shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA Score 0.8! True Hearts Diamond from JA ... HELP ME!

jwow10

Rough_Rock
Hi Ya'll ... I'm a bit of a OCD Diamond research person and I am searching for a diamond for an engagement ring.

I've read through countless websites regarding how different angles, cut %'s and everything can impact a diamond's performance!

I need community help on whether this diamond is worth it, IF any of it's dimensions will negatively impact it's performance, and why it scored a 0.8 on the HCA Score. Is the 0.8 necessarily a bad thing? (I've seen the ideal e-ring HCA is 1-2 and that 1 and below is ideal for earrings, etc.)

1.31 Carat Round Cut, K, VS2, medium fluorescence
Dimensions: 7.09 mm - 7.11 mm x 4.27 mm
Excellent Cut - True Hearts (Triple Ex GIA)
Crown Angle - 33.5
Crown Height - 14%
Pavilion Angle - 40.8
Depth - 60.1%
Table - 58%
Thin-Medium Faceted - 3.0%

I really would like some expert or diamond educated people's opinion on this diamond, and it's dimensions/HCA Score and whether it will have great light performance! Thank you!

FaceUp.jpg GiaReport.jpg IdealScope.jpg

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA tool states "Low HCA scores and bigger sized diamonds can appear dark when viewed close up; but these stones can be great for earrings and pendants." That doesn’t mean your stone WILL, but that it could and should be checked with ASET imaging.

Can you ask JA for an ASET image of this diamond?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The best for K - a very bright cut. These are subtle nuances, possibly lost in measurement imprecission & certainly subject to viewing environments, etc. ; so there is much talk of details here, but official claims are coy.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
40.8 pavilion average will be fine in a ring.
When the pavilion goes under 40.5(~40.45 if you want to get technical) is when you have to worry about the under 1 on hca.
The latest hca update has more combos going under 1 that are fine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 40.8 pavilion 33.5 crown 58table is sort of an in between combo between a classic 60/60 and a classic ideal cut.
Some will argue its not a classic ideal cut and some will argue its not a 60/60 combo.
However the gross gia rounding can move it close to one side than the other if the actual angles were known.
Either way its a combo that works.

jwow10

Rough_Rock
The HCA tool states "Low HCA scores and bigger sized diamonds can appear dark when viewed close up; but these stones can be great for earrings and pendants." That doesn’t mean your stone WILL, but that it could and should be checked with ASET imaging.

Can you ask JA for an ASET image of this diamond?

Hi! Thanks for your reply, I reached out to JA and they said they don't have ASET imaging, just Idealscope and Hearts & Arrows.

jwow10

Rough_Rock
The 40.8 pavilion 33.5 crown 58table is sort of an in between combo between a classic 60/60 and a classic ideal cut.
Some will argue its not a classic ideal cut and some will argue its not a 60/60 combo.
However the gross gia rounding can move it close to one side than the other if the actual angles were known.
Either way its a combo that works.

what are the differences with a classic ideal cut and a 60/60 combo? Would you expect a diamond with these dimensions to give that "wow factor" with the fire, sparkle, brilliance, scintillation etc. ?? Thanks for your reply, much appreciate, I am not an expert on this topic so a lot of the terms you mentioned are foreign to me!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Basically a 60/60 diamond is called that because the table and depth are near 60%. They tend to favor brightness over fire to some degree but can have awesome fire in the right lighting. They also tend to have a larger spread per ct weight.
The classic ideal cut is a different balance that favors fire more than a 60/60 while maintaining a very high level of brightness.
The difference is lighting dependent and both can be very very beautiful when well cut.
So basically it is a different flavor or different balance of trade offs.
Everything with diamond design/cut is a trade off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results