your best bet in terms of price, colour and durability (wearability). A tsavorite will be much costlier and also is softer which will require more care and gentle wear. Also, the price goes up exponentially as the size hits over 2 carats and upwards.

As for shape, the design you are looking at might clash with an asscher cut. A step cut is sharp and all angles while the ring design is soft lines and curves,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results