shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Choosing Carat Size

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
I have a 6.25-6.5 size finger and am struggling with choosing carat size. One the one hand I love the 1.6-1.7 cts I have seen and the finger coverage. That size feels like something I can wear everyday without it looking too bling-y. On the other hand, I'm wondering if I should go with a 2 ct stone - a size that feels big now at age 30 and in grad school but that I can possibly grow into.

My concerns with the 2ct aside from it feeling large are social. I recently moved from NYC to Austin and most women I know here have a smaller center stone or are single. I'm already a little self conscious about the "lavish" lifestyle I lead - I travel internationally 3-4 times a year, have scuba dived all over the world, and eat out at pricey places 2+ times a month. My partner and I are able to do this even though I am in grad school because we don't have kids (yet), share a cheap place with roommates, stay in hostels when we do travel, and he makes a comfortably 6 figure salary. However while I like to treat myself to nicer things occasionally, he's the type of person who wears clothes until they have holes in them and only has a Timex watch, a fact he takes pride in.

Choosing a carat size feels stressful because while we can comfortably afford a 2ct - especially as a lab diamond - I'm worried about being judged harshly for materialism and lavishness, especially next to my frugal partner and less financially comfortable grad student friends.

What do you think Pricescope? In my shoes would you choose a 1.6-1.7 ct stone or go for the 2 cts?

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Isn’t everything bigger in Texas?

but consider too your future career/lifestyle, and whether 2 ct is practical for everyday wear. Or frequent diving trips in developing countries. In hostels. And if you’re not careful it could tear more holes in your wardrobe. {o_O}

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think a relatively modest stone is fine now as you can always look forward to an upgrade later too :) Just go with the stone that grabs you, regardless of size

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go for a 2 carat. Most people don't even notice our jewelry. And if the 2 carat sings to you now get it! Especially in a lab diamond! I'm also going to get a far bigger stone than what is usual in my country. I decided I'm wearing the ring and if somebody judges me because of it that's their problem not mine.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
If your social group mostly has much smaller stones, I doubt anyone would think somehow 1.6/7 carats was just a little big but 2 carats was huge. Both will be big in comparison, in which case you should get the one you want and that fits with your lifestyle.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No person who is not really, really into diamonds will be able to tell at a glance a 1.6-1.7 from a ~2 something carat stone. Also, Austin is still Texas, and everything really is bigger here. I wouldn't worry about it. I know plenty of women in Austin with larger diamonds.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried on both in person? Can you post some pics? They look so different depending on the finger, not even just finger size.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the 2 ct and be happy. If you don’t you will later wish you did.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, go for the 2 carat! It's not going to be tremendously bigger than a 1.7 so why not live a little.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
At a casual glance, the sizes will look similar. Get what you really want, hopefully your friends will just be super happy and excited for you! If it really bothers you, and you could see yourself upgrading later down the road, make sure you buy from a place with a great upgrade policy!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You won’t regret going bigger. I’m currently in Austin and have seen plenty of big bling here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results