shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding A Mele or Mid-Century Jewelry Box

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello vintage loving friends. We were recently visiting some antique shops and while browsing I came upon a mid-century musical jewelry box. For kicks I opened up the box to see if it worked and the smell immediately took me back to my childhood. I don't know if it was the leather or the velvet lining but I have to find one because for some reason it triggers very happy memories of my childhood (which was not great overall).

Ideally the box would have a ballerina that spins, and be in relatively good shape. The one I remember was a leather type material outside and velvet inside. I have found one on Ebay for around $45 in a really pretty blue but there is a little gash in the top and I don't know if it would bother me so looking to see if there are any better ones someone maybe has stumbled across? Also no idea what a reasonable price is for these? I did find a pretty pink one that came with jewelry inside (nothing major) but there was no ballerina and the kid in me really wants one!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one of those too! Pretty sure my father gave it to me!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Then I will need two! But only one must have a ballerina :twisted2:

I think you have me beat in the sparklies dept @stracci2000 aka collector of old cuts from the pawn shop. Technically I only have three diamond rings, the Traub, miner and OEC and then my three row band I wear all the time. The rest is inventory and technically the OEC and Traub are supposed to be as well :shhh:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I will look on Etsy for you.

Would you consider custom making one from a company like this?
http://etsy.me/2yLP52h

They offer a choice of wooden box, ballerina and music.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @peacechick thank you for posting those, they are beautiful but yes out of my budget. Believe it or not a lot of times the ones like the one I posted will go for closer to $20 so that one is nice but the price gives me pause.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Took a trip to the estate shop down the street and found these, no ballerina but they were $3.50 each! It's funny because the green one is nicer on the outside but the velvet has spots on the inside but love the color combo. The other one looks nearly pristine inside but a little haggard on the outside. Planning on going to some bigger ones over the weekend and hoping to find the holy grail jewelry box lol!

There was a rattle in the second box so I carefully lifted the velvet up and found that little rhinestone and the tag for Richelieu poppits. Kind of cool, a diamond would have been even better!

IMG_9576.JPG IMG_9577.JPG IMG_9578.JPG IMG_9579.JPG IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9581.JPG

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Took a trip to the estate shop down the street and found these, no ballerina but they were $3.50 each! It's funny because the green one is nicer on the outside but the velvet has spots on the inside but love the color combo. The other one looks nearly pristine inside but a little haggard on the outside. Planning on going to some bigger ones over the weekend and hoping to find the holy grail jewelry box lol!

There was a rattle in the second box so I carefully lifted the velvet up and found that little rhinestone and the tag for Richelieu poppits. Kind of cool, a diamond would have been even better!

What pretty boxes, I really like the second one! Too bad it’s not a diamond but still a neat find.

Yeah I think visiting the estate antique shops would probably be the way to go for finding the perfect box. Good luck!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There was a rattle in the second box so I carefully lifted the velvet up and found that little rhinestone and the tag for Richelieu poppits. Kind of cool, a diamond would have been even better

Haha, Steph, I have a very similar jewelry box!
Mine is green with pink interior. And it still has a key.
About finding diamonds, I once bought a jewelry armoire from Goodwill, and while looking through the drawers, DH spotted a little diamond! I used it in the snake ring I made a while ago.
Also, I once bought a jewelry box from a thrift shop, and like you, I heard a rattle inside. Two small rings, one silver and one gold, had fallen through the ring slots and had gotten lost inside.
IMG_20180914_182619626.jpg IMG_20180914_182712305.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love that one and it looks to be in excellent shape inside AND has the key, how amazing after all these years!

Something about that color combo is just :kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I learned something new today, this might be helpful for those who buy to resell or collectors. Apparently these jewelry boxes with a ballerina are very highly collectible, we went to a bunch of antique and vintage stores today and I did not find even one.

In talking to a couple of shop owners they told me that people have come in and asked for them and another said if you ever see one, buy it because they are impossible to find.

Well it so happens there is one for sale locally that DH found and the seller sent a video with the music playing and ballerina twirling and the best part? They are asking $15! So that's better than the $44 for the one on Ebay which sold today!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
93D899FD-F319-4247-B54A-7B8570449A64.jpeg BA3D753A-6684-4552-80B1-7686E7982243.jpeg I still have my jewellery box, over 50 years old now, sans ballerina.
I actually collect unusual music boxes so wanted to show you this treasure.
When it opens up it has 6 crystal shot glasses.
I love it.
My dream would be to own one of those singing bird music boxes, they are however thousands and thousands of dollars theses days.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay @Bron357, you win the prize, who can compete with a jewelry box with shot glasses?!:twisted2:

That is a very pretty one with those wildflowers and so unique! Love it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay @Bron357, you win the prize, who can compete with a jewelry box with shot glasses?!:twisted2:

That is a very pretty one with those wildflowers and so unique! Love it.
Thank you :love:
When you press the button on top, the music starts and slowly the doors open to reveal the shot glasses. Press the button again, and the music re starts and the doors then close.
Chinese made I believe with a Swiss music movement - circa 1950 / 1960 when such kitsch things were all the rage,

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have one of these! My mum thinks it was for my 5th Birthday & I'm 44 now. Apart from a bit of sun damage to the pictures IMG_20180918_145626.jpg IMG_20180918_145638.jpg & the odd nick to the felt, it's still ok & my daughter's use it for beads. It still winds, plays music & she still spins :love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T, love it! Also how wonderful that your daughter gets to enjoy it now and it still works after all these years.

ETA- not to imply you are old! Geesh I read that and said I hope she doesn't take that the wrong way!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn :lol: Honestly, you've very sweet, but that music box is OLD!! My girls love it! What is also kept in there with the 'treasures' is Lizzie The Lizard. She's the top half of a long dead creature my youngest found in Cyprus a couple of summers ago. She saved her from complete obliteration & Lizzie's empty, leathery upper half lives in that box. If only I knew, 39 years ago, what would be kept inside my precious jewel box!!!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meet Lizzie The Lizard.... IMG_20180918_225122.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: When you said Lizzie the lizard I wasn't expecting a real one! Gave me a good laugh there.

That's okay, in my freezer are vials of frozen insects that my son put in there. I don't know what he plans on doing with them and I'm not going to go asking :snooty:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, Steph, I have a very similar jewelry box!
Mine is green with pink interior. And it still has a key.
About finding diamonds, I once bought a jewelry armoire from Goodwill, and while looking through the drawers, DH spotted a little diamond! I used it in the snake ring I made a while ago.
Also, I once bought a jewelry box from a thrift shop, and like you, I heard a rattle inside. Two small rings, one silver and one gold, had fallen through the ring slots and had gotten lost inside.
IMG_20180914_182619626.jpg IMG_20180914_182712305.jpg

Okay @stracci2000 , I know there is no way that jewelry box could hold all your rings!!!

Stephanie, My parents are always looking at Antique Shops. I’ll ask my mom to keep an eye for a jewelry box with a ballerina for you. If she finds one, I’ll send it to you.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay @stracci2000 , I know there is no way that jewelry box could hold all your rings!!!

Stephanie, My parents are always looking at Antique Shops. I’ll ask my mom to keep an eye for a jewelry box with a ballerina for you. If she finds one, I’ll send it to you.
Yeah, that silly thing only has 4 ring slots. Who only has 4 rings?!:lol-2::P2

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that silly thing only has 4 ring slots. Who only has 4 rings?!:lol-2::P2

LOL I’ve seen your ring box. ANY woman would be envious of that box of rings.

@StephanieLynn , Please be careful when looking at @stracci2000 ring collection box. If she posts her picture again, we all may needing to be attending a 12 program for ring addictions. Oh what the hell, we would be the ones with the huge smiles on our faces at the meeting knowing what was waiting for us in the jewelry box at home.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Calliecake, I don't know what it is about CT but it's impossible to find these boxes here, although I did get one it was from a private owner. Stracci has some skills, she could just whip up a new ring whenever she likes so that contributes to her collection as well as her pawn shop finds.

@stracci2000 it is too funny that your jewelry box only has four slots, that's not even enough to outfit a whole hand. Not acceptable in any era :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15C27950-4A23-4C37-8AA3-D4C860E11CE4.jpeg 49C29728-F388-4638-918A-455EB0181C57.jpeg D48209B9-24B9-493F-8F86-C2CE013EA0B7.jpeg Bron to the task!
Found these 3 with the required ballerina AND 2 are very fancy with fake flowers as well.
Plenty more with music boxes but these are the best with ballerinas!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results