shape
carat
color
clarity

Having WhiteFlash set my diamond a good idea?

Cookie1210

Rough_Rock
We have a loose diamond (that was purchased online) that needs to be set into an engagement ring. We like one of the Ritani settings (it's a simple, plain platinum band), but you cannot buy the ring without buying their diamonds. We learned, elsewhere on this forum, that Ritani has a network of authorized retailers who will sell Ritani settings. WhiteFlash is such an authorized retailer.

WhiteFlash says it will either sell the ring to us, or set it at a cost of $150 as setting fee. Seems fair enough. But, we will need to (a) have a certified diamond, (b) have our diamond insured for all-faults, and (c) sign a waiver of all liability. Here's the policy: https://www.whiteflash.com/about-di...g-with-customers-diamonds-and-jewelry-875.htm. There is also the hassle of shipping the diamond and dealing with a business in another state that we don't really know. That said, WhiteFlash seems to be well-regarded on this forum, and their customer service so far is outstanding (their rep is so responsive and knowledgeable), but the truth is, we don't know them from any other businesses, and the waiver is pretty complete -- if they lose the diamond, switch it or damaged it, our only recourse is to go to our insurance company, and it's covered under a replacement policy (which just means they will replace it with another diamond with the same/similar spec). I understand why WhiteFlash has this policy though.

On the other hand, we don't know any local goldsmiths. There are local retail jewelry stores with their own goldsmiths, but they are not likely going to want to set someone else's diamond into someone else's ring. I can see them setting it if you buy the ring from them.

So...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the best approach -- should we get it set locally or have WhiteFlash do it?

Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF customer service is the best so I would do it.

jwcjewelry

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree with @AprilBaby you can’t go wrong with whiteflash. Very honest and they do a great job!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn't an authorized Ritani dealer conveniently located to you? I'm asking not because I have any qualms about WF, but because going locally means you could hand-carry the diamond. Plus, I think it's nice to develop, whenever possible, a relationship with a (good) local jeweler -- not all brick-and-mortar operations are akin to spawn of Satan! (And I doubt you'll want to be sending off the ring to TX for check-ups and cleanings. )

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
"There are local retail jewelry stores with their own goldsmiths, but they are not likely going to want to set someone else'sdiamond into someone else's ring."

I would ask around at the local places before assuming. I found two local jewelers who agreed to set my stone into my setting, one said $30-40, the other said no more than $50. (I stopped looking when I found the two, didn't want to overwhelm myself with options.)

That being said, people here do love WF so I'm not sure which would be the better option.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has a stellar reputation, and for good reason...they deliver excellence! Fair prices, top notch customer service and attention to detail.

If you can get past the logistics of insurance, shipping, etc I think you will be very happy.

Local B&M's are hit and miss IMO. Many times it seems prices are higher and knowledge levels and attention to detail is lower. Certainly not all them are the same but it seems harder to find a good one than a bad one. Although if you do I would agree that is an ideal situation.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with MollyMalone. I would research local jewellers & build a relationship with them. While I think WF is great, $150 a setting fee is rather high. I found a local person who set a stone in my pendant for $50 (roughly $38 US) & fabricated some pretty nice fine claws (on my instruction) while I waited as they had in-house bench services.

Post your city & there may be some on PS that can give you some recommendations.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to Molly's post. Try local first. (I love WF, but I would use them for a setting if I were buying their diamond. Otherwise, I'd get a Ritani setting locally.) Just don't mention the diamond was bought online because that creates problems. Say it's a family diamond (because it is now your own future family heirloom).

https://www.ritani.com/stores

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've realized I should add that if there isn't an authorized Ritani jeweler within reasonable driving distance, I would have WF set the stone despite the hassle of the long-distance transaction. Ritani won't honor their warranty if a non-Ritani jeweler sets the diamond. And using a Ritani retailer minimizes the finger-pointing/blame-shifting that could happen should there be a snafu in using a non-Ritani jeweler for setting the stone.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ritani won't honor their warranty if a non-Ritani jeweler sets the diamond. And using a Ritani retailer minimizes the finger-pointing/blame-shifting that could happen should there be a snafu in using a non-Ritani jeweler for setting the stone.

Often the extra cost of a respected jeweler who is authorized to work on the ring without risking the loss of the warranty is worth more than is charged in peace of mind alone. Add in the fact that WhiteFlash can send you a shipping label with insurance to protect you from loss while it is in transit and to me it is a clear choice.

Wink

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If no reliable, local jeweler option is available (shearly for simplicity) I wouldn’t hesitate having WF handle this for the price they are quoting. From my experience, the slightly higher cost is worth the peace of mind knowing they know what they are doing, and they have a very strong reputation in the business and on this board for a reason.

Cookie1210

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies! We are in the San Francisco Bay Area. Ritani lists 2 local retailers, one of them said it's no longer doing business with Ritani. The other one is about an hour away in the city (we have bad traffic here), and I will need to call them next week to confirm. The setting is a solitaire setting so we are hoping it is not too difficult to set.

Since you are all very knowledgeable, I have another rookie question. I've read many threads about single prongs vs. split prongs, and honestly, I would not even have noticed if I hadn't look closely. Which would look better on a 1.6 carat asscher cut diamond? What are your thoughts? Ritani offers 2 very similar cathedral settings, except for the prongs (and the side profile).

Single Prong (Tapered Cathedral):
upload_2018-10-28_16-40-59.png upload_2018-10-28_16-43-23.png upload_2018-10-28_16-41-30.png

upload_2018-10-28_16-23-57-png.656129

upload_2018-10-28_16-24-38-png.656130

upload_2018-10-28_16-31-57-png.656133

Double Split Prongs (Tulip Cathedral):
upload_2018-10-28_16-45-37.png upload_2018-10-28_16-44-41.png
upload_2018-10-28_16-42-30.png

upload_2018-10-28_16-24-59-png.656131

upload_2018-10-28_16-25-25-png.656132

upload_2018-10-28_16-32-58-png.656134

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-28_16-41-16.png
    upload_2018-10-28_16-41-16.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 6
  • upload_2018-10-28_16-41-57.png
    upload_2018-10-28_16-41-57.png
    267.8 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2018-10-28_16-42-14.png
    upload_2018-10-28_16-42-14.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 11

jwcjewelry

Rough_Rock
Premium
Personally I think less is more. I think single prongs look elegant. It’s personal preference though! :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d probably go with double prongs just for the added security. Otherwise, I think it’s just a matter of personal preference.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I’d probably go with double prongs just for the added security. Otherwise, I think it’s just a matter of personal preference.
I am having my stone set and it’s the double prong Ritaniz

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wink hit the nail on the head - I would 100% have WF do it. They will walk you through exactly what to do so that this is easy and worry-free.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you're buying the ring from WF, have them set it as well. It's good to have as few fingers in the deal as possible.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I bought the same Ritani setting from Whiteflash as I bought a stone from them. I was just notified it’s being delayed a week. What is strange is that they said they heard the update from Ritani and then letting me know it’s delayed. Do you know if Whiteflash is setting the stone or if Ritani is setting the stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results