shape
carat
color
clarity

Help before purchasing this diamond

fantaaoorange

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I've used this website extensively for the past month as it has offered a wealth of information. I think me and my girlfriend have finally narrowed down our top 3 choices. I just wanted to ask what you guys thought of this diamond.

For some background info, we are pretty set on a man-made diamond for budget reasons. She is actually the one that made that decision so I know she will be completely fine with the diamond being man-made. We are looking at diamonds in the 2.0-2.2 carat range. Her setting will be a simple solitaire yellow gold band with the diamond set on a white gold head (she is still undecided about 4 or 6 prongs).

I attached the IGI report for the diamond that is our top choice. It seems to have everything we wanted. We were looking mostly at J colored diamonds so it is a big plus that this diamond is an I. I used the HCA tool and it got less than 2 which was also a very big plus.

The main thing I am concerned about is that clarity of this diamond. Its hard to exactly tell what the inclusions look like judging from the IGI report alone. Also, another questions hopefully someone can answer is regarding the color on the report. It says I, Faint Blue. I have never seen that before on a report so I was just wondering if it should be a point of concern.

214665843.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS generally only recommends AGS and GIA stones. I cannot comment to the "Faint Blue" on the report, perhaps someone who has seen more IGS report can comment. Do you have any images of this stone? Also, what is your budget?

Edit: OHhh.. this is a lab-made stone! Ok, also here no one will recommend man made stone as most see them as virtually worthless as they have questionable resale value, if any. Would you be open to having PS help you find a natural diamond within your budget? Many vendors have excellent upgrade policies that allow you to upgrade your stone in the future, if today you are not able to get that 2ct stone..

fantaaoorange

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply :)

And of course I would be open to PS finding a natural diamond. My budget is $9-10K for the diamond. Since we will be getting a yellow band, we are looking at J color diamonds. Clarity isn't as important as long as the diamond looks clean to the eye. I have found many man-made stones well
within or below my budget but have not found any natural diamonds.

I know that this is a diamond forum so I can definitely understand, with no hard feelings, that man-made stones will be frowned upon. However, me and my girlfriend just felt that this was the way to go for us.

I have requested magnified images of the diamond and they should be sent within the next couple of days. I will keep post them on here as soon as I get them!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fanta,
May I ask what sparks your interest in a synthetic diamond? Is is price or some other reason?

I'm always curious as to the thought process, as there is misinformation being disseminated by some of the synthetic growers.

fantaaoorange

Rough_Rock
Texas,

It's definitely the price which is why we're so interested. From my understanding, a synthetic and natural diamond will look the same with all things equal. And that is all my SO cares for.

Trust me, I fully understand that nothing can truly ever replace a natural diamond. But in me and my SO's case, a synthetic diamond is good enough for us.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, there's no way I'd spend anywhere near what you are considering on a synthetic diamond. It holds none of its value compared to a real diamond, which is crazy to me at such a high price tag! Most people here would urge you to reconsider...
You could ask BN if this stone is eye clean or has any haziness from the inclusions: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08994243
If you go slightly smaller: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09071357
If eye clean: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...k-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3236567
ETA: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/9397033...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Last edited:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas,

It's definitely the price which is why we're so interested. From my understanding, a synthetic and natural diamond will look the same with all things equal. And that is all my SO cares for.

Trust me, I fully understand that nothing can truly ever replace a natural diamond. But in me and my SO's case, a synthetic diamond is good enough for us.
That makes sense. Here's something to consider though. A synthetic will hold almost none of it's value. As technology improves the price will go down to pennies on today's dollars. Today, synthetic is still a lot of money, even though cheaper than natural. So,rather than save 30% or whatever by buying a synthetic today, why not consider buying a smaller size natural. If you buy one from a merchant with a good tradeup policy, that diamond will have stored value in the future in case you want to upgrade to the larger stone. Even without a guaranteed trade up or buyback option, a nice natural diamond has some liquidity in the secondary market and can be sold. As we have seen very clearly with the synthetic markets for sapphire and ruby, there are no such advantages.
Just something to think about.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^
+1

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with pp's. In the pretty-near future you will find you are wearing the equivalent of a cz. Will you feel the same about it then?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with pp's. In the pretty-near future you will find you are wearing the equivalent of a cz. Will you feel the same about it then?
OP will be better off buying a nice CZ vs spending 10k on something that will be close to worthless tomorrow. Perhaps, people will have different opinions in the Lab-Grown/Man-made forum, but it is hard to dispute that lab-grown diamonds are still developing and there is no secondary market for them really. OP you have a healthy budget to buy an awesome looking diamond that can always be "upgraded" in the future! Just search this forum for the word "upgrade", see how many hits you get:) Perhaps, it will be wise for you and your GF to spend a few months educating yourselves on diamonds, what makes some better than other (CUT, first and foremost), who are the preferred vendors, why are they preferred, etc. and after you are equipped with some knowledge, have the confidence to purchase a "forever" diamond, not such that will be "old technology" in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results