shape
carat
color
clarity

Help/Advice needed for Semi-Bezel Setting a Cushion

Aaron2789

Rough_Rock
Greetings Diamond Experts;

I've only just joined (Today) and would like some advice/info regarding Semi Bezel Settings (For a Cushion)

I'm on the path to formally/officially Proposing to my GF of 4yrs and She has made it pretty clear she doesn't want a Prong Set Ring and would prefer a Semi Bezel Setting, She's a Nurse so needs a Practical-ish Ring that won't Catch on anything or Rip Rubber Gloves when on, She does like a little height to a ring though and loves the V Shaped Heads like the Pics below.

I know it's the Rings supposed to be a surprise but I consulted her to make sure I get it right, for the both of us...After all she will be wearing it everyday!

It would be great if anyone could Post images of their own Semi Bezel Set Cushion Ring and offer a personal testimony like, Does the setting interfere with the Sparkle of the Stone? Are they high maintenance to clean?

The GF was kind enough to make this little Collage of the Style Ring she likes as you can see she loves Yellow Gold lol

Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Semi Bezel Set Cushions.jpg

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The semi bezel should not snag on anything, you will just have to be careful with the exposed sides.

Take a look at Scholdt for settings. They really are known for this!

The setting should not have an impact on the performance, because that's really about the stone cut and the way light passes through.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I love Scholdt settings... I'm not personally a fan of the above designs as they don't complement the shape of cushions (I thought some of them were rounds) but if anyone can make a cushion in a semi-bezel look good, she would be the jeweller!

Yes, there will be exposed edges but if she's a careful person, it shouldn't be a problem,

I have a full bezel round and also a 2ct semi-bezel oval being made. I went with semi-bezel as I think it will let the light through better than full. Compared to a prong setting though, you probably will sacrifice a little bit of bling factor.

Choose the right jeweller and they'll get the setting right.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the setting?

I love that lower left picture...ditto the sholdt suggestion. They are going to probably charge you more for making it fit a cushion-shape stone.

BTW...that one on the lower left is a Sholdt.

Aaron2789

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice/info the budget for the setting is £1000 around $1280 I'm UK based so would preferably like a Jeweller here to create it especially as the Stone will be sourced here too.

My max budget is £3500 setting and stone although I think the Stone will be easier to source as I have contacted a Local Jeweller who has an array of Cushions available that we will see in person together she is pretty easy Stone wise anything from F to I colour & VS1 to SI she would prefer a Magic Number stone (just under a 1ct) thankfully she isn't solely driven by the Magic 1ct lol she wanted to see them in person after reading the follies of buying Cushions just on Certs alone, plus you can't go Diamond Shopping often!

I know my Budget isn't the highest but I think its achievable...I would be interested to see if anyone has had a Semi Bezel Set Cushion created on here lately?? Especially UK based so I can use the same Jeweller lol...I know I'm probably clutching at Straws but I can hope!

I Love the Sholdt settings & would more than likely use those as Inspiration but that price would take me to my limit plus I'd have to add on Delivery and around 20% Customs fee and the Mounting Fee for the Jeweller here :eek2:

I'm sorry if I sound overly awkward it's times like this that make me wish I lived in the States lol

Last edited:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I probably can't help much being an Aussie but perhaps you can find a lovely jeweller like mine who is happy to repurpose a bunch of my old gold rings etc. to keep the budget down. My ring will cost 1200 AUD to make so about 600 pounds using my own gold. Maybe you have female relatives who have something to donate? Just a thought to get as much bang for your buck :D

Aaron2789

Rough_Rock
@monipod that's a Great idea, I have a few old gold pieces hanging around so that will help the budget abit!

Now just to find a Jeweller here lol we are Diamond shopping on Wednesday (Both our Day off lol) that will be interesting for the two of us :lol-2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erika Winter's Jin is also lovely, although a full bezel. Just be aware that a bezels are pretty hard to do right. Please find someone that works from CAD and post designs here. Also, would you describe your girl as more contemporary/modern or lover of vintage? That would change the kind of settings I'd use as inspiration.

here's a thread of UK jewelers

Aaron2789

Rough_Rock
Erika Winter's Jin is also lovely, although a full bezel. Just be aware that a bezels are pretty hard to do right. Please find someone that works from CAD and post designs here. Also, would you describe your girl as more contemporary/modern or lover of vintage? That would change the kind of settings I'd use as inspiration.

here's a thread of UK jewelers

Thank-You for the great advice I'll checkout that list, Certainly helps me a great deal!

The Future Mrs is definitely a Modern Gal she likes simple no nonsense designs she was tempted to scrap a Solitaire Ring for a Baguette Eternity Band but she opted for the Solitaire, Her B'day is in May so I will surprise her with a Baguette Eternity Band then.

@rockysalamander would it be much hassle to mix metals on a Bezel Ring so have a Yellow Gold Shank then a Platinum Head/Bezel apologies if the Lingo is incorrect she likes to mix her metals lol

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank-You for the great advice I'll checkout that list, Certainly helps me a great deal!

The Future Mrs is definitely a Modern Gal she likes simple no nonsense designs she was tempted to scrap a Solitaire Ring for a Baguette Eternity Band but she opted for the Solitaire, Her B'day is in May so I will surprise her with a Baguette Eternity Band then.

@rockysalamander would it be much hassle to mix metals on a Bezel Ring so have a Yellow Gold Shank then a Platinum Head/Bezel apologies if the Lingo is incorrect she likes to mix her metals lol

It depends on the style of the bezel. The bezel needs to be a separate piece from the shanks. Lots of ideas below. But, the one above (Sholdt yellow gold with old diamond) would not work. Personally, I think a well-made bezel in a single metal has the most longevity and wearability. You can always stack bands to add mixed metal. Also -- contemporary is hard to do well.

1574629757386.png

1574629882339.png

1574629933441.png
1574630608181.png
1574630089372.png

1574631011065.png
1574631051913.png

1574630718769.png

Attachments

• 1574629747090.png
    1574629747090.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1574630043586.png
    1574630043586.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1574630178123.png
    1574630178123.png
    280.5 KB · Views: 29

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry. I did not really finish my thought. A well-designed contemporary design is pretty hard to accomplish. If you work with a local jeweler and not a stock setting, make sure you find someone that this clean design is within their wheelhouse. They can show you clean and balanced settings that have flow and clean lines. Not straight lines, just simplicity and clean flow.

Aaron2789

Rough_Rock
So much food for thought here @rockysalamander you've given me alot to think about I really appreciate all your help/input especially all the great pics!

I think it will most definitely be a Custom Piece I've scoured a few UK Based Jewellers Webpages and can't find any Semi Bezels for Cushions.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for any recent Cushion threads lol just in case any or Bezel set :lol-2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go full bezels -- they can also be solid on the side or open. I personally prefer open in terms of seeing my stone and being able to get the blasted thing clean. But, that is personal choice.

Mark Morrell, beautifully made solid bezel. You can see that the bezel looks integrated into the shank, not just a tube suspended between the shanks. This particular design would not allow a flush wedding band, but it shows how the head and shank can be integrated well. Since you mention adding bands, I would go with a Ering that allows a flush wedding band.

1574687317880.png

Another way to view a semit-bezel is to think of tabby prongs that are wider. This is a great example of that. You can see the tap prongs cover the corners, but leave some of the girdle exposed. Vintage, so not her style, but imagine this is a more contemporary band. Avoid all pave on the shank and ring, so ignore that here.

1574687766067.png

Attachments

• 1574687537824.png
    1574687537824.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 24

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I really, really like that Mark Morrell one @rockysalamander! It looks so clean and easy to wear. That would be a great low maintenance style.

If you go full bezels -- they can also be solid on the side or open. I personally prefer open in terms of seeing my stone and being able to get the blasted thing clean. But, that is personal choice.

Mark Morrell, beautifully made solid bezel. You can see that the bezel looks integrated into the shank, not just a tube suspended between the shanks. This particular design would not allow a flush wedding band, but it shows how the head and shank can be integrated well. Since you mention adding bands, I would go with a Ering that allows a flush wedding band.

1574687317880.png

Another way to view a semit-bezel is to think of tabby prongs that are wider. This is a great example of that. You can see the tap prongs cover the corners, but leave some of the girdle exposed. Vintage, so not her style, but imagine this is a more contemporary band. Avoid all pave on the shank and ring, so ignore that here.

1574687766067.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention it, but Maevona has some of the most beautiful bezel and semi bezels. She'll customize and it quite affordable. I bet she'd be able to make a cushion bezel that was stunning. She's based in California in the US, but I'm pretty sure she has overseas vendors.

1574854292807.png

1574854362498.png

1574854664858.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maevona vendor in the UK
Daniel Henderson
188 Rose St, Edinburgh EH2 4BA, United Kingdom +44 131 466 1745

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results