Heart shape choice help

Waxwing

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope,

I'm choosing a small heart shape diamond and ended up choosing between these:

1. https://www.bluenile.com/lt/diamond-details/LD19105539
2. https://www.bluenile.com/lt/diamond-details/LD17758995
3.https://www.bluenile.com/lt/diamond-details/LD17758735
4. https://www.bluenile.com/lt/diamond-details/LD17541559 (think inclusion is a no-go here)

My main concerns are light performance and shape visibility. Can go lower ct if it'll make sense.

Blue Nile because best delivery terms. Have few at Adiamor too but wanted to hear views from experienced people.

Cheers

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was hoping to see what others would suggest to you, but you are not getting any traction. Heart shapes are highly personal in terms of their exact outline. There is no true standard for their exact shaping. YOU have to prefer the one you end up buying from those others you found in your shopping process. Every one of those you listed have varying attributes. They all look great in the photos.

Maybe someone will tell you which one they prefer and why. This is the kind of question that can be as difficult for those answering as for you buying. Most any other shape is easier. Hearts are tough to choose when the choices are all attractive.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond forms under high temperature and pressure conditions that exist only about 100 miles beneath the earth’s surface.

What does your response mean to choosing a heart shape diamond? Diamond can form in a lab under quite a different set of conditions.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello!
I looked at all 4 of the stones you linked and I think they all have a nice shape to them. I can't comment on the light performance as I don't know much about that but just as an amateur observer they all have a nice shape.:D

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Hi!!
How are you planning to set it?
In general my overall favorite is #2 because I prefer chubby hearts to the tall/narrower hearts. I can’t speak to the light performance but might stick to the higher clarity and cut grades to be safe. Can you see them in person?

Waxwing

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the replies! The setting will be standard platinum solitaire.

My main goal was to make sure I'm not going somewhere completely off so we are good. Will book a virtual appointment at BN to see them in person.

I also like them a bit chubby, however, the stone is small so I didn't want to risk shape definition. Maybe someone has experienced with 0.5ct-1ct sized hearts? Should I care about it so much?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert on heart shapes, but I prefer 2 and 3 to 1 and 4 because I dont like how "tall" 1 and 4 look. Of course that's just personal preference!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I like chubby, too.

Prefer 3. It is chubbier than 1 and 4 and seems to be better cut than 2.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Waxwing i don't comment much these days, but i wanted to jump in since i have a heart shaped diamond solitaire.
I looked for hearts for a very long time (online & in person) so i can tell you some things to look out for of course based on personal taste.

I like a well balanced heart so i prefer the length & width measurements to be pretty close to one another.
The cleft (v) at the top needs to be cut deeper rather than shallower, otherwise it will look more like a pear
Where the facets are matter- i saw an IF stone that had a facet right across the top & it looked almost like a crack
Look at the stone from the top but also the sides to make sure you like the color & clarity.
Personally, i didn't have luck buying online, but others do.
Give yourself plenty of time to search, heart shapes are not easy.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Appreciate the replies! The setting will be standard platinum solitaire.

My main goal was to make sure I'm not going somewhere completely off so we are good. Will book a virtual appointment at BN to see them in person.

I also like them a bit chubby, however, the stone is small so I didn't want to risk shape definition. Maybe someone has experienced with 0.5ct-1ct sized hearts? Should I care about it so much?

I have a couple smaller hearts, one pendant right about the size you’re looking at. I do prefer the chubbier shapes with well defined clefts so it doesn’t look like a triangle or pear. Mine is an I color since it is a necklace & I don’t see the color in it since I can only view at a distance/in the mirror.

Then I have this smaller one that is a lower color with a light brown modifier, at .38ct it is quite a bit smaller but the heart shape is easy to see with it being bezel set.

My taste in heart shapes is pretty consistent!
The shape draws my eye first, then I look at the facet pattern and how it lights up as the video plays. I like lots of contrasting facets winking on & off. I’ve gotten lucky that I’ve loved each of the hearts I’ve picked out online, but I’ve been able to see them in person before committing to the purchase. So figuring out what looks best to you is your best bet moving forward.

(I do also have a larger heart shape that is discussed in the lab grown section. It is very similar to these in terms of shape & length by width ratios.)

Waxwing

Rough_Rock
Immense help, thanks all for the input! Seems my shape concerns were slightly overblown - if the shape is good, it will be visible.

As for the actual choice, time turned against me so I had to take the fastest delivery.

Adiamor had solid choices like these: 0.60 Carat D VS1 Heart Natural Diamond GIA Certified 7426745668 Excellent Cut - D50412244 (adiamor.com). They screwed me on delivery though so had to cancel (added 5 days extra wait vs what was stated on the website)

So in the end my choice was this:
https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD17435363?offerId=23185 - at glance:
  1. Similar stone as #3 from the above but lower carat.
  2. Cut seems not good enough.
  3. Lastly, GIA cert from 2015?? BN said they got it from a vendor in 2021 and they inspected the stone themselves. Feeling like getting screwed up but let's see. 3 BN consultants were ensuring me it was a good choice.
Still curious if my thoughts coincide with others.

Tried to do things right but eventually testing my luck :mrgreen2:
Still hope this helps someone in the future!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I think it's the perfect shape! Congrats!!! GREAT CHOICE! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results