shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts & Arrows viewer on Princess??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BlueSky3

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Can you view Princess Cut diamond using Hearts & Arrows viewer?
Can you rate the diamond with that?
20.gif

stitch

Shiny_Rock
I tried to view a princess cut using H&A scope at a local store, but couldn''t see anything. I think H&A viewer is used for RB only

BlueSky3

Rough_Rock
Is it possible to use Hearts & Arrows viewer on Princess Cut to determine the Cut quality? Like Ideal Scope?

stitch

Shiny_Rock
To me, I don''t think we can use H&A viewer to help determine Princess cut. Princess cut falls into fancy cut. You will need ASET scope for it

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
You can use a H&A viewer to see and rate aspects of cutting symmetry on an Princess, but it just doesn't look anything like H&A--it gives a nice shot of the chevrons, though. Infinity diamonds have pictures using this on their website. Go to either www.craftedbyinfinity.com or www.highperformancediamonds.com, search for a princess and take a look.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
H&A scope can be used on princess cut to assess the optical symm of the stone but it will not show anything about the performance of the princess.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2009 5:27:37 PM
Author: jet2ks
You can use a H&A viewer to see and rate aspects of cutting symmetry on an Princess, but it just doesn''t look anything like H&A--it gives a nice shot of the chevrons, though. Infinity diamonds have pictures using this on their website. Go to either www.craftedbyinfinity.com or www.highperformancediamonds.com, search for a princess and take a look.
Ditto.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A H&A-viewer is a standardized viewing environment, that makes it easier to judge the symmetry of a diamond. Since symmetry is a confusing term, I prefer to use the word ''precision'', since I also feel that the crispness of the patterns viewable in the viewer is an important indicator of the potential scintillation of the stone.

In a round stone, the viewer will show the well-known H&A-pattern. Because of the different facet-configuration of a princess, the pattern will be different. This makes it more difficult to judge. However, with a princess-cut being potentially much more asymmetrical than a round, I feel that the information offered by the standardized environment of the H&A-viewer is interesting.

Unfortunately, princess-cuts are very tricky beasts to photograph. This is true for H&A, Idealscope and ASET, and the possibility of comparing the various pics also increases the information-level.

Live long,

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A picture is worth a thousand words... Here are four images of the same Crafted by Infinity ideal princess cut diamond as seen through a Hearts & Arrows viewer; an Ideal Scope; and an ASET scope. Clearly each scope provides a different perspective of the precision that the diamond possesses. While the Gems Fantasy Scope was originally developed to enable people to view the H&A patterns found within certain round brilliant cut diamonds, it is definitely useful for judging the symmetry within princess cut diamonds of this caliber (but it will kill a princess cut diamond which has not been cut well)

princess-scope-comparison.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, that top right shot resembles my avatar...

BlueSky3

Rough_Rock
What is the difference in GIA''s Excellent Symmetry vs. H&A viewed Symmetry?

My GIA Excellent Symmetry doesn''t show the H&A Patterns

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2009 4:04:35 PM
Author: BlueSky3

What is the difference in GIA's Excellent Symmetry vs. H&A viewed Symmetry?

My GIA Excellent Symmetry doesn't show the H&A Patterns
GIA grade physical symmetry, how well centred the diamond's table is, the culet etc. Optical symmetry is a totally different thing, this refers to the symmetry and patterning of the internal reflections of the stone due to top cutting precision which results in a crisp hearts and arrows pattern. So although a diamond might have excellent physical lab graded symmetry it doesn't necessarily follow it will have superior optical symmetry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results