shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating Cushion Brilliant- fluorescene Concern

jpwest333

Rough_Rock
HI Everyone,

I'm having a 3 stone engagement ring made for my fiancé with a cushion brilliant centre stone and 2 pear side stones.

Ive been working with a local jewellery wholesaler to come up with the best centre stone for my money. After several different stones we have come up with the below:

Cushion Brilliant 0.83ct E VS1 GIA 1203718478 $5280 AUD

Certificate Viewed at:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=1203718478

Video Viewed at:
http://103.19.133.108/hd.aspx?Stoneid=8813460318&log=dolchess

My main concern is around medium fluorescence, I've read that some can appear milky or oily, I'm not concerned about what it looks like under fluorescent light, just more naked eye.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated for someone who doesn't know too much!

Thanks,

Jared

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
jpwest333|1453348753|3978912 said:
My main concern is around medium fluorescence, I've read that some can appear milky or oily, I'm not concerned about what it looks like under fluorescent light, just more naked eye.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated for someone who doesn't know too much!

Thanks,

Jared

Hey M8 - I've just copied and pasted this from one of my earlier posts, but hopefully it'll help answer your questions.

When exposed to invisible ultraviolet (UV) radiation (like you would find in a night club), sub microscopic structures will cause some diamonds to emit visible light which is called fluorescence. In most cases, fluorescence is caused by the presence of nitrogen as a trace element in the diamonds crystal lattice structure...blah...blah...blahhhh... :roll:
Basically, fluorescence is not necessarily a positive or a negative. Fluorescence does not affect the grade of the diamond, and is not included among any of the 4Cs. Instead, it is mentioned as an identifying characteristic, rather than a grading component, on diamond certificates provided by grading laboratories.
While there are some rules-of-thumb when assessing fluorescence, it simply depends on the individual stone. A diamond where the fluorescence makes the diamond look 'milky', 'oily' or 'cloudy' is definitely a negative (usually only found in strong/very strong...but even then only a very small percentage). Chances are that the fluoro in any stone you're looking at with medium is fine – you might just want to get the vendor to confirm this.
Also, because of normal discounting, fluorescence might also be an excellent way to get a beautiful diamond that might normally be a little bit out of your price range without it. So if you find a stone with strong or very strong fluoro and there is no effect outside of direct UV, you might want to consider it as your cost price can come way down.
Many people happily own diamonds for their entire lifetimes without ever being aware of the presence or absence of fluorescence in their stones.
Hope this helps

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results