shape
carat
color
clarity

Having Sapphire Reset?

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I have a colored engagement stone that I have a love-hate relationship with, but ultimately it is my engagement stone and I'd like to give it a fancy reset after 15 years. It's a lemon yellow sapphire, way too big for me and with an enormous uneven cutlet, but it also has some sparkle and personality. It's 3.4 carats if I remember correctly, elongated cushion (but not very symmetrical unfortunately), natural unheat treated (which was very important to me at the time although I no longer remember why). It's in a platinum basket setting right now, but I think it could do better. Right now, with all these designers putting out vintage inspired designs, I know one out there must be willing to take on my poor sapphire, but who? I think it might benefit from a yellow gold set. I'd love a wire basket setting with double claw prongs, maybe some milgrain or hand engraving detail. If I could do it all over again, I would never chose this stone, but I KNOW there has to be a designer out there that can hide her flaws and make her look drop dead gorgeous.

Any suggestions? Would anyone recommend CVB for this?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics? Maybe a candidate for a tiny face(t) lift?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I also think you should recut it before you reset in another setting. If your sapphire is asymmetrical and way too big for you at 3.4 ct, I think a good recut will make the gem a tad smaller, and you will want to wear it more once it's symmetrical and sparklier. ;)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
13636A08-ACBC-460D-ADC7-ECA0F67E2B7D.jpeg Yes, definitely consider a recut adjustment. The improvement can be astonishing- so talented are some people.
Then someone like David Klass can work some magic and create a breathtaking new setting and you’ll be in love.
The photo is of “Truth”.

S

SparkliesLuver

If your DH is okay with it (and you are too!), I'd have someone like Jerry Newman take a look. Get his thoughts. I guess I suggest this option because the stone has gone through life like you have, and I'm sure you're not the same person 15 years later...so your stone doesn't necessarily have to be either. That way, maybe you'll love it a little more, especially after re-setting it too. But definitely take your time so you feel informed before making such decisions about an important ring.

I look forward to reading about your journey. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of cutting for the sake of it, I think that if you have issues with the stone, then sure, consider a recut. Just remember that if you love the current color and size, a recut can change both of those.

I've used Jerry before so have lots of faith in him on a recut. But whomever does it, let them know what your expectations are so that they can tell you truthfully if its worth it or not.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a fun anniversary project! Congratulations on your 15 years!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, i agree with others - but rather than a complete re-cut, I'd contact Jerry Newman to ask about tweaking the sapphire to center the culet and make the elongated shape symmetrical, and see what he says. If you email Jerry (Gemart Services), make sure to include the sapphire carat weight and dimensions (length and width and depth), and include a photo or two.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I never thought of having it recut. I'm open to it, but I don't think I'd want the stone to change too much, and I definitely don't want the color to change. However, if Jerry can fix the cutlet, which is a very obvious visual flaw in the stone, I think that would be a big improvement. It wouldn't hurt to shoot of an email with some pics of the stone and its cert. Thank you, guys, I'm excited to have a first step.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
@vintageloves do you have an update on your project?

Not really. I did take a quick glamour shot of it, in hopes it might inspire suggestions. I think one of the problems is the setting. It doesn't look right in platinum, it looks totally washed out in a lot of lighting conditions, but is it the right shade of yellow for YG? I'm not sure. Right now, I'm leaning toward using a credit I have with a local jeweler to have it set into a pendant.

IMG_6115-01.jpeg

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
Sl%bv6ICSMixIzjQUi06Xw.jpg

Ignore the crusty hands, this is a yellow sapphire with side traps and double claws that I picked up from loupe troupe. I love this style, and personally think that a lot if Sapphires look better with accent diamonds. I believe someone has a yellow sapphire in YG on here, and it is quite delicious. I'm toying with the idea of eventually creating this setting in YG and resetting the stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The current cut design isn't doing it any favours. I would reach out to Jerry to find out what's possible (or not), given the limitation to keep as much of the face up size as possible.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really. I did take a quick glamour shot of it, in hopes it might inspire suggestions. I think one of the problems is the setting. It doesn't look right in platinum, it looks totally washed out in a lot of lighting conditions, but is it the right shade of yellow for YG? I'm not sure. Right now, I'm leaning toward using a credit I have with a local jeweler to have it set into a pendant.

IMG_6115-01.jpeg

My thoughts: if you do yellow gold, you should also consider diamonds with it.
OR, unplated white gold might be a better choice.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Since I have the picture on my computer, I shot Jerry an email asking his opinion. Why not, right?

Several people have recommended diamonds. But I've avoided that for a couple of reasons. The picture I posted is really as saturated as it looks and I think white stones will wash it out. It also looks dirty and dull very quickly, almost always. I think diamonds on the sides will just make it look dingy-er and even more dull in comparison. I worry the diamonds would overpower it.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think it would like nice in YG.... i like the face(t) life idea :lol: what about a 3 stone or asymetrical cluster ring with huband's and/ or kids' birthstones for a RHR? agree would do colored stones not diamond sides.

not these exactly but just as a thought starter..............

upload_2018-11-7_14-14-50.png upload_2018-11-7_14-15-46.png

Misscaliente08

Rough_Rock
i think it would like nice in YG.... i like the face(t) life idea :lol: what about a 3 stone or asymetrical cluster ring with huband's and/ or kids' birthstones for a RHR? agree would do colored stones not diamond sides.

not these exactly but just as a thought starter..............

upload_2018-11-7_14-14-50.png upload_2018-11-7_14-15-46.png

I love this! ^ Maybe a nice re-cut for added sparkles and blue-ish side sapphires similar to this?
rings-22-mwd107940_vert.jpg

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Proud to say this project is complete. :clap::dance::love:

I took some earlier suggestions, including looking into a recut, but my husband wasn't comfortable at all with that and I understand why. I then got sidetracked by a bunch of other things, but this week we had some time and went to a local jeweler with my engagement ring. I was hoping, if nothing else, to have the ring resized to fit my right hand. The jeweler heard my complaints about how high the stone was set and the color of the stone not being saturated enough. His suggestion was a 18kt head set into my existing ring. Boy what a difference! Now the stone is a much more lively shade of yellow. I was worried yellow gold wouldn't look right with my stone but it's a perfect match. The jeweler bought a setting for a larger emerald cut and pushed the stone all the way bottom, giving the ring a much lower and much more attractive profile. This also has the benefit of making the stone look rectangular instead of a wonky cushion. It's looks better than ever! I walked out the store wondering why we didn't do this years ago. And the cost: $280. The pictures don't do it's new look justice, but I've included two anyway. Thanks for all the help! I'm thrilled to have this ring to the point where I'm happy to wear it, instead of whacking it on things and wishing it were more yellow.

4519638729398981828_IMG_3695.jpg
239455021823140666_IMG_3704.JPG

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a difference, it looks great!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So pretty! Now you can enjoy it’s new beauty. It’s well worth the unintended wait.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yayyy! I love this outcome!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageloves

Congrats! I’m glad you changed it to a more comfortable position than the last set.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I love it! Keeps the spirit of its original self....but better! And for such a great price. Congrats!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, you guys! I wore it all day and couldn't find bad lighting. I couldn't resist taking another picture to show how vivid it looks under artificial lighting now. I know this stone still has problems, but it's also unheated and 3.44 carats and I didn't want to fuss with it too much. This allowed me to keep it recognizable as my ring but make it better. My anniversary was the 6th (15 years!) and I love that I could capture that excitement I had back when I was 22 and happy to be engaged. Everyone should have that feeling, imo. My husband was making fun of me here in the grocery store because I was looking at the ring instead of shopping.

20190316_205326.jpg

The jeweler said a yellow sapphire needs to be kept super clean and to use windex. I've always thought it sparkles very nicely for a sapphire when clean, so I'm going to try to clean it before each wear.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow I love how this all worked out @vintageloves! What a difference! Your sapphire really does come alive in the yellow head, and the setting displays your stone perfectly. I think it's so great that you are happy and excited about your ring now. :clap: It looks amazing!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great reset! It's amazing the difference the right setting can make.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
If you are still contemplating a recut, Dan Stair also does them and is very affordable. I had him recut an old, wonky cut aquamarine and he did a beautiful job.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad you are happy and love your ring! Wear in good health!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness that is pretty! The new head is just lovely - I would wear the heck out of that thing! I love yellow sapphires :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results