shape
carat
color
clarity

Help as it’s getting close to time to purchase

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure I understand, I'm sorry. It sounds like you are simply not that color sensitive. That is a good thing, so you can look at lower colors -- to the extend that the fairly useless GSI certification uses an objective color standard such that D is really different than J in their system. A better cut (not cut grade along, I mean how the actual stone is faceted and the proportions that result) is always going to improve the look of a diamond.

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
B9C30CDD-1E41-429B-8516-5F2819D23EB1.jpeg C2D750C9-D45D-4D3B-A32E-6B09229B4526.jpeg
Post regarding sizing and the reason I’m so confused.

1 1/2 years ago I went to a local jewelry store. They measured my ring size as a 6. Which would make sense as the picture below of my friends engagement ring size 5 1/2 fit. Zoom forward, lets just say I’ve put on a few happy in love pounds. Go to Jarads this past fall, my ring finger is 7 (although the ring was loose it was a summer day and hard to get over my knuckles). Which also is reflective of my friends engagement ring.

I get measured yesterday about the same weight and they tell me I’m a FIRM 5 1/2. I could go to 5 3/4 no higher. I’m ordering my ring from WF tomorrow and not sure what size to go with. Rings in previous posts from Jarad was size 6 and very loose

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The style of the setting looks like this one which is listed as 5 mm. I'd go back and get the exact stock number to be sure if you like this, as it is much wider than most ERING. Also, did you try to pair it with a band? You have nice, long fingers, but it may be less comfortable depending on the band you like.
https://design.jared-diamonds.com/Item/R999561357601/sc

White gold purchased in the US contains nickel (unless you can get a nickel-free alloy), which is a signification allergen for some. But, the rhodium plating used on the outside will hold onto a high-gloss shine longer. Depending on your body chemistry, the rhodium may stay on for years or come off in months. Platinum is a squishier metal and will tend to develop a fine, matte finish over time without polishing. Its heavier to the feeling. It can be polished annual to restore the shine, and it won't lose metal.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B9C30CDD-1E41-429B-8516-5F2819D23EB1.jpeg C2D750C9-D45D-4D3B-A32E-6B09229B4526.jpeg
Post regarding sizing and the reason I’m so confused.

1 1/2 years ago I went to a local jewelry store. They measured my ring size as a 6. Which would make sense as the picture below of my friends engagement ring size 5 1/2 fit. Zoom forward, lets just say I’ve put on a few happy in love pounds. Go to Jarads this past fall, my ring finger is 7 (although the ring was loose it was a summer day and hard to get over my knuckles). Which also is reflective of my friends engagement ring.

I get measured yesterday about the same weight and they tell me I’m a FIRM 5 1/2. I could go to 5 3/4 no higher. I’m ordering my ring from WF tomorrow and not sure what size to go with. Rings in previous posts from Jarad was size 6 and very loose
Can you go to Tiffany or Cartier to get your ring size checked? I've never found anyone at Jared I'd believe, especially as your seem to like a wide band. They need to check using a wide sizer.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0188102A-1EBA-4F06-B40C-EC9A811F093C.jpeg C64BDEDB-1205-404C-A959-34056BF00064.jpeg 488CBF9C-9DBE-4D83-B83D-B635D5812915.jpeg The G again with their cathedral setting. I actually like that width of the band. My question they say it’s 4mm in width. Can that be? My Vatche Royal Criwn is listed at 2.8 mm and looks much thicker. I feel whatever this is is the perfect width for my diamond/finger size. Additionally she salesperson said do not go platinum. Get 14k white gold with platinum prongs. Is this true?

1.) I don't know if their info regarding their own ring is accurate. I can say that rings look much much bulkier in highly magnified pictures than in real life. Ask wf for real life handshots of completed pieces if they have any. That might help with perspective.
2.) :think: did she give any reasons for this? I'd always prefer platinum all the way (no wearing away of plating, like the heft, like the significantly lower allergy risk, the added longevity). Some people don't care for the patina plt can develop, but you can always repolish without much loss of material (as opposed to gold) . If it's for financial reasons, on my custom ring the difference between Plat and 18k wg was 98$. So in the grand scheme of this purchase pretty insignificant...

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure I understand, I'm sorry. It sounds like you are simply not that color sensitive. That is a good thing, so you can look at lower colors -- to the extend that the fairly useless GSI certification uses an objective color standard such that D is really different than J in their system. A better cut (not cut grade along, I mean how the actual stone is faceted and the proportions that result) is always going to improve the look of a diamond.

Yep I always thought I was color sensitive but I guess I’m not. I’m happy with my purchase but now realize I could have compromised color for bigger size. I’m definitely not purchasing from Jarad just thought it interesting how they train their salespeople. I’m in sales myself and would never tell my customer something not factual just to make a sale.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you go to Tiffany or Cartier to get your ring size checked? I've never found anyone at Jared I'd believe, especially as your seem to like a wide band. They need to check using a wide sizer.

+1 to all of these points

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
1.) I don't know if their info regarding their own ring is accurate. I can say that rings look much much bulkier in highly magnified pictures than in real life. Ask wf for real life handshots of completed pieces if they have any. That might help with perspective.
2.) :think: did she give any reasons for this? I'd always prefer platinum all the way (no wearing away of plating, like the heft, like the significantly lower allergy risk, the added longevity). Some people don't care for the patina plt can develop, but you can always repolish without much loss of material (as opposed to gold) . If it's for financial reasons, on my custom ring the difference between Plat and 18k wg was 98$. So in the grand scheme of this purchase pretty insignificant...

I’m sticking with platinum and I had to drive to Housyon to go to Jarads (3 hr Drive). I will try the local jeweler tomorrow for sizing. It’s so reassuring to know I’m learning something from reading all of these posts. If you don’t do your homework you could easily buy a ring from a Jarads.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes WF. that’s beautiful but slightly above my budget with my band. Thank you so much for being so helpful :clap::dance:
No worries. Do you want to post a budget subtracting your ring to see what we can find? Or are you happy?

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
No worries. Do you want to post a budget subtracting your ring to see what we can find? Or are you happy?
My budget is $16k max setting and diamond. Ring is $1,600. What I have on hold is total a little over $15k. I’m happy but definitely open to options. Brittany is going to love me :drool:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sticking with platinum and I had to drive to Housyon to go to Jarads (3 hr Drive). I will try the local jeweler tomorrow for sizing. It’s so reassuring to know I’m learning something from reading all of these posts. If you don’t do your homework you could easily buy a ring from a Jarads.

Ummmm.....you do realize that WF is located in Houston, right? Technically, Sugar Land, which is south Houston.

My 2 cents is I'd quit playing in the minor leagues (Jared's) and hit the major leagues (WF) for sizing and to determine your color sensitivity. You can lay your eyes on the actual stone you are buying and compare it against an array of others.

Oh yeah, and if money or "shiny" isn't an issue....platinum all the way! No allergies, super tough and love the patina over time. When I did my fiancee's custom setting I ended up going with a palladium-white gold alloy that is truly white and doesn't require rhodium plating. Only went that way because she likes the shiny factor of WG better.

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
Ummmm.....you do realize that WF is located in Houston, right? Technically, Sugar Land, which is south Houston.

My 2 cents is I'd quit playing in the minor leagues (Jared's) and hit the major leagues (WF) for sizing and to determine your color sensitivity. You can lay your eyes on the actual stone you are buying and compare it against an array of others.

Oh yeah, and if money or "shiny" isn't an issue....platinum all the way! No allergies, super tough and love the patina over time. When I did my fiancee's custom setting I ended up going with a palladium-white gold alloy that is truly white and doesn't require rhodium plating. Only went that way because she likes the shiny factor of WG better.

Lol. Yes but they aren’t open on the weekends. Didn’t want to make an appointment for sizing only but looks like I may have to

Platinum it is. She said platinum wasn’t as shiny and most buyers prefer the shiny ness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results