shape
carat
color
clarity

Help deciding between a transitional cut diamond vs ideal modern round brilliant AGS 000

iheartsparkly

Rough_Rock
The title says it all. I *love* the way that transitional antique diamonds look in photographs and in videos- I love the larger facets and more pastel look they have to them. That said, I also love the idea of having a diamond with the most brilliance and fire...that will sparkle from across the room. I am trying to figure out if transitional diamonds can compete with AGS 000 stones. Any thoughts? Wisdom? Part of the problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't compare these stones side by side. I am looking for stones in the 1.5 - 2.0 ct range. Even if I travel to NYC, I am not sure there is a store that has the inventory on hand to make the comparison. Do I buy an idealscope, purchase 2 stones and have them sent to me to compare? Any other recommendations? Thank you!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have the credit/proper money available, you could do as you say and purchase one of each that you fancy, which would mean you could assess them in the lighting you have around your home :)

I am sure there are a few PS-recommended vendors in NY - it would be worth a visit and you could book appointments in advance so you have stones brought in that suit :)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I understand the dilemma. Superideal/AGS 000 diamonds will not have the broader facets of a Transitional Cut. You -can- find SuperIdeals that have lots of colored Fire, but the faceting is splintery. The two cuts don’t look the same.

There are other factors to consider. First, good antique Transitional cuts are rare in the size you mention. If you find a good one, it will be a lower color, usually K or lower. Do you like lower color stones? If yes, then you will have some options. It will be helpful for you to identify visual aspects of the Transitional cut that you like. (There are various flavors of Transitional cuts). I own an antique Transitional cut and my one frustration is that the crown angle is flatter and the table is larger than I’d like (it’s more like a 60/60 stone). So it’s whiter and can exhibit LESS fire than an OEC in some types of light. Under a tree or in a restaurant with numerous ceiling lights it is -very- firey.

Finding a Superideal or AGS 000 will be a lot easier. If you go that route, look for a 55 percent crown, 34.5 or higher crown angle, and 77 percent or less LGFs. This will give you a higher chance of having a fiery, fatter arrowed stone. Or go for a Crafted By Infinity of any type, they have lots of fire. To be honest, I’d try to find a CBI with the firey parameters I mention previously if you value the look of an old cut, this somewhat mimics certain beautiful qualities of old cuts, MY OPINION ONLY. I often remark to myself that my CBI “feels” like my Transitional in the pattern of its facets. But facets are skinnier on the CBI, obviously. Fire is good. Other people can talk to you about other branded SuperIdeals as I have no experience.

Last, you might want to look at August Vintage for an AV Round because that is an antique cut style optimized for light return.

It might help for you to post some photos of what you really like. Then people can help you narrow down your search options. Good luck!

Last edited:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
AVRs might be the combination of vintage feel and modern performance you’re looking for =)2

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your position, I would contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and go visit him. He's probably got the biggest inventory of old cuts around and he should be able to call in some MRB for you to compare them to as well. I'd also suggest maybe Alex Park could help as his IG seems to have a mix of old cuts and MRB as well. You really want to see the stones in person if you can.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In your position, I would contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and go visit him. He's probably got the biggest inventory of old cuts around and he should be able to call in some MRB for you to compare them to as well. I'd also suggest maybe Alex Park could help as his IG seems to have a mix of old cuts and MRB as well. You really want to see the stones in person if you can.

Great idea. Both Adam and Alex have excellent reviews for customer service, inventory/access to stones, patience and helpfulness.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi @iheartsparkly

It’s pretty hard to say what diamond is “better”. I just thing it depends on which type of diamond speak to you more. OECs and transitionals have a little bit more of a subdued character because of their broader facets. Have you compared them side by side?
I’m not convinced that you absolutely have to give up brilliance or performance by going with an OEC.
One thing that I’ve found is that the faceting on OECs starts to become more apparent at about the 3/4ct+ sizes but with your range of 1.5-2ct you should be able to appreciate the beautiful faceting of these stones. They’re like a crystal ball of light at that point.
Enjoy the hunt.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I very much agree with Victor.
Most discussions of "Super Ideal" diamonds are woefully one-sided as they compare Super Ideal Rounds versus other round brilliant diamonds. For example: in the case of fire, it's quite possible an older cut style will produce more fire than an equivalent sized Super Ideal Round diamond.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I've been wondering the same myself, and have come to the conclusion that I just need one of each- OEC and Super Ideal. Problem solved.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
IMO, The toughest test for the diamond's performance is in a low lighting environment. Here's my CBI in the dark. :praise:

Dark -1.jpg

Wow, everything does look better in the dark! :P2

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A point about size comparisons...
Transitional cut stones are, by nature, not all that consistent.
Some may be very deep- but I've seen many that were quite shallow. In some cases even creating a "fish-eye"
Now, the merits of how such a stone looks is debatable.
We can also debate whether a 6.5mm Ideal looks larger than a 6.5mm transitional.
What's not really debatable is that a 1.00ct 6.8mm transitional will be larger to the eye than a 1.00ct 6.5mm Ideal ( or super ideal)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just have to see them IRL and see what makes your heart flutter.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You just have to see them IRL and see what makes your heart flutter.

yes to this 1000% to infinity. You can debate all the characteristics but until you view them IRL under a variety of conditions you just won't know which one will be the one you fall in love with and adore.

yougottaseeit.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results