carat
color
clarity

Help! advice/thoughts on options for earrings

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all

Happy Friday! I am working with a budget of 2K for new earrings. I thought I would go for martini set in their 14k or 18k to be able to spend the most on the stones themselves. I would be ever grateful if you rocky talky experts would be able to let me have your thoughts on the options below? Cut is really important to me, but I am trying to go as big as possible so don't mind H/I/J and SI1.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.40-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-pair-471059,524707

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.40-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-pair-450218,471059

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3171978,3222815,3222861,3222835

If you have any other suggestions do let me know! Thank you so much for your help.

Andrea :)

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
A couple of thoughts.

1) Matching a pair of diamonds is a pain to do online. I recommend asking a trusted dealer to match a beautiful pair for you.

2) GIA vs non-certed. Experienced dealers like White Flash and ID Jewelry have uncertified stones, graded inhouse, paired for earrings at popular smaller sizes. I bought a pair of non-certed 1.05 carat H/SI1 earrings at IDJ for significantly under $2000. They appraised very well, and just look spectacular. White Flash is a little more expensive but I would trust their non-certed, preset stones too.

Why no cert? Sometimes with smaller stones it's not worth it to the dealer to pay for GIA grading. They can pass on some of the savings to you. If you trust a dealer to source non-certed melee for your wedding band, you can probably trust that dealer to source a smaller pair of non-certed earrings.

3) If you want GIA certed stones (giving up a little size for certified quality) I would still ask a trusted online dealer to match a pair for you. It really takes a good eye and has to be done in person.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first 2 pairs at JA are not good crown/pavilion angles. You can use the HCA tool to see how well a stone scores.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

You would be better off with any of the Whiteflash combinations...or I second Danielxlin comments about letting
ID Jewelry pick you out some lovely matching stones in your budget.

When I have time later, I can check JA for you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two cents. I have recently purchased studs from Whiteflash and I would recommend their Expert Selection stones as a good balance between quality and service. Uncerted/preset studs aren't included in WF upgrade policy, but Expert Selection stones are. Unless you have a generous budget, personally I think there is no need to pay the extra premium for ACA super ideal for earrings. Expert Selection stones graded AGS 000 and with good HCA, idealscope etc should be fine for studs. If you're looking at stones under 0.5ct each, then it depends whether you want to pay a bit more for the lab reports (gia, ags) and upgrade policy. :)

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to reply to say thank you and let you know that I decided to go ahead with an uncerted pair from IDJ. They are just a bit over 1cttw and I/J color. They are gorgeous and the recipient is very happy!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deia|1440417814|3918412 said:
I just wanted to reply to say thank you and let you know that I decided to go ahead with an uncerted pair from IDJ. They are just a bit over 1cttw and I/J color. They are gorgeous and the recipient is very happy!

Congratulations! Are you posting any pics in Show Me the Bling forum?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deia|1440417814|3918412 said:

:appl: That's wonderful! Enjoy your new bling!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results