shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tater23

Rough_Rock
Ive been using HCA to sift through stones in my budget. I have kinda stuck to one company (danforth), mainly because of their settings are affordable, and they seem to have good ratings. I have a 1/2 ct stone that has a HCA rating of 0.6. The only knock I can find with this stone is that the polish and symm are VG instead of EX. But the cut is Ideal . Here are the specs.

5.17mm x 5.20mm x 3.11mm, .50 ct. D VS2 ( I didnt look for this color or clarity, just best HCA)

33 deg crown angle

40.8 degree pav angle

60% depth

56% table

Im not sure if this company gives Idealscope or AESET images. But what are the opinions on just blindly buying this stone based on paper stats ?? Thanks.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
could be fine, could show a bit of obstruction - IS would tell if you can get one. may be geared more toward brilliance.

Just to clarify - under 2 on the HCA is good... under 3 can be good too, so if you find one you like don''t toss it out because it scores 2.5. closer to 0 is not better than 1.9.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks promising, Ex/VG grade difference should not be noticeable to the naked eye. What is the lower half number?

tater23

Rough_Rock
Define "lower half" to a newbie.....

tater23

Rough_Rock
good video, on the report, crown height 14.5%, pav depth is 43%, star length 50%, lower half 80%.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very safe number, should be fine buying blind. No harm asking if they can get you an IS image. :razz:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have been looking for the "best" HCA by searching for the lowest score then you have probably eliminated many good contenders. Anything under 2 is worth consideration, it is a dichotomous rejection tool.

What lab graded the diamond you are considering, and what is the cut grade?

tater23

Rough_Rock
Im coming to the realization that my elimination of diamonds based on HCA was elementary. I started with over 1000 diamonds and limited it to 500. Then on those 500, I ran HCA and I have a list of 30. One thing about being on a budget, and searching for a diamond about .50 ct is that there are a gazillion of them out there. The lab is GIA and the cut grade is Excellent. This diamond is a bit Pricey. ($1400 + ) I am thinking about a SI1 to get a better price, and I have been debating about going smaller as well.... But im afraid that i wont get that "eye clean look". I need to decide sooner or later or my GF will get her ring in 10 years, lol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok dude, don''t use the HCA as your first criteria!

What color and clarity do you want? What is your budget? What size are you hoping for? There are many well cut diamonds out there, you need to narrow the field.

And you can *EASILY* go G VS2 and still have a lovely white eye clean diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2010 8:24:41 PM
Author:tater23
Ive been using HCA to sift through stones in my budget. I have kinda stuck to one company (danforth), mainly because of their settings are affordable, and they seem to have good ratings. I have a 1/2 ct stone that has a HCA rating of 0.6. The only knock I can find with this stone is that the polish and symm are VG instead of EX. But the cut is Ideal . Here are the specs.

5.17mm x 5.20mm x 3.11mm, .50 ct. D VS2 ( I didnt look for this color or clarity, just best HCA)

33 deg crown angle

40.8 degree pav angle

60% depth

56% table

Im not sure if this company gives Idealscope or AESET images. But what are the opinions on just blindly buying this stone based on paper stats ?? Thanks.
Hi Tater

The diamond shows definite potential, I doubt obstruction will be an issue in this case. No way to tell much without Idealscope but if you want to buy blind, make sure you have a good return policy in writing to give you time to evaluate the stone and compare with others.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just me, but I''d want idealscope/asset images. Even if they have a great return policy, it''d still be a PITB having to send it back and pay for shipping/insurance. Guess I''m just lazy in that regard.

One of my stones is .50 on the HCA and it''s ideal cut and is amazing! It is an E stone. A D will look incredibly icy since when it''s perfectly cut. That is the look you''re after, right? Some F/G stones have a hint of warmth that''s very appealing.

tater23

Rough_Rock
Im in a bit of a pickle. The setting she wants and I can afford is at Dansforth, But I was told they do not provide images of diamonds. (aset, idealscope, etc.)
Although this diamond is great on paper, Im just nervous that it will not have the fire I am looking for. I guess I can buy it and send it back if I do not like it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 6:14:48 PM
Author: tater23
Im in a bit of a pickle. The setting she wants and I can afford is at Dansforth, But I was told they do not provide images of diamonds. (aset, idealscope, etc.)

Although this diamond is great on paper, Im just nervous that it will not have the fire I am looking for. I guess I can buy it and send it back if I do not like it.

Yup, you can do just that. Does Danforth have a good return policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results