shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a ring on a tight budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been surfing ring sites for a few weeks now, and even though I feel like I''ve seen everything I''m sure I have barely scratched the surface! Reading through a bunch of the recent threads I saw people making some wonderful suggestions so I thought I''d put my request out there as well.

What I''m looking for is something small and low-set. I am an avid hiker and sort of a tomboy so it is important that whatever I end up with sit fairly low and be smooth across the top. I also have small-ish hands really, smaller is better. I don''t really want a plain solitare, I do like the looks of three-stone rings, but nothing that is overly ornate or chunky.

Our budget is a very small $2000 for the whole ring.

So far I''ve found a three-stone ring at Costco, .5ctw, princess cut, set in platinum, for $1200. I like the ring but the stones are a bit small. The next size up they carry, 1 ctw, looks a bit too large.

I REALLY like this ring from Blue Nile, but by the time I add the diamonds it comes in way over the Costco price: Blue Nile Three Stone Trellis

Any suggestions? I''m sure I left out some info...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey! First of all, dont worry, you can find a lovely ring for that money!

Have you tried on rings to see which shapes/settings you like best and which looks best on your finger? If not, I'd recommend doing that first, then once you narrow it down to shape and setting, tell us and we can help you find something. Enjoy shopping!

ETA: I just re read your post and it's not clear - you mention only Princess cuts but the setting you posted seems like it's for rounds. Do you know which shape you prefer?

Also, you could do a bezel set center stone, with some channel set melee on the shank, that should be low and out of the way for your lifestyle. You could also opt to do an eternity band - channel set so nothing sticks out - with or without a plain wband...

zstarbrite

Rough_Rock
Erica what metal are you looking at? I just ask because since you are a rock climber you really need to consider this in your metal choices (which can affect price)and honestly you should try to never wear your ring climbing. They will break and in that sort of a situation you can almost be assured that you would lose it if it does break. Maybe consider wearing it around your neck when you climb.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend NOT wearing any jewellery while rock climbing. No matter how low set or small the diamond may be, it WILL be scratched, nicked or chipped. Diamonds are not THAT hard.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really have a preference on shape, but I really like round and princess. I guess it just depends on what looks best in the setting? I go back and forth between which I like better!

The metal could either be white gold or platnium. I don''t plan on rock climbing in the near future, though! Whenever we hike I tend to leave my jewelery behind but there are always those times when you forget. Same goes for riding horses - 90% of the time I remember to remove everything but I''m trying to take into account what might happen during the other 10%.

I have tried on a bunch of rings, and the ones that look best are either three-stones or ones with a center solitare and maybe baguettes on the side. I tried on a few bands but didn''t like them as much.

Ideally I''d like to end up wearing the ring with a plain wband.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider white gold as opposed to platinum? That way you can use the majority of your budget on your stone/stones. Some people choose to buy the best stone possible with a somewhat temporary setting (I guess thinking of the stone as the "heart" of the ring) and getting a fancier/more expensive setting down the line. Platinum could wipe out half your budget easily.....

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Erica,

What about this setting with a .50 ct center stone? The diamond looks as though it sits rather low, and the side diamonds are channel set, so they're protected.

White Gold Cross Prong Setting $720

(Though I agree with Chrono- tuck your engagement ring somewhere safe when rock climbing.)

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 4:38:52 PM
Author: EricaR
I don't really have a preference on shape, but I really like round and princess. I guess it just depends on what looks best in the setting? I go back and forth between which I like better!

If you have no preference, I'd suggest round. Round stones of the same carat weight have a greater diameter than princess stones, so they look bigger (a round 1/2 carat might be 5.2 mm across, while a full carat princess might only be 5.5 mm). Also, there are more tools to tell you if you're getting a good cut with a round (see the cut advisor, above, and there are also parameters for angles and such that relate to light performance).

I don't know how you feel about bezels, but they'd be very durable and unlikely to snag or bang into things. Here are some ideas for very low bezel sets (none of them have sidestones, though, it might be pretty tight to stretch the budget to get center stone, setting, and side stones):

full bezel
half bezel
bezel plus trellis detail

similar to blue nile trellis
great price for a vatche, the designer version of that trellis-type setting

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
All of these have a modified bezel setting that would be very durable, with some fun details, including small diamonds on the band of one.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure if you have ruled out fancy shaped diamonds, but it is my understanding that they are less expensive than rounds or princesses because they are less popular (but not less beautiful).

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
What about a ring like this? Picture this with a diamond channel set into the groves on each side of the ring (so it is a 3 stone). It might be kind of hard to picture, but I tried one of Etienne Perret''s on just like it and thought it was really elegant and pretty. His prices were surprisingly reasonable too.

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
Oops. I forgot to attach the picture! Here it is:

DanielleChampagne.preview.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my suggestion:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Legato--Sleek-Line_1118.htm White Gold with Platinum head $745
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Flush-Fit--Diamond-Ring_1063.htm# or this one with a bit more bling since you aren't overly fond of solitaires $795

With one of these:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-540891.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-540890.htm

Each of the above choices are .577 H/SI1, $1495. They are both new stones to WF's inventory, so you would need to ask them for pictures and the certs. I'd also confirm that they are eyeclean, and ask them to confirm which has the least clouds viewable from the angle.

With PS discounts and wire discounts, you'll about hit your budget.

This ring is a gorgeous one that many folks here on PS have.

Good luck in your search!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I really like that "flush fit" ring from WhiteFlash, so much so that I just called them to get more information. My boyfirend doesn''t like it so much, but says it is ultimately my choice.

Thanks for the photos Maisie. They really help. I am going to do some searching on here and see if I can find photos of rings with the exact setting I like.

MajorGroove

Rough_Rock
Erica,

Welcome! I, too, had a hard time finding a suitable ring. I''m in medical school, and I really needed something that wouldn''t get in the way during my day-to-day routine (which of course involves examining patients, putting on gloves, frequent hand washing, etc). I chose a really low-profile modified channel setting for my ring. It has no sharp edges and protects the diamond very well, so it''s perfect for me. (apologies for the lack of pictures. . .it hasn''t been given to me yet!!) I considered platinum, but decided against it based on price and durability. Platinum is a softer metal than gold, and will tend to get scratched up more. Given that you''re very active, white gold would probably be a better choice for you.

I''ll let the experts here guide you to the perfect stone.
2.gif
Good luck to you!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''ve spent the last two days staring at the page for that WhiteFlash ring. I called them, spoke with Sheerah, got some info, emailed Sheerah again, stared at more photos and finally made the decision that it is the perfect ring for me. I passed all of the information to my boyfriend and now I''ve got to try and be patient for the next few months...

17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results