shape
carat
color
clarity

Hello Folks! Another 'Help Needed' post I am afraid!

First_Timer_Guy

Rough_Rock
First of all, I'd like to compliment all of the forum users on their INCREDIBLE knowledge about diamonds! And here was me thinking it all ended at the 4C's, boy was I wrong!

After being a total coward and walking past stores for the last 6 months, (frankly looking like a weirdo just hanging around and sweating!), and ALOT of online searching via this forum and some online Merchants, I finally made a decision to go and look at some actual stones today in a variety of dealers here in the UK (Scotland) with a view to 'manning up' and proposing!

Apologies for the lengthy first post, but there is SO many helpful people on here with a passion for diamonds I thought I should give as much info as possible. Can't really ask any of her friends for input as this should be a complete surprise.

With regards to the 4Cs, I had came to the conclusion that the following is most important for me (everyone is different I guess):

Colour - Would really prefer a D, E or F.
Cut - Round Brilliant, Princess, Princess of Hearts perhaps.
Carat - 1 to 1.5 would be ample dependant on the stone as I believe anything above would be 'too big' for my lady!
Clarity - I guess anything up to VS2 however I will explain my thoughts on that momentarily.
Cost - Well, depends on how good a deal I can get for the right stone, however I can round it up to around $10k.

I initially went out with the intention of looking at Round stones, maybe even Hearts On Fire (I know they are perhaps overpriced due to the Brand Name) as I love the look of Hearts and Arrows Cuts. Difficult to come by in my neck of the wood thus far.

The stones I saw, and apologies if this is insufficient info to make any real decision, were as follows:

1.00, G, VS1, Round Brilliant (VG in most aspects), GIA - Just under $8000
1.11, D, VS2, Princess Cut (VG in most aspects), GIA - Just over $9000

I didn't ask for the GIA Report number (wasn't sure if that was proper protocol or not!?). Could call them tomorrow no doubt.
Comparing these two stones, I favoured the Princess cut, it appeared much brighter probably due to the colour difference, however the inclusion when looked at through the eyeglass was smack BANG in the centre of the stone. When I looked at the stone again, I was convinced I could see it despite the claim that it was eye clean.......maybe just my mind playing tricks on me?

Since returning home I have been infatuated with the Princess of Hearts cuts on GOG and tempted just to pull a sickie from work and hop on an overpriced flight to look at these in person! Slow down Son....Slow down, she may not even like it! :)

I don't have any further detail at this moment, but I am sure I can do so.
Would anybody be able to offer ANY advice whatsoever based on my somewhat sparse collection of info at this stage?

Many MANY thanks in advance for even taking the time to read my post. Again, very useful forum!

D

PS - Noticed as well, as pointed out in some posts, that not many of the Sales Persons could talk about Cut Quality at all. Slightly disappointed with that as I had crammed as much info as possible into my nervous mind!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! :wavey:

If you want this to be a total surprise and aren't sure what shape your girlfriend will like best, going with a vendor like Good Old Gold is a really good idea, since they have a good return policy, as well as a nice upgrade policy.

Honestly, I love the Princess of Hearts stones, but I am a square kind of gal. Have you noticed your girlfriend expressing any preference for shapes? Like, has she commented on a friend's ring, or ever shown you an advertisement for a ring she likes? You could check her bookmarks to see if she's saved any rings to her favorites. :naughty: Or, if she hasn't mentioned anything, YOU could start pointing out a ring here or there, and see how she responds.

Safest bet would probably be a round stone, unless you know that she wants square. You could purchase a stone from Good Old Gold and have them ship it to you to view before setting, but that might be a hassle since you're in the UK and I'm not sure what kind of fees you'd incur for an item like this.

First_Timer_Guy

Rough_Rock
Hi Rubybeth, thanks for the quick response!

Here's the weird thing, in almost 6 years we have never really discussed rings!? Which sounds weird out loud, but there has never been any pressure on any of us in our relationship and its always been an amazing one, hence the reason I want to keep it :D !

I did look at Round Brilliant cuts as I know they are perhaps the safe option, with Princess cuts being a close second but todays stones threw all of that up in the air for me! Especially when I saw the Princess of Hearts stones, almost a best of both worlds scenario.

What I do know is that she isn't too 'blingy', doesn't go for vintage style rings and would probably like something fairly simple. Which is why I am focusing more on having a nice stone in a nice simple setting. The one I looked at was a 4 prong setting with a slight twist in the band which meant the stone sat at an angle (if that makes sense?). Again, like you say it's probably a risk getting something too different, but I think I know her well enough to judge, and if the worst comes to the worst (hopefully not!), it could go back and exchanged God Forbid!

Fairly comfortable in my assessment of her style though, until I start over thinking things! :roll:

First_Timer_Guy

Rough_Rock
PS - checking Bookmarks.......sneaky :Up_to_something: but I like it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think a round is probably safest if you have no idea what she really wants. But I would go with excellent/ideal cut. Good Old Gold has been mentioned and is great because you could trade for another shape excellent cut stone if you had to. Most of us have bought from a distance knowing we have 30 days to return the stone.

Good luck in your search!

First_Timer_Guy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input diamondseeker.

I think I am may be a little stumped up here in Scotland for viewing all the stones I would like to compare.
It does add a bit of difficulty buying abroad or even in London should we need to resize, change the stone/setting etc.

Two steps forward, 83 steps back :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results