shape
carat
color
clarity

Head for cushion cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
What is the best type of head for setting a 1 carat cushion in? I''ve had it set in two different traditional 4 prong heads. With the first setting, a prong broke and the jeweler said that the prong was stretched to fit and weakened it. The second head was more substantial and the stone loosened twice within a few days of having it set. They now have set it in a tulip head and I''m not sure I like the look. They said that cushions are difficult to set because of the shape. This is a beautiful stone and is very well proportioned and I just think the quality of craftsmanship is lacking.

Thanks for your input.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 11:28:39 AM
Author:alpha238
What is the best type of head for setting a 1 carat cushion in? I''ve had it set in two different traditional 4 prong heads. With the first setting, a prong broke and the jeweler said that the prong was stretched to fit and weakened it. The second head was more substantial and the stone loosened twice within a few days of having it set. They now have set it in a tulip head and I''m not sure I like the look. They said that cushions are difficult to set because of the shape. This is a beautiful stone and is very well proportioned and I just think the quality of craftsmanship is lacking.

Thanks for your input.
Very likely not a skilled benchperson go elsewhere. I prefer claw prongs that stretch over and on top of the corners of the stone but that is more for visual rather than durability reasons.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi alpha, sorry to hear of your troubles....

I would find another jeweller personally, this should not be happening. The setting should be quite adequate to hold your diamond securely, it sounds to me as if it could be the setter at fault.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto above. Sounds like either an inexperience benchman who never worked with a cushion before or the setting is not designed for the dimensions of the stone, in which case the benchman should have get a setting that allows for the dimensions, warn you instead of just setting the stone.

alpha238

Shiny_Rock
I bought the diamond and setting about 6 months ago, so I don''t think I can return the setting, which I love. I agree, it is probably the skills of the bench person. Should I request they use a different bench person with better setting abilities and have them set it in a head different than the tulip one? At one point they had suggested a split prong. But I thought it might cover too much of the diamond. I think the tulip covers more of the diamond. The claw prongs might not be a bad idea.

Any other suggestions?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2010 12:36:51 PM
Author: alpha238
I bought the diamond and setting about 6 months ago, so I don''t think I can return the setting, which I love. I agree, it is probably the skills of the bench person. Should I request they use a different bench person with better setting abilities and have them set it in a head different than the tulip one? At one point they had suggested a split prong. But I thought it might cover too much of the diamond. I think the tulip covers more of the diamond. The claw prongs might not be a bad idea.

Any other suggestions?
I have double split prongs on my round and I love the look, I don''t feel they cover too much of the stone if well executed, try to take a look at some in person to get a better idea.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto the others' sage advice. An experienced benchman can create a custom setting that will securely hold your cushion. Stock settings don't always fit all stones - especially "in between" carat weights, so they have to order up or down a size, and try to work that around your stone.

I also seem to recall one of our trusted appraisers posting that split prongs are a more secure way to hold cushions but I can't find the thread. I have a custom solitaire with a 1 carat cushion set with split claw prongs and I don't think they cover too much of the stone. Also, my stone hasn't budged in the 2+ years that I've had it and that's with daily wear.

If you need suggestions for vendors who have an excellent reputation for their custom settings, we'd be happy to assist. You can also post links or pictures of settings that you like which will help to determine which vendor to recommend. I personally, would not go back to the person who originally set your stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results