shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding someone to restore Grandma’s ring

Emerald_Isle13

Rough_Rock
8740F1B6-965F-4BEC-9B87-B57D9CBF2191.jpeg 3DCDBB8D-7DB9-4C0F-ADD7-FE125FF0040E.jpeg A07F0F2B-3E7C-4AF1-A104-DB659F84C6EE.jpeg A9A7425B-824B-4A2E-B9BA-77DC9ECFF076.jpeg
This ring I think is really worth restoring. I was told the missing stones were most likely sapphires or emeralds. My mom thinks maybe emeralds because they were my grandmothers birth stone. She always wore it with her wedding band but I had only ever known the stones to be missing. I know the prongs need to fixed because a jeweler has told me they were worn down and not to wear it to avoid losing any other stones. I also need it sized down. Does anyone know someone really good and reliable. It has a lot of sentimental value so I’m very nervous about taking it just anywhere. Thanks for the help!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This jeweler has a few examples of before and after restoration work. His father is a lapidary so they’re a one-stop shop.
https://instagram.com/cjd_sako?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1ctg96a3z8kba

This jeweler is extremely well respected in the antique jewelry community and has done countless repairs and restorations.
https://instagram.com/estatejewelrymama?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=uosd0rb16mb2

I’d suggest reaching out to both to see what they can do and what they’ll charge.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I recall, I think David Klass did some restoration on an antique ruby & diamond ring for a PSer? @mrs-b was it yours?

I’m sure he could do it for you though, regardless. He has restored & re-etched milgrain & engraving on antique rings before. Might be worth asking him? It’s such a beautiful ring & would look completely transformed with the correct TLC!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T - he did some on mine, but not like this. I know he also did a wonderful diamond band restoration for someone else, and it was stunning.

I'd be interested to know why the colored stones are missing, and if it's due to structural integrity. If so, it's possible this can't be restored.

@Emerald_Isle13 - do you want to get this restored purely for sentimental reasons? I don't think the ring has a lot of monetary value, so if sentiment and warm memories are your motivation, I think that's the best reason to do it. Failing being able to restore it, perhaps you could buy a matched small pair of emeralds, make a 5 stone, and use the metal in your current setting, so as to retain as much of the original ring as possible.

Emerald_Isle13

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations, I will email him and see what he says.

@mrs-b I just want it restored for purely sentimental reasons. I don’t think it’s worth much but if i could get it repaired I can enjoy it and then maybe pass it on to one of my nieces when they are grown. My grandmother did not have a lot of jewelry but she always wore this with her wedding band whenever she dressed up. So I think it’s the closest thing she considered to an engagement ring that she had. She had lot of diamonique but always wore this, I’ve had it sitting in my sitting in my jewelry box for 17yrs now so I thought I’d see what I can do with it.

Emerald_Isle13

Rough_Rock
This jeweler has a few examples of before and after restoration work. His father is a lapidary so they’re a one-stop shop.
https://instagram.com/cjd_sako?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1ctg96a3z8kba

This jeweler is extremely well respected in the antique jewelry community and has done countless repairs and restorations.
https://instagram.com/estatejewelrymama?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=uosd0rb16mb2

I’d suggest reaching out to both to see what they can do and what they’ll charge.

Let us know how it works out!

Thanks so much I will contact them and see what they think!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@JPie that was going to be my recommendation too. I don't know his pricing.

If it is sentimental to you @Emerald_Isle13 I think it's worth inquiring on pricing.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I also think that Etsy shop owner EstateJewelryMama does this type of repair. She has an IG page by the same name. I have seen her post repairs and conversions too.

SmileyJ3ms

Rough_Rock
Your grandmother’s ring is a treasure!

Kim (EstateJewelryMama) does excellent work - I’ve purchased a couple of antique items from her & she’s done work for friends. She’s honest and skilled - would definitely recommend.

I’ve seen Cjd_Sako’s work on Instagram and it looks very good as well, but I have no experience working with him personally.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've been in touch with cjd_sako over the last few days about replacing the emerald melee in an art deco ring I just bought. He's very nice and definetly has the skill set. He's going to source the emeralds and custom cut them, as well as repair the metal. These are tiny 1.5mm stones. I'm impressed by his restore work I've seen, but also the manner in which he's discussing my little restoration project with me. All of our conversation has been through DM on Instagram. Here is a "before", can't wait to share an "after"!
20190301_203857.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results