shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Does this setting overwhelm my center stone??

CosmoQueen

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! My husband and I recently purchased this .65 RB solitaire and I choose to have JA set it in their 6 prong knife edge setting. Now that I have it while I love how round it looks does it overwhelm my center stone? I love my ring most days but sometimes I wish I had gone with the 4 prong and would like some outside options. Has anyone else been in this dilemma? If so what did you choose to do and we’re you happy with that decision?
Thanks for the help!
3ACAE7A7-D63D-4488-8457-F7294F4C2540.jpeg
8C419C52-4BEB-40B9-91EE-70256E6162FB.jpeg
08541F96-8BCE-4F31-B79F-53C055900BD2.jpeg
CD024232-3111-42E1-851D-141610407710.jpeg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 6 prongs makes a stone look round, 4 prongs give a squarer look. I personally like 4 prongs bt that is me.. it's all about how you feel about your setting, it's a rockin' stone!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think the setting overwhelms it at all. I wonder if perhaps your eyes are distracted by the diamond band. Have you tried pairing the new e-ring with a thin, plain band to see if that changes your perspective at all? Maybe the diamond band competes a little bit but not overwhelmingly, IMO.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm with @Tekate that a 4 prong setting makes a stone look more square. On that note, 6 prongs is a little more secure.

Have you tried a 4 prong setting? I would suggest going to a mall store and comparing the two. then choose based on what your heart tells you that you like.

CosmoQueen

Rough_Rock
I think 6 prongs makes a stone look round, 4 prongs give a squarer look. I personally like 4 prongs bt that is me.. it's all about how you feel about your setting, it's a rockin' stone!

I think it looks beautiful - wouldn't change a thing!

Thank you! Maybe I’m thinking too much of it. I do love the stone so I guess I should just be happy I choose a great stone! Lol

CosmoQueen

Rough_Rock
I don’t think the setting overwhelms it at all. I wonder if perhaps your eyes are distracted by the diamond band. Have you tried pairing the new e-ring with a thin, plain band to see if that changes your perspective at all? Maybe the diamond band competes a little bit but not overwhelmingly, IMO.
I have thought to getting a petite pavé band or a plain band. I’m going to go by a B&M store to try some things out and see if that helps. Thank you!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I like the 6 prong look.

You could say the diamond band competes with the e-ring stone or not I think, just depending on personal preference.

I could also see moving the diamond band over to the right hand and getting a plain thin band or ring guard to dress up the e-ring.

I don't know about this site but just noticed they have lots of ring guards:

https://www.annharringtonjewelry.com/rings/wedding-rings/ring-enhancers.html?p=13

Last edited:

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love it just as it is! It's a STUNNING set!

In the under 1 ct thread you indicated it is a K? Wow! I think it is a white and bright and gorgeous stone! Congratulations!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Now I found a ring guard for myself on the site I just listed, dammit. :p

CosmoQueen

Rough_Rock
I love it just as it is! It's a STUNNING set!

In the under 1 ct thread you indicated it is a K? Wow! I think it is a white and bright and gorgeous stone! Congratulations!
Thank you and yes it’s a K! I read and seen that medium and strong blue florescence helps balance out the warmth with lower color grades. It seems to be true with medium blue for my stone!

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Your ring is magnificent, the 6 prongs are not overwhelming the diamond at all, they are delicate enough.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very elegant, I'm another that prefers 6 prongs to 4!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 6 prongs, I think it looks more balanced =)2

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
I love the 6 prong setting you have and don't think it overwhelms the centre stone at all. I think it looks well proportioned and beautiful!! I prefer 6 prongs as I think 4 prongs may make it look more square.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 6 prongs makes for perfectly round 'round brilliant'. Its all about your personal preference. I always prefer 4 prongs so I can see more of girdle. The more of the stone I see the better for me.
Looks perfectly balanced to me. Love your band too. The extra bling doesnt hurt a thing.;-)

Lovely set!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 6 prongs and how they emphasize the round shape. Very pretty. :)

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the setting and don't think it overwhelms the stone. I'm also in the 6 prong camp. It emphasizes the round shape and is more secure than 4 prongs. I dislike the squared off look of 4 prongs. Interestingly, I do like a squared off look in an antique fishtail setting, because it's more dramatic and intentional, whereas simple 4 prong settings just look like the diamond is not round. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how my thinking goes.

I wouldn't change it and I like the way it looks with the band, too.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 6 prong setting looks great and I love the band with your ering! beautiful set! :love:

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks beautiful! I also prefer 6 prongs on rounds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great! The 6 prongs look petite and do not overwhelm your stone IMO. I think its a beautiful set!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 6 prong look and think your set is gorgeous!

CosmoQueen

Rough_Rock
So I went and tried on some 4 prong solitaires and it made me realize how much I do love the 6 prong! The 4 prongs kind of made the diamond look more like a cushion. Thanks for the input everyone!! :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yours.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen some .5 center stones that I think look overwhelmed by six prongs ... but I think your ring is lovely just the way it is. I think it’s the combination of stone size and prong size/style. This .65 and this style work for my eyes!

:wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your set is spectacular!

lkredhat

Rough_Rock
You've got great taste. The setting doesn't overwhelm the stone at all.

Try pairing the ring with different bands and enhancers for a different look. Though you may wind up right where you are now ... which is pretty great!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CosmoQueen
I had my .67ct round in 6 prongs for 20+years. Then I reset and had it put into an octet, or double prongs in 4 corners. I'm sorry I don't have a "before" picture, but it looked just like yours does. As some one said above, the four corner look does give the stone a bit more of a square or cushion look, at least at a quick glance, which I like.
20190301_143551.jpg 2010-5-4%20014.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372883059138.jpg 2012-06-05_13.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results