shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Deciding Between 2 stones!

themerv

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

First off thank you all so much for your help in my search for a diamond/engagement ring for my girlfriend!
This forum has been so ridiculously helpful getting my feet wet on all the necessary characteristics to look out for while searching for a stone.

I have narrowed my search to two diamonds, but was hoping for a little help to make the final decision!

The first is smaller and ~$1000 less, but seems a slightly better cut based on some of the advanced imaging

Carat: 1.14
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
GIA Ex x3
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.7%
Crown: 35
Pavilion: 40.8
Dimensions: 6.71 X 6.72 X 4.14

1.jpg

1is.jpg

#1 ASET.jpg

The second is significantly larger, though ~$1000 more (still ends up being in my price range), not sure how the IS and ASET images compare and does have an occlusion at the 1 o-clock position that I'm a little nervous would be visible.

Carat: 1.32
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 61.7%
Crown: 34.6
Pavillion: 40.1
Dimensions: 7.1 X 7.14 X 4.32

#2.jpg

#2 IS.jpg

#2 ASET.jpg

What do you guys think... do the cuts seem comparable and do you think that occlusion in stone #2 might be visible?
Worth the extra $1000 for the decent size upgrade?

Thank you all again for the help!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will pretty much always recommend WF (or Hpd) over other vendors due to the $1 upgrade policy that other vendors dont have. In this case, I would go with WF both because the stone looks better AND due to the upgrade policy. I'm not loving the shallow pavilion on the GOG one

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I’d be inclined to go with Whiteflash due to their large inventory and great upgrade policy. You can always upgrade for size on a future anniversary. The GOG stone has that shallow pavillion so the stone is spreadier but those two inclusions (the other at 9:20) would bother me.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Btw, GOG has a $1 upgrade policy as well.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Of the two I would choose option 1. It falls into the parameters that are generally recommended. The 40.1 pavilion is shallow and you could run into problems there. What is your budget? We might be able to help you find the larger size with ideal proportions within your budget.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
40.1 PA is a typo. It must be 41.0.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Of the two I would choose option 1. It falls into the parameters that are generally recommended. The 40.1 pavilion is shallow and you could run into problems there. What is your budget? We might be able to help you find the larger size with ideal proportions within your budget.

It actually looks like the first is now reserved on WF anyways... so may have to keep looking! I’m generally trying to keep the stone <$6500 and total <$7500 for the stone/setting combo (the second option just pushes that budget with the setting we like but willing to stretch some)

Overall I’m looking for a stone 1.15-1.4Ca range, I+, SI1+, and really focusing on an ideal cut with great proportions/HCA etc.

Any other help would be awesome!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a couple I found close to what you want with great proportions and ex HCA scores and just under budget.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Here’s a couple I found close to what you want with great proportions and ex HCA scores and just under budget.

yeah, definitely love the Whiteflash, that’s the first stone I had listed... it’s unfortunately still reserved right now, but if it comes off tomorrow may scoop it up!

I also found this one:

6C4093BD-593A-4DB6-A756-55619D9C9483.png

Ca: 1.20
Clarity: VS2
Triple Ex
Dimensions: 6.82x6.85x4.2
Depth 61.5%
Crown: 34.5%
Pavillion: 40.6%

Waiting on further imaging, but they have to bring into their office before they can get any...stone is almost too good a price, which makes me a little nervous, but may have them bring it in to get IS/ASET and get a better idea.

Any thoughts on this one?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, definitely love the Whiteflash, that’s the first stone I had listed... it’s unfortunately still reserved right now, but if it comes off tomorrow may scoop it up!

I also found this one:

6C4093BD-593A-4DB6-A756-55619D9C9483.png

Ca: 1.20
Clarity: VS2
Triple Ex
Dimensions: 6.82x6.85x4.2
Depth 61.5%
Crown: 34.5%
Pavillion: 40.6%

Waiting on further imaging, but they have to bring into their office before they can get any...stone is almost too good a price, which makes me a little nervous, but may have them bring it in to get IS/ASET and get a better idea.

Any thoughts on this one?

That looks very promising and it’s a VS2. I can see a lot of color when it’s tilted. That’s not something I usually notice. Is the wearer sensitive to that? Hopefully others will weigh in.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i would go for the first one from Whiteflash for the fat arrows!

cj2be

Shiny_Rock
The first one from white flash hands down. The second diamond is not a nice diamond in my opinion. I wouldn’t go above a 34 crown with a 41 pavilion.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the help!
I ended up having them bring in the third stone (1.2, I, VS2) to their warehouse, where they're going to get better pictures and advanced imaging to send. Can then decide if I want it, without any fee if I turn it down based on that. Hopefully its IS and ASETs are gorgeous and I can save some $, if not I'll probably end up going with the WF stone (assume its still available...)

Thank you all for your help again!

themerv

Rough_Rock
Hey again!

I just got the rest of the images for the stone they shipped in for me. Overall I’m pretty excited, and think it’s going to be the one I go with but wanted some other opinions!

6D0BB528-FD33-41D7-A719-A27A4DDFEAEF.jpeg

054803EA-0399-432E-9E9B-7E3E0BE23A4D.jpeg

The idealscope looks pretty great to me, see maybe a bit of leakage under the table but overall don’t see a lot of assymetry. The Aset definitely shows some areas of leakage around the outside, but not sure how much of a concern that should be.
What do you think? Will it have noticeably less brilliance than say the WhiteFlash stone?? Still worth buying and saving some $ or going instead for one more expensive from WF?

Thanks again

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Are these the advanced images from the real diamond images in post #13? I’m curious to hear what others will say. There’s something about the under the table area that concerns me. I see it in the regular photo and the ASET but I may just be being fussy. A little painting on the edges causing the green areas. Take my advice with a pinch of salt lol. I enjoy trying to read these photos. I’m not necessarily good at it.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Are these the advanced images from the real diamond images in post #13? I’m curious to hear what others will say. There’s something about the under the table area that concerns me. I see it in the regular photo and the ASET but I may just be being fussy. A little painting on the edges causing the green areas. Take my advice with a pinch of salt lol. I enjoy trying to read these photos. I’m not necessarily good at it.

Yes, that was the imaging for the stone in #13. I agree there’s definitely more green than I would love to see, but I am also no diamond expert and kinda doubtful I’d even be able to see a difference in brilliance!

themerv

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have thoughts on that stone? Thinking about pulling the trigger but would love some more input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results