shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom Ring Turned Pendant...HELP?!?!

Should I make a pendant by using the unique setting or create a new pendant with the original gold?

• Use the unique setting to create the pendant

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Make a new pendant with the original gold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ash-Lee M

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am completely new to this and have never posted before so if i put this in the wrong category, bear with me please. My grandma, Bonnie, passed away about 9 months ago and we just finished going through her jewelry collection. I kept a heirloom aventurine ring, circa late 1910's to early 1920's. It belonged to my great grandmother and was passed down to my grandma upon her death. Sadly my ring size is a whopping 9 1/2-10 while this beautiful ring is a mere 4 1/2. Because of its intricate setting, which is 14K white gold, the jeweler we went to said it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to size it up that much. But this heirloom piece is really important to me and I would like to be able to wear it somehow. I have been doing some research about turning heirloom rings into pendants or new rings. I think i would prefer a pendant because I already wear my grandmother's wedding band, 14K gold with four small emeralds. I was hoping to keep the setting because its design is beautiful, with small intricate flowers, and perhaps just bend it out, smooth the edges, and add a pendant loop. I am a complete amateur and jewelry is definitely NOT my forte`. Does anybody think this is possible to do? At the very least I would like to use the original gold and gemstone and create an entirely new pendant. I want to keep it purely the original ring components. It is such an antique and historical piece that i feel by using solely the rings own metal, I gain a beautiful sentimental pendant, without changing or compromising the historical, emotional, and family significance. I don't want to add any new metal, because that wouldn't be the same ring my grandmother and great grandmother wore as they went through heartbreak, endured the pressures of society after the Great Depression, and experienced the waves of life. I am a very sentimental person, especially when it comes to my grandmother. She was my best friend, and the most important and amazing person I have ever had the honor to know. But maybe I am overthinking this all. What do you think? Do you guys have any ideas about preserving the significance of this ring while creating something I'd actually wear daily?

Also, do any professionals have a general estimate for how much this is going to cost? I know prices will vary but is there a ball park figure? I expect it to be pretty expensive, couple hundred dollars at least, especially because its a custom piece. I am only 15 and while i have around 800 in savings, my parents wouldn't allow me to spend more than half of that on a piece of jewelry, no matter how sentimental. But I also don't want to settle for a cheaper pendant and get cheaper quality on such an important ring. Any thoughts??

Sorry for talking so much. My parents aren't super keen on this idea and have final say, so I want to have as much information on this before I pitch it to them. Gosh, I sound like an insurance salesman! Any feedback, opinions, and suggestions are gladly and eagerly welcome. I need as much help as I can get. Thanks for taking the time to even read all of this mumbojumbo. Okay, I'm shutting up now. Bye.

~ Ash-Lee :confused:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Why not use a ring holder necklace and wear it as a pendant as is? That would be most cost effective. There are many types and styles on etsy that might make a good fit.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think unless it is super fragile that you could eadily have the shank of thebring removed and a bail added so you can wear it as a pendant. You xan get quotes from jewelry repair places, they should be able to give you some credit for the gold on the shank to offset the cost. Getting a ring holder necklace for now is a good idea too, i think those are around 50 and you can decide later if you want to convert it. Whatever you choose, very lovely of you to honor your grandma in this way :kiss2:

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Can you share a picture?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's so lovelly Ash-Lee that you have something so precious that was your great grandma's and then your Grandma's
i think a pendant would be lovelly and also a really safe option for keeping Bonnie's memory safe near your heart
i love your idea of repurposing the ring into something you can enjoy and wear
if mum and dad arn't too keen on it, like all things mum and dad, just calmly bide your time
as for any left over gold ...id hang on to it.
you have a long life ahead of you and you never know what it might come in handy for adding sentimentality to a future project :twisted2:

and your grandma's wedding band sounds wounderful
how lovelly you wear it and have your grand parent's love with you every day
(i wear my great grandma's wedding ring

good luck

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My idea would be to put a gold plaque into the centre of the ring and have it engraved with something meaningful to you and the family.
Something like “Bonnie, always with me”. If there are any spare gems from other jewellery, they could be set into the gold plaque section as well. Then to have a loop soldered to the outside edge and wear it as a pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results