shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts and Arrows, Hearts on Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eringsearcher

Rough_Rock
HI -- I have read a lot about Hearts and Arrows, Hearts on Fire, and AGS0 and it seems that they are the cream of the crop when it comes to cut. My question is: Is the amount of sparkle signifcantly decreased if you were to go from a super ideal cut, to a good/excellent cut?

I guess I am trying to guage if they are branded diamonds that cost more, but in reality there are others out there that will perform almost as well.

I hope this makes sense. I told my BF that sparkle was top priority for me, and so that would mean that cut was most important, but with a limited budget I am trying to figure out what would be ideal, and what woudl be the lowest possible that I am still content with...

Thank you in advance for any clarification.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 2:11:35 PM
Author:eringsearcher
HI -- I have read a lot about Hearts and Arrows, Hearts on Fire, and AGS0 and it seems that they are the cream of the crop when it comes to cut. My question is: Is the amount of sparkle signifcantly decreased if you were to go from a super ideal cut, to a good/excellent cut?

I guess I am trying to guage if they are branded diamonds that cost more, but in reality there are others out there that will perform almost as well.

I hope this makes sense. I told my BF that sparkle was top priority for me, and so that would mean that cut was most important, but with a limited budget I am trying to figure out what would be ideal, and what woudl be the lowest possible that I am still content with...

Thank you in advance for any clarification.
My non-professional, but well-researched clarification is as follows:

The light performance (sparkle/beauty) of a diamond depends hugely on its cut, i.e., its proportions, all the usual suspects - crown angle, pavillion angle, depth, table percent, culet and girdle.

Hearts and Arrows actually isn''t a proportion, but rather is an indicator of the symmetry of a stone. Stones can have ideal proportions, not display any H&A pattern, and still sparkle and perform beautifully. The reason H&A diamonds demand a premium is 2-fold: (1) there is a mental thing about having a diamond that is cut very symmetrically, just the way there is a mental thing for some people having a D color stone or a FL/IF level clairty, even though it doesn''t really affect the performance of the stone; and (2) in order to cut a stone with an H&A pattern, it takes a great deal of the cutter''s attention and precision. A cutter who''s being so careful to get the symmetry spot-on is sure to cut the stone to ideal proportions, as well. Thus, in a sense, H&A pattern is a predictor of an ideal cut, and one step further, of a great performing diamond.

Its cool to have to some (most?), but not a necessity in finding a beautiful and well-performing diamond, and you do pay a premium for H&A.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
My suggestion is to go look at some superideals and see the difference for yourself. Personally, I went to a local jeweler that has Eightstar diamonds and could REALLY see a difference between that and a regular diamond. But could a see a difference between the Eightstar and any other AGS-0 diamond? probably not. How much of a difference is the between a very good cut diamond and excellant cut? not sure. But if you want to know go take a look for yourself.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2007 2:18:08 PM
Author: ILikeBond

A cutter who''s being so careful to get the symmetry spot-on is sure to cut the stone to ideal proportions, as well. Thus, in a sense, H&A pattern is a predictor of an ideal cut, and one step further, of a great performing diamond.
Actually, I beg to differ on this point. Not all H&A diamonds are cut to ideal proportions, and not all H&A diamonds have optimum light return.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 2:57:49 PM
Author: Kim N

Date: 2/1/2007 2:18:08 PM
Author: ILikeBond

A cutter who's being so careful to get the symmetry spot-on is sure to cut the stone to ideal proportions, as well. Thus, in a sense, H&A pattern is a predictor of an ideal cut, and one step further, of a great performing diamond.
Actually, I beg to differ on this point. Not all H&A diamonds are cut to ideal proportions, and not all H&A diamonds have optimum light return.
Yes, that's true. Thank you for the clarification. But most H&A diamonds are also well-cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results