shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Are "glamor shots" indicative of real life clarity?

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I haven't been on PS too long, so I will candidly inform you all that I am slightly neurotic.

That being said, I caught a glimpse of the glamor shots of my ring...and by caught a glimpse I mean saved on my computer and have been admiring for days (I am not allowed to see the ring until the actual proposal which could be a few months from now)...and I JUST noticed a cluster of "things" in the bottom left edge of the stone that look a lot like the inclusions on the (coincidentally) left edge of the clarity plot. So clearly I am now freaking out. The thing is, I thought the inclusions were listed in order, and so I thought the grade making inclusion was twinning wisps (bc that is listed first), so I figured the crystals, feathers, or clouds at one edge of the diamond (according to the report) would be less severe and therefore less noticeable etc. I don't think I see the wisps in the photo, but I'm concerned about the area I have circled in red.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if the glamor shots were indicative of real life clarity - or if they show the stone in a "better" light (eg hide flaws) or a worse light (eg magnify flaws). Do any of you have an opinion as to the (presumable) inclusions circled in red will be visible in real life? The clarity grade is S1. It is supposed to be "eye clean", but I knowww that everyone's opinions are different.

I know my boyfriend is going to look at it while still in the return period and decide whether HE thinks it's eye clean...and possibly take ti to our appraiser for a professional opinion of eye cleanness (cleanliness?)...but I was just wondering what people on here thought :). Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

clarity_plot.jpg
clarity%20issue.jpg

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help! Are "glamor shots" indicative of real life clarity

it is possible that the picture might need to be bigger to see the issue i am talking about. if anyone has advice on how to upload the picture bigger please let me know!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

i honestly can't see anything, and think that it could just be a reflection shadow casting possibly.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Looks like a reflection to me too.

atp223

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Gypsy and D&T.

I hope you guys are right! Or that the inclusions are at least not extremely visible in person. But thank you for your input!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

How big is this stone? It looks like it's at least 1.5 carats.

I have an SI1 clarity stone from Brian Gavin (seems like this is where you got your ring from too). Brian told me it's eye clean from 9 inches, 6 inches and even 3 inches. But he did warn me it's SI1 so if I have eagle eyes I *might* be able to see the inclusions holding the stone really close to my face. What he said were all true - I can't see the inclusions from 9 inches, 6 inches... I can see one inclusion from certain angles when I hold it very close to my face (I am near sighted). It's partly because I know where the inclusion is located.

That being said, you have to keep in mind that the picture is blow up 10000x... I can see the inclusion I mentioned above in the blown up pictures. But honestly chances are you won't be able to see them in real life.

atp223

Shiny_Rock

OC girl - yes it is from brian gavin. it's about 2 carats (http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104047808003). we saw 2 of their diamonds before changing our mind and going with this one, so we ended up not seeing it before the ring was set. as long as the inclusions aren't easily visible, I don't think it will bother me if they can be seen by me when I try really hard. But I just noticed that cluster right where the inclusions on the clarity plot of the AGS report are and had a minor freak out :).

ETA: and thank you so much for that reassurance...I spent about an hour today trying to google "BGD glamor shots" and "inclusions" and "real life". So basically your post above was exactly what I was looking for. :)

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

atp223|1317161766|3027290 said:
OC girl - yes it is from brian gavin. it's about 2 carats (http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104047808003). we saw 2 of their diamonds before changing our mind and going with this one, so we ended up not seeing it before the ring was set. as long as the inclusions aren't easily visible, I don't think it will bother me if they can be seen by me when I try really hard. But I just noticed that cluster right where the inclusions on the clarity plot of the AGS report are and had a minor freak out :).

ETA: and thank you so much for that reassurance...I spent about an hour today trying to google "BGD glamor shots" and "inclusions" and "real life". So basically your post above was exactly what I was looking for. :)

Ohhh you're the one who bought that stone!!! I was drooling over that stone for the longest time haha. I also own a BGD Blue ;)) but a much smaller one...

I loveee my stone. The cut is amazing!

Welcome to the BGD Blue Family :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results