shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing an aquamarine engagement ring

acidrunner

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some help in picking out an Aquamarine engagement ring. I am looking for a very basic and modestly-sized cushion cut (~6x6 to 9x9) or emerald cut (~8x6) Aquamarine stone in a traditional-looking setting.

Initially, I was thinking of choosing a ring from one of the online retailers. I found several that I like, including this one from Angara (1.8 carat stone in white gold ring), this one from Genvara, and this one from brilliant earth. There are even a few cheaper rings on Etsy that I like, including this one from RareEarth, and this one from kbestdesign.

However, when I went looking for reviews of these rings or retailers, I couldn't find much. And it is hard to tell the quality of the Aquamarine stone in these rings, and how they would stack up in the New to coloured gemstone buying guide. Furthermore, none of these retailers appear in the List of Vendors For Reference. Instead, most of the vendors on that list only sell gemstones.

I did find a few gemstones from the recommended vendords that look nice:
But I'm still not entirely sure how I would evaluate these stones? Just by looking at the picture? And what would be the process for getting this stone into a setting. Buy a setting that I like from a place like whiteflash, and find a local jeweler that can fit a stone into the setting?

Any comments on the premade rings from Angara or Gemvara? How would the quality of those rings compare with buying a stone and setting separately and putting them together myself?

Sorry for the very newby questions. I hope someone can make it a bit more clear for me how these things work.

Thank you!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I don’t like about the pics of those rings is that they’re stock pics and don’t show the actual stone. I find many places sell rings with stones that aren’t precision cut, so you might get a window. It’s hard to find a saturated aqua with minimal grey, but you might not care. Here’s a pretty one on the lighter side, and cheaper than the others you posted: http://gemrite.com/home/215-aquamarine-442-cts.html

You could ask John (who usually answers emails from Gemrite, or at least used to) how much to set it. If you want a simple setting, you could look at Stuller and maybe John could help you put together something nice and reasonably priced.

FYI, aqua isn’t a great everyday stone in terms of durability, so I hope you’ll be taking your rings off when you get home or are doing dishes, etc.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Aquas are lovely but not as hard wearing as sapphire, ruby and diamond so a little more care is required. Aquas can be very pale and transparent so it’s important you find one with a great, precision cut otherwise they can have a window ie you can see through the gem to your skin underneath. Mostly you want to avoid this as it’s a bit “meh”.
Most online vendors offer a return policy, so stick with those ones. Often you really need to see the gem in person to be 100% sure.
And if you get a standard shape, there a plenty of vendors who sell settings or can make/ modify one to your requirements and most you can send them your gem for setting if you want. Otherwise any local jeweller with a workshop can set the gem for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I concur with NKOTB that aqua is not a suitable stone for everyday wear.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about an aqua color sapphire- like a very pale one?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results