shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing a design for my chrysoberyl ring

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the process of designing a setting with David Klass for a 4 carat chrysoberyl: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-4-15-chrysoberyl.177782/

I am completely new to making ring design choices but I know I would like a halo setting for this stone, set in yellow gold. David Klass has come up with two designs, which I am sharing here. The stone is pretty deep for its size, so I am mindful of having a ring that “sticks up” too much. I also want the ring to be comfortable and not moved around too much on my finger. Which of these two designs do you prefer?

Attachments

• 2F4469C5-5DE9-40B8-9052-3BC0224B5F3F.jpeg
    2F4469C5-5DE9-40B8-9052-3BC0224B5F3F.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 4AAEE80D-447C-45AC-9FE9-2A92773DE615.png
    4AAEE80D-447C-45AC-9FE9-2A92773DE615.png
    495.7 KB · Views: 64

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great stone!

I prefer the second CAD just because I'd keep the gallery as open as possible to allow as much light in as possible.

I'd also pick the halo or the side stones but not both. To me, it looks a little too busy with both and detracts from that gorgeous center stone. Or, if you want more "presence" on the hand, maybe do a double halo or larger surrounding stones, rather than a single halo with the side stones. JMHO. I just wanted to get my thought in here so you could consider it if you want to but please ignore me otherwise. :)

Last edited:

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer the first CAD because I love intricate galleries. Either way I'm sure it'll come out great! =)2

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
You can't go wrong with either one. Personally, I'm a sucker for details, so I'd choose the 1st design.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty chrysoberyl :love:

I find it difficult to opinion between the two setting designs, because they don’t seem to be spec’d into your stone’s depth measurement. Or one is and the other isn’t. I feel it changes the design look enough to make it harder to choose.

You mention not wanting the ring to move around much on your finger - are you looking to achieve that through a wider shank, sizing pads, split shank or other means to take into design consideration?

Gorgeous, mouthwatering stone!! :P2 Hands down, for me, would be the first design. FYI, you mentioned crafting the ring out of YG, but David has the CADs as two-tone (YG/Plat). Just a heads up in case there's a discrepancy there. Really looking forward to seeing this finished piece!!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I was just reading through my saved pics of Spess and chrysoberyl yesterday, and photos of your stone are one of them!^^

Stunning gem here!

Just curious if you are setting it or you’re really making the first setting for this Rock??

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I was just reading through my saved pics of Spess and chrysoberyl yesterday, and photos of your stone are one of them!^^

+1

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the second one. To me, the baguette side stones and the curves in the gallery do not fit together.
Your chrysoberyl is gorgeous!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the first CAD. I'm not into big into open areas in a ring and I love the curly-qs in the gallery on the first CAD.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher is right about the depth. The first CAD has a depth of 6.27mm and the second has a depth of 7.2mm. I'm going to assume the second CAD was done after they received and measured the stone.

I prefer the first CAD because I love the curly swirly goodness of the design. I would ask DK to update the depth on that one so you can make the necessary adjustments to the profile. That way you can decide which one you like best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results