shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom Stone - Engagement Ring

askingsoon

Rough_Rock
My girlfriends family has a diamond ring that we are going to use the center stone for an engagement ring. I have not seen the ring yet but I'm told it's a round diamond of very good quality. I'm debating between getting a custom setting made or using a ready made setting. I've been looking online to get ideas and I really like Danhov (are there any similar brands?).

We're both fans of solitaire settings so I'm not sure if it's worth it to go the custom route. Can I get some insight on the process of getting a setting custom designed and also does anybody have recommendations on jewelers in Des Moines, IA (either for custom or for readymade settings)?

I appreciate any help and will be updating information about the diamond after I get the ring over Christmas when we go to visit her family.

Thanks

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
askingsoon|1418173400|3798575 said:
My girlfriends family has a diamond ring that we are going to use the center stone for an engagement ring. I have not seen the ring yet but I'm told it's a round diamond of very good quality. I'm debating between getting a custom setting made or using a ready made setting. I've been looking online to get ideas and I really like Danhov (are there any similar brands?).

We're both fans of solitaire settings so I'm not sure if it's worth it to go the custom route. Can I get some insight on the process of getting a setting custom designed and also does anybody have recommendations on jewelers in Des Moines, IA (either for custom or for readymade settings)?

I appreciate any help and will be updating information about the diamond after I get the ring over Christmas when we go to visit her family.

Thanks

Hi askingsoon :wavey:

In my opinion, it's unnecessary to go custom for a solitaire unless there is some special aspect of the design that you are seeking, but cannot find in a stock setting. There are so many really nice solitaire settings you could order without going the custom route. Can you describe and/or post some photos of the type of solitaire setting she likes? Has she specified whether she wants a 4 or 6 prong? Also, what price point were you thinking of applying to the setting?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many lovely stock solitaire setting in all sorts of configurations (cathedral or plain shank, different style heads, prong styles, etc.) One manufacturer of custom classic style solitaires I think would be worth looking at is Mark Morrell -http://markmorrell.weebly.com/mwm-signature-settings.html. Unfortunately his new website doesn't have a very good gallery, :sick: but a PS search should turn up several Mark Morrell rings.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MINIMS said:
There are many lovely stock solitaire setting in all sorts of configurations (cathedral or plain shank, different style heads, prong styles, etc.) One manufacturer of custom classic style solitaires I think would be worth looking at is Mark Morrell -http://markmorrell.weebly.com/mwm-signature-settings.html. Unfortunately his new website doesn't have a very good gallery, :sick: but a PS search should turn up several Mark Morrell rings.

Good call! I seem to forget MM -- his pieces look flawless and the designs are beautiful!

askingsoon

Rough_Rock
She's been fairly hands off, other than the solitaire hint. 6 vs 4 prongs isn't a deal breaker for me. I think they can both look very nice. Is there much benefit for 6 prongs over 4 for keeping the diamond secure? As far as price I'd like to keep it below $2500 for the setting and having the stone set.

Here are some of my favorites so far:
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/cl108
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl138
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl114

I'm still wondering if there is a benefit to purchasing the setting through a local jewelry store or just buying the setting online and taking both the setting and stone in and having them set it.

Thanks for the help so far I'm going to start looking at the Mark Morrell setting when I get a chance!

Side note: I think I would be going with white gold and have been reading that 14K might be the way to go since it's harder than the 18K. Is this true? I was surprised as typically with jewelry your'e told more $$ is better.

Thanks again!

askingsoon

Rough_Rock
askingsoon|1418253675|3799128 said:
She's been fairly hands off, other than the solitaire hint. 6 vs 4 prongs isn't a deal breaker for me. I think they can both look very nice. Is there much benefit for 6 prongs over 4 for keeping the diamond secure? As far as price I'd like to keep it below $2500 for the setting and having the stone set.

Here are some of my favorites so far:
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/cl108
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl138
http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl114

I'm still wondering if there is a benefit to purchasing the setting through a local jewelry store or just buying the setting online and taking both the setting and stone in and having them set it.

Thanks for the help so far I'm going to start looking at the Mark Morrell setting when I get a chance!

Side note: I think I would be going with white gold and have been reading that 14K might be the way to go since it's harder than the 18K. Is this true? I was surprised as typically with jewelry your'e told more $$ is better.

Thanks again!

here is another one that I really like:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/18k-white-gold-2.2mm-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-22640

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really love the Third Danhov. The detail in the head is beautiful.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Having six prongs on a stone setting is much more secure than only having four prongs. With a four-prong setting, if one prong is bent or broken there's only three prongs left and the stone has a good chance of falling out. With six prongs, if one is broken you still have five left to keep the stone in place until you can get the setting repaired. Six prongs will also protect the girdle more effectively than four, and I think they look more substantial.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a decision I would really get your girlfriend's input on. There could be minor aspects of even a simple solitaire she likes or doesn't like. If you have time I would take her to some jeweler's and have her try on rings.
2500 is a very healthy budge for solitaire setting so this way you know you will get exactly what she loves.

askingsoon

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1418283992|3799350 said:
You seem to be attracted to rather thin pave-set shanks. Please read this thread before you make a final decision: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

Thanks for the info, it was something as a guy who's never worn a ring that I would have considered a setting being too thin! My thought was more along the line of "if the make it, it should work". Kind of like how they won't sell you a car with bicycle tires on it :)

My girlfriend has pretty small hands which is why I've been looking at thinner settings, with the thought that we would then get the wedding band that matches up and be worn together. However I recently found some basic wedding bands that have your spouses fingerprint engraved in/on them that I really liked for me and she also liked the idea so taking this information into perspective I will probably look at bands that are a bit thicker (at least 2 mm but less than 3) since she would switch the engagement ring to her right hand and have the band solo on the left.

Here are those fingerprint rings if anybody is interested. Seems like a cool idea.
https://www.brentjess.com/?gclid=COmh5YSYwcICFZPm7AodoQIAHA

askingsoon

Rough_Rock
part gypsy|1418317443|3799491 said:
This is a decision I would really get your girlfriend's input on. There could be minor aspects of even a simple solitaire she likes or doesn't like. If you have time I would take her to some jeweler's and have her try on rings.
2500 is a very healthy budge for solitaire setting so this way you know you will get exactly what she loves.

We've discussed it and she doesn't want to give much input. She wants to be surprised and feels that I know her well enough to make the decision. To each their own but I agree with her. I feel that this process should be about the meaning behind the ring, that the ring should represent the time that I put into it. To show that I truly understand her style, what she wants, and that I've also put my original thought into it. That meaning behind the ring to me is as important, if not more so, than the ring itself. I think visiting a jeweler and buying exactly what she's has told you she wants takes some of the romance and excitement out of it and makes it more of a transaction and not a journey.

JulieKae

Rough_Rock
I adore the post of the ring with the petal style head, it's simple, elegant, but different. (posted by telephone89)
Personally most of the ones you listed sit way to high for me, I would bang it and break a prong in under a week, just doing laundry.
I think it's a great idea for her to try some styles on to see what she likes, it may end up being different than what she was initially thinking after seeing some on her hand.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Custom is always nice because you can build the ring around the stone. But you need to have a clear idea of what you want and trust the bench in charge of realizing your vision. And depending who you use and what you want, your budget might not accommodate the vision.

If you plan to buy a stock setting then I recommend you have the diamond in hand, first. Regardless of what you have been told about the stone, I would suggest having the diamond appraised, then insured. This needs to be done before it is reset--your protection.

Moving forward, the setting must be one that can accommodate the size of the diamond--and you will know this from the appraisal information. And again, you need to find a jeweller who will set your (own) stone for you--some jewellers have particular policies and it is good to be familiar those policies.

cheers--Sharon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
askingsoon|1418411866|3800168 said:
part gypsy|1418317443|3799491 said:

We've discussed it and she doesn't want to give much input. She wants to be surprised and feels that I know her well enough to make the decision. To each their own but I agree with her. I feel that this process should be about the meaning behind the ring, that the ring should represent the time that I put into it. To show that I truly understand her style, what she wants, and that I've also put my original thought into it. That meaning behind the ring to me is as important, if not more so, than the ring itself. I think visiting a jeweler and buying exactly what she's has told you she wants takes some of the romance and excitement out of it and makes it more of a transaction and not a journey.

If I had a dollar for every time a woman was less than thrilled with the ring her FF just knew she'd love , I'd be able to afford that 4 ct round I've always wanted. :lol: :lol: ...but seriously, this is a ring she'll wear every day for the rest of her life -- is looking together and getting her a ring that made her heart sing really gonna take the excitement out of it?? No. Her eyes will light up just like they did when she saw it for the first time.

The real journey is your life together... why not start by giving her a ring you know she'll love (and not just bc you think she will because of the "meaning of it")?? Many an ugly ring has been worn because the girl had to pretend to like it to avoid hurting a guy's feelings or whatever. ::) I'm not saying you guys have to go and pick out one ring, and you have to buy that exact one -- just have her tell/show you several design elements she likes (or doesn't like) in solitaire, then go from there? She still won't know what she's getting, and it shows you ultimately want to make her happy.

She wants a solitaire, and it would be a stretch to really screw that one up -- lucky you, right??!! ;)) Lots of guys aren't that lucky, and their "journey" usually ends in a change/upgrade sooner than later. That's a lot of money to waste unnecessarily, KWIM? : :|

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results