shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! Did I overpay for this??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone. I''m pretty new to this place, and I found it only after I had purchased my new ring. (which you can see here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-my-new-scott-kay-19k-yellow-gold-er.86581/)

I love the look of the ring, but having looked on this site a bit, I think I may have overpaid for my diamond. If that''s the case, how should I go about fixing it? I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, so I should be able to return it, but how will the jeweler react? Its a local jeweler, highly recommended by some friends, and great service, but I think I could have gotten a much nicer stone for my money. Here''s the specs on the diamond:

round brilliant
0.81 ct
5.84-5.91 x 3.74 mm
G
SI1
GIA - very good cut
Symmetry: vg
Polish: vg
fluorescence: none
Table: 59%
Depth: 63.7%
crown angle: 36 deg
pavilion angle: 41.6 deg
girdle: medium to slightly thick
cutlet: none

Price: $4200

What should I be able to get for that price? If I''m going to change this ring, I need to do it soon, so please help!! Thanks in advance!

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Yes, you overpaid a bit. If you''re experiencing buyer''s remorse you should definitely return it. We can help find you a beautiful stone in that budget.

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Wait a minute. Was $4200 the price of that entire ring or just the center stone?

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
That was the price of just the center stone. The total cost of the ring was $7600, including tax, and the setting alone was priced at $2895, which for the Scott Kay 19k YG crown setting seems to be pretty good.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aside from what you paid, I have to say, you could do better on the cut dockman. This is a classic example of a steep/deep. (you can search on here for that to get indepth info), the short of it means a leaky diamonmd. It will not look as good across the board as a diamond closer to ideal specs would.

I would simply tell the jeweler you have realized cut is very important to a diamonds performance, and you don''t feel this is the diamond for you.

insite

Rough_Rock
for comparison, here's what i bought on 5/23:

round brilliant
1.01 ct
6.43-6.47 x 3.94 mm
G
SI1
Cert: GIA
Cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
fluorescence: none
Table: 60%
Depth: 61.1%
crown angle: 35 deg
pavilion angle: 40.8 deg
girdle: thin to slightly thick
culet: none

Price: $4,500

bought it from solomon brothers here in atlanta. FYI, this site: http://www.polishedprices.com/Content/Prices.aspx was very helpful to me; i have found that it's possible to buy at or below the wholesale prices listed on this site. don't forget, prices listed are in dollars per carat, so multiply the price by the carat weight. FYI, polished prices currently lists your stone at around $2,100.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2008 9:35:21 AM
Author: Ellen
Aside from what you paid, I have to say, you could do better on the cut dockman. This is a classic example of a steep/deep. (you can search on here for that to get indepth info), the short of it means a leaky diamonmd. It will not look as good across the board as a diamond closer to ideal specs would.

I would simply tell the jeweler you have realized cut is very important to a diamonds performance, and you don''t feel this is the diamond for you.
HI:

Ditto. Besides which, "your" stone will face up smaller than a well cut .81.

cheers--Sharon

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, well this pretty much settles it. I''ll take it back and have them put in another stone that I find, so the quest now is to fine the stone! I''ll report back when I find something better, but in the meantime, I''d be open to any suggestions. All I''m looking for a beautiful diamond for a beautiful girl. She wants it to sparkle, and I don''t want to settle on something, but have about $4200 to spend. I can go a little over if its really worth it. If you guys know of anything, it''d be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask him to bring in some AGS0 stones, if he doesn''t have some in the size/specs you want. You may pay a bit more, but it''s worth it. A much safer bet.
28.gif
(GIA''s EX range is just too wide, some are great, some are not)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Here is an example of what your budget would allow:

J colored, SI1 clarity; Cut by Infinity stone. AGS Ideal proportions. .95 (points), vendor NiceIce.

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies2008/ags0009275009/index.htm

A couple of E colored stones, A Cut Above/Ideal, and AGS certs. Both .81 points, but clarity VS1 and S12 respectively.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=471534,395210

Another Cut by Infinity Stone, I colored, VS1 clarity. .92 points, vendor Winfields. No price listed, but would be worth a call.

=202&src=loupe:2o8h065d]http://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/index.php?pid=63&lang=eng&sid[]=202&src=loupe

cheers--Sharon

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies thusfar. They have been extremely helpful! As for my diamond, I''d prefer to stick to at least G, SI1 (eyel clean), AGS0 and no less than 0.8ct. If anybody sees anything out there for around $4200-$4500, let me know!

insite

Rough_Rock
solomon brothers has an AGS-0 0.95 ct for $4,255. the stock number is 37D3GXG5. dimensions are 6.35x6.31x3.92. stone is a G SI1 w/ 55% table and 62% depth.

they also have a 91pt stone of the same specs for $4,175. the stock number is 3766Y86Z.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Here is another that I think is very pretty :)
.80ct E VS2

It is $50 over budget though
6.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one would be a beautiful option as well:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4415/

Or this one:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4416/ (this one would be my choice personally out of the stones posted)

And if you pay by bankwire you get the lower price listed. Both would be great deals and MUCH nicer stones. And GOG is a wonderful vendor. With a lifetime upgrade policy.
2.gif
BN doesn't have any kind of upgrade policy and their customer service just isn't as good as GOG, so that is why I prefer Good Old Gold. Also, the BN stone might not be H&A and these are. Totally optimal optical performance on these babies!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info! Those diamonds at GOG look amazing. I just might get one of those. I''ll keep looking around, but I''m waiting to hear back from the jeweler about what they can do for me.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Hi sorry to say this but I think you did overpay a little.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 12:31:38 PM
Author: dockman3
Thanks for the info! Those diamonds at GOG look amazing. I just might get one of those. I''ll keep looking around, but I''m waiting to hear back from the jeweler about what they can do for me.

No problem! And GOG IS amazing. They are just a great vendor all around. Do a search if you want reassurance on purchasing from them, Jon is a stand up guy. And they are a family owned B&M store, so you can feel good about supporting them too.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, You overpaid a little. I bought a .82 (E,VS2) for $3,794 about two months ago. This is two color grades, one clarity grade up from yours.
I thought I overpaid myself a bit because I've seen cheaper ones in the E,F VS2 range but I got over it.

Regarding the measurements, this stone could be facing up a tad smaller. Mine is around the same carat weight and these are the measurements: 5.98- 6.02 x 3.71mm and I don't think mine is that great either in terms of spread.

I was told a diamond in the low .80 (.81- .82) range should measure around 6mm. Take this with a grain of salt because this measurements are oh so relative.

You seem to be hesitant about it, trust your gut ... Return it!

ETA: I see you are being pointed in the right direction. I should point out I purchase the stone before the price increase.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Okay. First of all, thanks to everybody who has offered advice. Its been really helpful in my search for a better diamond. Here is the one that I think I''m going to go with:

It looks great to me. Its slightly bigger than the one I currently have, but it should behave much better. I think its really going to outshine the one I''ve got. What do you think?? Thanks again!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 3:34:47 PM
Okay. First of all, thanks to everybody who has offered advice. Its been really helpful in my search for a better diamond. Here is the one that I think I''m going to go with:

It looks great to me. Its slightly bigger than the one I currently have, but it should behave much better. I think its really going to outshine the one I''ve got. What do you think?? Thanks again!

FANTASTIC choice. She''s going to love it. Glad we were able to help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 3:34:47 PM

I think you''re right.
2.gif
Looks fine.

Is the jeweler letting you return the diamond?

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t heard from the jeweler yet. If I don''t hear back today, I''ll give them another call tomorrow and I''ll let you know.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, if you are set on buying online now, I''d just take it in, instead of waiting foir him to call. Just say you don''t like the cut and want to return it.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Dockman, let me apologize to you. I feel my first post was not as helpful as I would have like it to be. My bottom line was yes, I think you can do better and sure you have! I love the GOG stone (.83) Go for it.

As Ellen said, can you simply pass by the store to return? I think in these matters time is of the essence.
Are you planning on returning both ring and diamond or you are looking to keep the setting?

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I really want to keep the setting. I just fell in love with that the moment I saw it. Unfortunately, they are the only jeweler in the area who carries Scott Kay. But I just spoke with them and they said they can come close to BN prices and I can exchange my diamond for a better one if I want to. So I''m going give them another shot and see what kinds of diamonds they show me. If they can find something better, then that''s great, otherwise I''ve placed a hold on the above diamond at GOG. The jeweler has been great helping me in every aspect of this search, and I hate to take business away from a local jeweler. I''ll keep you posted as to what I find out.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fair enough. You might run potentials through the HCA to help you.
28.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
I think I will. Thanks for all of the advice everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results