shape
carat
color
clarity

Healing Gemstones

Chloe HOSKING

Rough_Rock
Gemstones aren't just pretty to look at; they also have the power to heal. Brings stability, strength, balance, courage, eloquence and a clear mind. What do you think about that? Share your point of view about that.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, silver can be antiseptic. And gold can be antinflammatory (if you eat gold salts -- not recommending this but it was used for rheumatoid arthritis for many years). Scalpels were made from obsidian. The rest is just fantasy and wishful thinking, though -- sorry.

They are fun to look at and that can bring peace of mind which, in turn, can lower blood pressure and heart rate. So can a magazine, though.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gemstones make me happy when I look at them. I have always loved gems and minerals. Learning about them and collecting them is a harmless, positive, fun hobby of mine. When I think of a hobby that has actual health benefits, it’s my running hobby. It keeps me fit, releases endorphins, etc. I don’t think crystals can actually heal me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemstones aren't just pretty to look at; they also have the power to heal. Brings stability, strength, balance, courage, eloquence and a clear mind. What do you think about that? Share your point of view about that.

The first person to prove this claim with evidence will win a Nobel Prize.

I only believe things based on sufficient evidence.

BTW, over a billion people believe a virgin had a baby. :roll:

People have always liked to believe cool ideas that make them feel good.
... doesn't make it true.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@kenny - We all know how you feel about religion but must you insert this dialog repeatedly?

If someone wants to believe that a gemstone has metasphysical properties I am not going to rain on their parade. Do I believe it - no, but I do believe in the placebo effect. And besides it's a nice excuse to wear pretty jewellery. I agree with @chatoyancy, they certainly release endorphins when I look at them.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium

People like to believe things that make them feel good. Isn't that at least part of the O.P.'s point, that gemstones make people feel good? So in this case, believing it, and the placebo effect, accomplish what the O.P. claimed. So you're wrong. Like, expand your mind, bro.

I doubt O.P. will win a Nobel Prize as a result of the FACT that gemstones give her a sense of balance and strength (although I am inclined to believe that the mechanism necessarily involves a certain belief).

Last edited:

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do believe that appreciating beauty can improve one's soul/mind. Listening to beautiful music or reading a poignant poem does move me, and I think improve my sensitivity. I don't think this heals me in any medical sense, but it might uplift my character, and that in turn could have an impact on my physical constitution, in the same way music therapy might help an alzheimer's patient, or talk therapy might improve my brain chemistry.

So, I certainly do think non-physical things (like beauty, beliefs, mind) can have an impact on my consciousness and character, and in turn, on my physical constitution.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually there are things scientists know for example, different things including rocks, minerals and crystals all vibrate/oscillate and emit specific vibratory frequencies, and as humans so do we. Crystal healers believe that these crystals, rocks and so on, if you select ones with specific frequencies can someone heal or benefit some people. It has never been proven or disproven by science if there is a placebo effect from doing so or if the rocks are actually helping people.

Historically there is evidence many different cultures believe the same thing, and they have artefacts that demonstrate that different cultures wore different rocks, crystals and gemstones, crushed and ate different rocks, crystals and gemstones and worshiped various rocks, crystals and gemstones.

So I guess the question should be did they know something that we didn't. As to me personally, I believe some really sensitive people can actually feel the energy in certain things. We know only recently that living next to huge power lines or a power substation can make us sick and exposure to that can cause some people cancer, that's science not guesswork. So all that says to me, from a rational perspective is that possibly there are still scientific things about rocks, crystals, gemstones, and things like pieces of rock that fall from space that we don't fully know or understand.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turning brains off is dangerous.

Kids die when parents refuse them medical care because they believe god will heal them.
Doesn't that kinda 'rained on the parades' of the dead kids?
Of course, then parents will say it was 'god's will', 'god works in mysterious ways, 'god needed another angel'.
But as usual, I'm the jerk for pointing this out.

What's next? Kids dying because 'healing' stones didn't work? :roll:

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turning brains off is dangerous.

Kids die when parents refuse them medical care because they believe god will heal them.

What's next? Kids dying because 'healing' stones didn't work? :roll:

Would people actually do that? I'd guess that if I gave some kid flighting cancer in the hospital a range of pretty rocks to pick from out of a tray of say 30 and they picked something they liked and I told that child when things got tough hang on to the crystal and think positive thoughts then all that is, is something to distract that child from pain and suffering, and perhaps give some positive energy (real or imagined) and in the that context, there should be no harm done. Most of the crystal healers I know, the good ones, use rocks in conjunction with medicine and science not instead of it. Most of the good geologists and scientists that study rocks minerals and crystals similarly admit there are still things about them we don't fully know and understand. So as far as I can see it works both ways.

A few decades ago ago putting violent criminals in rooms with all pink walls would have been considered weird. Yet scientists have now proven the colour pink has a calming effect on most people including violent criminals and hyperactive children. Colour has an impact on our brain chemistry. So what is to say that rocks, crystals and minerals don't as well.

Many Asian cultures and healers believe in Chi or life force running through and working in harmony with each other, achieving wellness is about achieving balance or harmony in our lives. I'm not sure the Western scientific world fully understands that in full yet.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would people actually do that? ...

I never imagined people would actually fly commercial jets into skyscrapers for a belief for which there is insufficient evidence.

Turning brains off is a seductive & feel-good slippery slope, a highly addictive drug ... and dangerous to others.

Last edited:

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We know only recently that living next to huge power lines or a power substation can make us sick and exposure to that can cause some people cancer, that's science not guesswork. So all that says to me, from a rational perspective is that possibly there are still scientific things about rocks, crystals, gemstones, and things like pieces of rock that fall from space that we don't fully know or understand.

Are you really comparing the exposure to enormous amounts of electro-magnetic fields to the trace amounts of any measurable discrepancy found in a mineral a rational comparison?

I'm not a scientist, so I'm not going to make statements one way or another. Neither should you.

Someone close this garbage thread. There are plenty of pseudo-science forums out there to discuss this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Someone close this garbage thread. There are plenty of pseudo-science forums out there to discuss this.

Careful. Follow the money.
Sales of stones are at stake (including the so-called "magical healing" ones) and PS is funded by vendors who sell stones.

Unfortunately, zillions of people in the past and present don't care what's true.
To them, made up stuff is the same as proven stuff. Equality, and respect diversity, ya know. :nono:

... and they get to vote for those who form public policy and law. :doh::doh::doh:

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many Asian cultures and healers believe in Chi or life force running through and working in harmony with each other, achieving wellness is about achieving balance or harmony in our lives. I'm not sure the Western scientific world fully understands that in full yet.
I am a strong believer in acupuncture and herbs. I have had excellent results with acupuncture! Western medicine is more about fixing than preventing. I don't know how much healing a crystal does, but the original Americans knew what they were doing with plants, so it wouldn't surprise me that they knew a thing or two about minerals.

I also believe that this earth originally provided us with everything we needed, including the plants to heal, i.e. digitalis, chamomile, ginger, etc., so why not crystals/minerals?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks we believe that people should have whatever discussions they want on here, with a few rules. One of those rules is no religion bashing. Please keep it friendly or this thread will be closed.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, rational-thinking bashing is okay?

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Turning brains off is a seductive & feel-good slippery slope, a highly addictive drug ... and dangerous to others.

I couldn't agree with this more. Harvard Psychologist Jonathan Haidt in his book The Righteous Mind references experiments that show there is a rush of relief when views we already have are reaffirmed. Essentially, close-mindedness feels good.

And I agree Dogmatism--of all kinds--can be virulent. It allows you dismiss other's views or worth, and won't allow you to take in new evidence to get to the truth. This is true of religious dogmatism, atheist and anti-religious dogmatism, political dogmatism, social darwinism...the list goes on and on.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
So, rational-thinking bashing is okay?

Kenny, come on. You know the rules and bashing on any person or group of people isn’t ok.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure if the physical properties of colored gemstones heal a person in the traditional sense. But I love how they can improve my mood and therefore my energy level.

Edited to add- Welcome to PS Chloe. :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you really comparing the exposure to enormous amounts of electro-magnetic fields to the trace amounts of any measurable discrepancy found in a mineral a rational comparison?

I'm not a scientist, so I'm not going to make statements one way or another. Neither should you.

Someone close this garbage thread. There are plenty of pseudo-science forums out there to discuss this.

As opposed to what? A multi billion dollar industry that makes and sells vitamins to people that mostly do nothing? All I was doing is describing what some people ie crystal healers believe. And as in my cancer example if people use rocks, crystals and gemstones as "things" "objects" or whatever to help centre their energy or help make them feel better placebo or not, then I say what does it matter. I personally would NEVER advocate using rocks or crystal healing instead of modern medicine. Therefore, it's not hurting you or me. And if the answer to that is selling rocks, minerals and crystals for healing or otherwise is consumerism then we belong to a forum that talks about and mainly finds diamond for people. I can't think of a more stellar example where the industry (the diamond industry) is heavily controlled purely for profit making.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Careful. Follow the money.
Sales of stones are at stake (including the so-called "magical healing" ones) and PS is funded by vendors who sell stones.

Unfortunately, zillions of people in the past and present don't care what's true.
To them, made up stuff is the same as proven stuff. Equality, and respect diversity, ya know. :nono:

... and they get to vote for those who form public policy and law. :doh::doh::doh:

Yes indeed, we belong to a forum of one of the most tightly controlled money making Industries out there, the Diamond Industry. So I personally take no offence at quackery or otherwise of someone buying say a $5.00 crystal to heal themselves as opposed to a $10 000 or $20 000+ custom cut white diamond or a rare pink diamond. I don't feel the need to judge either. I have a couple of tiny pink Argyle diamonds that my father in law had from before the Argyle mines were worth anything, years and years ago they couldn't give cognac, pink and brown diamonds away now they are sort after, collectable and scarce, all due to billions of dollars of marketing.

And don't get my started on the bridal industry and the amount of money some young people feel they have to spend on certain things. Most of the "magical healing ones" that people that crystal heal use are things like Quartz crystals and so on, things that are are usually not a lot of money so I don't know if it's a fair comparison.

I remember acupuncture used to be quackery too and then the scientific world suddenly discovered that it has a real basis - scientists can prove actually helps people. The same with a lot of "alternative" therapies, probably a large number of them are quackery but there are some that do become more mainstream, ie scientists investigate and eventually prove there is some quantifiable basis that actually demonstrates helping people. Meditation is another great example, once thought to be only for the weirdos now suddenly scientists can prove that people who meditate each day or x amount of days a week are calmer, problem solve better after doing so and deal with stressful events better and so on.

Take my pink room example. Who would have ever assumed years ago that scientists could prove rooms with pink walls actually do calm people and change brain chemistry. All I'm arguing here is if the pink walls can alter people's minds, do we really categorically know what rocks, minerals and gemstones can and can't do?

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually there are things scientists know for example, different things including rocks, minerals and crystals all vibrate/oscillate and emit specific vibratory frequencies, and as humans so do we. Crystal healers believe that these crystals, rocks and so on, if you select ones with specific frequencies can someone heal or benefit some people. It has never been proven or disproven by science if there is a placebo effect from doing so or if the rocks are actually helping people.

Historically there is evidence many different cultures believe the same thing, and they have artefacts that demonstrate that different cultures wore different rocks, crystals and gemstones, crushed and ate different rocks, crystals and gemstones and worshiped various rocks, crystals and gemstones.

So I guess the question should be did they know something that we didn't. As to me personally, I believe some really sensitive people can actually feel the energy in certain things. We know only recently that living next to huge power lines or a power substation can make us sick and exposure to that can cause some people cancer, that's science not guesswork. So all that says to me, from a rational perspective is that possibly there are still scientific things about rocks, crystals, gemstones, and things like pieces of rock that fall from space that we don't fully know or understand.

A lot of things emit radiation -- bananas and humans are both radioactive, there is a nice comic about it here

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

I don't know about health benefits, I would remain ambivalent about this. But it is true that a lot of things are indeed radioactive.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lot of things emit radiation -- bananas and humans are both radioactive, there is a nice comic about it here

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

I don't know about health benefits, I would remain ambivalent about this. But it is true that a lot of things are indeed radioactive.
This chart was fascinating and eye-opening! Thanks for sharing.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Personally I thought this was a mineral based forum. For the record...I love JESUS the CHRIST and our Heavenly FATHER !!! I do not bash or insinuate that those that believe; do or do not have the upper hand in intelligence. I have friends of all or no religions and we respect each other for their faith or lack of. Why bring any of this into the subject of colored gems ???

I surely thought this forum was not one that would tolerate the belittling of one for their faith, lack of, or political directions. Sad !

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG
Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hesitant to write because I fear that I will get blasted by those that disagree, and I’m not up for an argument. I don’t think any of us are going to change eachothers’ opinions. I’m happy to offer my perspective on the subject though. :)

I believe in energetics of gemstones. There are a great number of things which cannot be currently explained. To rely solely on current level scientific understanding and explanation as a foundation for ‘truth’ gives way to the kind of Hubris which has brought us into trouble in our current time. Its mental masturbation to suppose that we should know everything, whereas the humility of contemplation is clearly demonstrated to be a necessary part for human existance. This does not mean that I am superstitious or naive. As a side note, I’m married to a scientist, an experimental Physicist and he believes in those energetics as well. I think life would be very boring without a little magic, even if that involves a splash of ‘magical thinking’ at times, Which is healthy and balancing for mind the soul. This way, we can better engage in existance with wonder and gratitude for the much greater mystery that surrounds us. We know that engaging with ‘ knowing it all’ overwhelmingly leads to unhappiness and alienation.

Consider....everyone has favorite stones. Imagine that one were forced to buy the stone that was their least favorite. This would likely be very disruptive to the psyche. Do we attribute this to some inherent property to the stone, or the interaction between the individual and the stone, or to something else? We may not know, but that does not diminish its importance, since it’s obviously very important.
Just my 2 cents.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz - You won't get any bashing from me. I may not necessarily believe gemstones will heal but they certainly don't hurt (unless you eat them or put them in a drink). I have a good friend who believes greatly in the powers of gemstones. She was going through a particularly difficult time which led to some confidence issues so I bought her a woven labradorite necklace. She says she feels the energy from it. All I know is I brought her joy by gifting it to her and she feels more grounded and confident when wearing it.

When I was going through a rough patch with migraines I bought myself a beautiful amethyst pendant to wear. Amethyst is the gemstone used for headache. I was at my last straw as I had tried medication, physiotherapy, acupuncture, etc.... You get the picture so I was willing to try anything. Did it help the pain - no, but I found it comforting wearing it as I found when I was stressed from the pain I would rub the smooth surface of the cabochon pendant. It basically distracted me from the pain.

By the way, without getting into detail my husband who is in a science based industry would definitely listen to me if I had a strong feeling - as he put it, if I told him not to fly on a certain flight, he wouldn't. There are certain people here who will pooh-pooh that, but I know what I know and can't explain it.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I thought this was a mineral based forum. For the record...I love JESUS the CHRIST and our Heavenly FATHER !!! I do not bash or insinuate that those that believe; do or do not have the upper hand in intelligence. I have friends of all or no religions and we respect each other for their faith or lack of. Why bring any of this into the subject of colored gems ???

I surely thought this forum was not one that would tolerate the belittling of one for their faith, lack of, or political directions. Sad !

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG
Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42
Making offensive comments about one’s religious beliefs is against the rules of the forum. Some of the comments were disrespectful and offensive. One of my favorite pieces of jewelry is my diamond cross necklace my mom gave to me in memory of my sweet cat who passed away last year.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results