Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Please!

B-Rad

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
5
After reading posts on this site, I found a center stone for her Veragio platinum halo with g/h,vs2 sides stones. I'm crunched for time
(5 days), touchdown & propose. I'd appreciate any advice pro/con... Was looking for big, bright, sparkly and eye clean in a Ctr stone with a budget of $7k.

Did I make a sound choice? I am so out of my comfort zone with this. Thanks in advance... Hoorah

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1143419
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
31,598
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

B-Rad|1468295130|4054613 said:
After reading posts on this site, I found a center stone for her Veragio platinum halo with g/h,vs2 sides stones. I'm crunched for time
(5 days), touchdown & propose. I'd appreciate any advice pro/con... Was looking for big, bright, sparkly and eye clean in a Ctr stone with a budget of $7k.

Did I make a sound choice? I am so out of my comfort zone with this. Thanks in advance... Hoorah

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1143419
IGI??..My advice is to stick with GIA or AGS graded stones... ;))
 

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,319
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

So you are putting it in a setting she already has? Is JA setting it?

I see you need a ring in 5 days. Not sure there's much we can do for you at this point.....but honestly, don't take this the wrong way, but that isn't a stone I would've recommended or chosen. It looks much more tinted than a GIA or AGS I would be and the inclusions look scary. Did they tell you it was eye clean? Also the proportions of that stone aren't the greatest and that is what lends the stone to sparkle, etc. Can you exchange the stone if your GF doesn't like it? That may be a good way to go if you need a ring asap for the proposal. Hopefully I didn't burst your bubble as that's not my intention.
 

B-Rad

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
5
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the cosmos is working for me. Just rcvd this am - my replacement is 2wks delayed. So maybe I have bit of reprieve here for my stone. I can cancel this purchase by tomorrow and return w/I 30 days. I am able to increase stone budget to $7300. Again any help is appreciated.

Oh, previous stone was said to be eye clear.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,683
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Sorry to hear about your delay...I'm sure you cant wait to get home!

Do you know what size stone the setting will hold (in mm)? Did they give you a range? Your budget is a little tight for a well cut
1.5 but I'll keep looking.

Only stones I'm finding that fit in budget/size are J colored...
Hopefully this will bring up a 1.53 J/VS2 stone...if not the stock number is 157606178
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_min=1.45&clarity=SI1,VS2,SI2&color=I,H,G,F,E,D,J&has_image=true&heirloom=true&shape=Round&wire_price_max=7410.0#diamond=R153-157606178

JA
angles are a little off but I think it will still be a pretty stone
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-906541

This might be a good time to call ID Jewelry online. Yekutiel is great at finding stones and offering very good value.
You need to ask to speak to Yekutiel. Tell him your situation.
http://idjewelry.com/

I'll keep looking though...
 

B-Rad

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
5
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Thank you! I am not set to 1.5ct center, but if I could stay between 1.3 - 1.5 would be awesome. Thanks again.

Would a "J" color fit with a platinum halo with g/h,vs2 side stones. Ring will be purchased at local jeweler in FL. They sent a couple of options that they could make work for me if stone is 6.9-7.3 mm.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,683
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

B-Rad|1468328125|4054684 said:
Thank you! I am not set to 1.5ct center, but if I could stay between 1.3 - o1.5 would be awesome. Thanks again.

Would a "J" color fit with a platinum halo with g/h,vs2 side stones. Ring will be purchased at local jeweler in FL. They sent a couple of options that they could make work for me if stone is 6.9-7.3 mm.
We usually suggest staying within 2 color grades so you will definitely see a color difference between the sides and the J colored stone.
Small side stones dont show their color like larger stones.

I would suggest an "I" colored stone but not sure if that will fit in budget at the size needed. I'll look around some more. Do you have
any links/pictures of the settings that you can post?
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,683

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,298
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

I suggest you do what tyt333 recommended - call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. He can help you - he's easy to work with and will educate you along the way. Tell Yekutiel that you were recommended by PriceScope and he will do a very good job with helping you. (212) 921-9372. That is the phone number for ID Jewelry. Make a call rather than sending an email. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :wavey:
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,900
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Queenie60|1468342073|4054758 said:
I suggest you do what tyt333 recommended - call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. He can help you - he's easy to work with and will educate you along the way. Tell Yekutiel that you were recommended by PriceScope and he will do a very good job with helping you. (212) 921-9372. That is the phone number for ID Jewelry. Make a call rather than sending an email. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :wavey:
Agreeing with everyone's comments so far. I wouldn't go with IGI, the stats don't look great, an IGI 'I' color can be noticeably tinted and that SI2 looks pretty grubby. Ditto the comments re calling Yekutiel; he's a great guy and can find you something terrific within budget. I'm also not a fan of Verragio settings; they're very 'busy' - too much detail and a bit tizzy for my taste. If your girl specifically wants one - then great. But if she hasn't specifically said this is what she wants, I think you can do better. You can also probably get the elements she likes in a different brand, so don't feel constrained by the setting, unless it's one you/she already have/has.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,633
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Definitely cancel that one. But if you already bought a setting, that setting has an optimal size that will fit. There is a good bit of difference in a 1.3 and a 1.5. Did the setting come with a CZ in it? If so, you need the mm measurements of that stone. If that setting is for a 1.5 ct stone (which means around 7.4mm), it may be tough to get that with your budget.
 

B-Rad

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
5
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Thanks again, you all are a very big help. My stress was peaking for a minute...lol.

Settings were narrowed to two (not a Veragio, confused by all of her pics). Since I have been extended 2wks, and have 2ks time off when I return I'll push the proposal to 20 Aug.

First and maybe the best option: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-cushion-outline-and-pave-gallery-engagement-ring-item-53040

2d and my favorite (I'll know tomorrow if they can have it by the 20th): http://www.tacori.com/55-2cu65

TYTY333... Thank you :D I went with enchanted diamonds for center stone.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com Stock # R131-67Z414049. It's a 1.31, I/VS2, GIA TRIPLE-X, H&A.

She is a size 5, so the guy said it will look nice on her finger size.

Originally, the plan was 2.5, F, VVS2 solitaire... Why this for the first ring...
1. She is a saver/investor, which is also her vocation, and would rather take a vacation than buy stuff, plus
2. I'm not a big fan of two of her colleagues...they are always bragging about their proposal, and asking her "is this the year?",
3. She is my soulmate and has sacrificed so much for me/us, and helping with my grandmother for a year and 1/2- I altered them slightly.

Downgraded to a beautiful 1.31 w/halo, but added her dream car - an M4.

Thought I'd share a little of me since you all saved my neck.
 

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2014
Messages
278
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

B-Rad you sound like a very sharp guy, thanks for sharing your story. You're going to make a great husband!!!

Come back and show us some pictures and give an update when you receive the ring :loopy:

Congratulations on your purchase!
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,683
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

B-Rad...thank you for your service!

To be honest B-Rad, I would not have recommended that stone. The good news is that it looks to have minimal light leakage
(yeh)...the bad news...it's cut too deep. We like to stay in the range of 60-62.3%. It is going to face up a tad smaller then
it should for a 1.3. I guess not a big deal but we like to eek out every bit of size we can.

Post pictures when you get it! Congrats on your upcoming engagement!!! And Welcome HOME (a little early but I may never get to
say it)!!!

Let us know if you need anymore help! :wavey:
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,900
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

tyty333|1468504092|4055376 said:
B-Rad...thank you for your service!

To be honest B-Rad, I would not have recommended that stone. The good news is that it looks to have minimal light leakage
(yeh)...the bad news...it's cut too deep.
We like to stay in the range of 60-62.3%. It is going to face up a tad smaller then
it should for a 1.3. I guess not a big deal but we like to eek out every bit of size we can.

Post pictures when you get it! Congrats on your upcoming engagement!!! And Welcome HOME (a little early but I may never get to
say it)!!!

Let us know if you need anymore help! :wavey:
Have to agree with this. And it *does* seem to have some leakage; the ASET looks good, but not great.

I think your attitude, however, is perfect. And as others have said - thank you for your service; it's invaluable and appreciated.

Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes for a very happy future.
 

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
2,319
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

mrs-blop said:
tyty333|1468504092|4055376 said:
B-Rad...thank you for your service!

To be honest B-Rad, I would not have recommended that stone. The good news is that it looks to have minimal light leakage
(yeh)...the bad news...it's cut too deep.
We like to stay in the range of 60-62.3%. It is going to face up a tad smaller then
it should for a 1.3. I guess not a big deal but we like to eek out every bit of size we can.

Post pictures when you get it! Congrats on your upcoming engagement!!! And Welcome HOME (a little early but I may never get to
say it)!!!

Let us know if you need anymore help! :wavey:
Have to agree with this. And it *does* seem to have some leakage; the ASET looks good, but not great.

I think your attitude, however, is perfect. And as others have said - thank you for your service; it's invaluable and appreciated.

Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes for a very happy future.
I'm agreeing with tyty and mrs blop (both about the stone and your service!). It is however a lot better than the first stone you posted ::) .

If you get a chance come back and post some photos and all the best with the proposal!!
 

B-Rad

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
5
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Your thoughts on this one? I scrapped the previous diamond and Contacted Yekutiel.

I don't have the link at the moment but GIA Report was sent via txt: 1.3 GIA triple Ex, H/SI2, eye clean, 6.93-6.98-4.31mm, CA=35 , PA=40.6, Depth 61.9, Table 58%, slightly thick.

And these:

_4787.jpeg

_4788.jpeg

_4789.jpeg
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,683
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

This one has good numbers but is showing some leakage under the table. I'm assuming it is eye-clean? Do you have a regular picture of
it to post?

Edit ...I trust Yekutiel so If he can promise you that its a really good performer I think I would trust him. Would be nice to see
the GIA report though. Are all those twinning wisp? Is this one less then the other stone you were looking at or more?
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,298
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Confirm with Yekutiel what his definition of "eye clean" is pertaining to this stone. You should also address the light leakage. He will be very honest with you. And if you don't like this stone, have him continue to look for you. He will be able to find something very nice for you. Be patient and trust him. Good luck - you're in good hands with IDJ. :wavey:
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,633
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

The clarity in that diamond looks really bad. Tell him you want VS2 clarity or an exceptionally clean SI1. Get a good quality diamond.

Here is the number range to stay in to get a well cut diamond. Give him these numbers.

Table: 54-58

Depth:60-62.3

Crown angle: 34-35.0

Pav angle: 40.6-40.9

Also, if you buy from ID Jewelry, they can definitely help you with a halo setting.
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,900
Re: Help a vet decide on a diamond for engagement ring...Ple

Agreeing with everyone's comments here. Seems to show leakage and the stone looks to have some obvious inclusions. Not the direction I'd go, frankly.

Hang in there, tho - Yekutiel will sort this out. Just tell him - eye clean, eye clean, eye clean! And no leakage.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Lucky Alhambra Bracelet
    Handmade diamond studs
    Handmade diamond studs
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top