shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Can''t Decide btw 2 Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tk-4

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Been lurking this website for awhile now trying to get as much info as I can and honestly, I think this site is extremely helpful.

I''ve been searching for a diamond for an engagement ring for awhile now and basically I''m left with the following 2 choices. I''m hoping someone will have an idea which diamond is better. I''m not able to put them side by side to compare as they''re from 2 different jewellers so I''m hoping someone can lend a helping hand and help me decide base on the specs.

Gemscan
1.52 VS1 F
Ideal Cut, Ideal Symmetry
7.46x7.42x4.54
Table 57%
Depth 60.8%
This stone has flouresence

GIA
1.50 VS1 F
Very Good Cut, VG Symmetry and Good Polish
7.36x7.41x4.54
Table 58%
Depth 61.4%
No flouresence

The price between the two are nominal so really it all boils down to the specs. I know most ppl are more comfortable with GIA certified stones but not GemScan. Plus, I''m not sure how big of an impact the flouresence issue is in the GemScan stone. The jeweller was able to show me the GemScan stone against another stone that had high enough flouresence that it made the stone look milky and dull. So comparatively speaking, the stone with the GemScan specs above did look a lot better than the milky and dull one so I''m thinking the flouresence issue isn''t too bad but again, I''m no expert and can''t really tell.

Thanks for everyone''s help in advance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS.
35.gif

We need more info such as the crown and pavillion angles, also the girdle thicknesses in order to be able to help you further. Post that if you can and we can go from there
1.gif
The tables are a tad large but these still might be great choices depending on the angles etc. How strong is the flourescence in the first diamond? Also don't go by labels such as Ideal Cut, Good Cut etc, these don't always mean the diamond IS well cut. Also the first diamond appears to have better symmetry, post more info if you can. Normally, faint and med flourescence if it is blue - won't be a problem. Rarely a diamond which exhibits strong blue might look oily or milky in some lights, but this is quite unusual. You can do a search on flourescence to find more info if you wish. Also post the prices too, this would be helpful. I am not too familiar with Gemscan's grading, but you might want to do a search also regarding their accuracy, also that many Canadian diamonds are certified by them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results