shape
carat
color
clarity

Help choosing 2 ct round LGD

LGD_Newbie

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to buy a round LGD with a max price of ~ $5,500USD. I have scoured most of the posts on this forum and have developed a very basic depth of knowledge. From this, I have come to a number of conclusions. I would appreciate your very knowledgeable input on these conclusions and diamond suggestions. My question essentially comes down to the following: Should I limit my search to an HPHT GCAL 8X diamond or instead work with vendor to find a great diamond regardless of whether it is HPHT or CVD?

My potentially incorrect opinions:

CVD vs HPHT

Although there are advantages and disadvantages to both CVD and HPHT, without seeing the diamond in person, HPHT tends to have fewer issues. CVD can suffer from a brown hue and strain. I have seen some videos that suggests that such strain may indeed affect light performance even from a reasonable distance. HPHT can suffer from a blue nuance but this can likely be perceived when viewing online. (Commentary from diamondscreener: Link)

GCAL 8X

GCAL 8X reports seem to be a much more stringent standard than anything else on the market. Although GCAL is a small lab, there is value in seeking out GCAL 8X reports. GIA and AGS are considered reputable labs that make up much of the market. IGI tends to be more lenient in its grading, in particular with regard to colour. This is especially true of the non-US graded diamonds (no US flag on the report).

Questions

From this, is it reasonable to conclude that a GCAL 8X HPHT diamond with a low HCA score will just about always be a great diamond? Has anyone been able to find a search engine that specifies HPHT and GCAL 8X?

Alternatively, as HPHT diamonds tend to be more expensive, is it instead reasonable to work with one of the dealers to find great CVD diamond? This opens up the market significantly, but obviously introduces an additional cost/mark-up.

Is there any way to filter for North American grown diamonds? It’d be nice to have at least some measure of comfort that good labour practices are maintained. My understanding is that even if a diamond is grown in NA, it will likely be finished overseas so this might be a moot point.

Though likely irrelevant, I’m located in Canada.

Diamonds

In searching for GCAL HPHT diamonds, the main vendor/search engine seems to be Adiamor. What is your perspective on either of the two following diamonds? Any suggestions?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.08-ct-E-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D49723851?rfr=pricescope - GCAL - 313471309

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.27-ct-F-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D49725762?rfr=pricescope - GCAL - 313471370

Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
You picked out some great options, @LGD_Newbie !

Here are some more HPHT GCAL 8X to add to your list of possibilities. All of these have slightly smaller tables with slightly taller crown heights.

I don't think you can make a wrong choice with any of the six here!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I wrote this in another member's thread, but my favorite is the 2.27 F VS2. Very clean with my favorite proportions.

I have unfortunately not been able to find a search engine that filters for HPHT or for diamonds grown in North America. I'm sure that a trusted vendor can help you find a great diamond regardless of HPHT or CVD. I don't know if there is a mark-up over finding a diamond on your own. Even with GCAL 8x and HPHT and an HCA score under 2, you would still need to check for blue nuance unless the report states Type IIa.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for you suggestions! The 2.27 is my favourite as well.

My other alternative is:

Would you agree that these are quite similar?

I like the 2.27 better...seems to have a smidge advantage with symmetry, although they won't be discernable side by side since they are just about identically proportioned.
$4450 at Frank Darling, so maybe price match if you want to buy from Adiamor?

Can you swing this one at Frank Darling for $5886, price-wise?
It's listed at Adiamor for $6340, so maybe price match?
It's 8.81mm in spread, so it should be a noticable bump in size from the 2.27ct, if you're interested in that aspect.

Here are their other colorless GCAL diamonds, but most of them are CVD, so you'll have to do some sifting:

LGD_Newbie

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up proceeding with the 2.27 stone from Adiamor and price matching with Frank Darling. They were fantastic to work with.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up proceeding with the 2.27 stone from Adiamor and price matching with Frank Darling. They were fantastic to work with.

Thanks for the update! Please come back and post pics for us :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations! You certainly chose a beautiful diamond!
I'll echo what FL_runner said: hope to see pictures once you get it!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wonderful! Can't wait to see it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results