shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirlooming a heirloom dress.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My grandma just moved into an assisted living apartment and greatly downsized. I have inherented her wedding dress. She was married during WWII and the dress is gorgeous. Unfortunately it does have some condition issues. The fabric itself is in great shape except for some areas of slight discoloation. There is also a small amount of lace that is falling apart. I strongly suspect that the fabric is polyester or some other synthetic blend. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on restoring/preserving the dress. It is so stylish that I may actually eventually display it. I hesitate to just take it to a local dry cleaner or do anything myself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't take it to just any dry cleaner.
Find an upscale vintage clothing store in your area. Places that carry high end designer vintage (not a junk shop). Make an appointment and take the dress into them. They will be the best people to tell you what you should do with it, and will give you recommendations for specific dry cleaners that are used to dealing with vintage and fragile garments. They will likely also either have on staff or know of seamstresses that are skilled at repairing vintage items (taking out damaged lace and replacing it with something new so well that you can't tell the difference between old and new or adding details to cover up spots that are damages-- like appliques and so on).

You need to do a little leg work but I know it will be worth it.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
If you can't find a high end vinatge clothes dealer check with a local, professional theater. They will often use real vintage pieces if they can get them or construct costumes in historical methods and they will have a bead on the best seamstresses in the area. And now that I think about it, reenactment groups will also probably know this, but only if they have some women involved (most do).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results