shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you forgotten what is in your bank safe?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One woman forgot a treasure trove of jewelry - gorgeous rubies and emeralds, beautiful Belle Epoque pieces, Victorian gold bangles, a diamond encrusted flag brooch, etc, etc and more etc - in a bank vault for over 30 years.

How in the world do you forget those emeralds?!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1340230/Treasure-trove-precious-gems-family-forgot-bank-vault-30-years-set-fetch-100-000-auction.html

And, yes, $150,000 for everything seems incredibly low but auction estimates discount workmanship, age, etc.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to know more about this story. My imagination is kind of running wild at the thought of why the family might say they forgot. They may not have known. The article gave me the impression (although I may have misunderstood) that they weren't even sure where the pieces came from. So...I am thinking secret lover, mistress situation, jewel thief, blackmail, hiding assets from government, etc. I really can't think of a legitimate reason someone or family would just "'forget" about a treasure like this.

I inherited some pieces from a relative that had supposedly just been discovered. Uh-huh. Right. :???: It's possible, but not probable.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My guess is some kind of tax evasion on the heirs' part or asset hiding by the late owner.

But the hoard does intrigue me. It isn't the kind of jewelry most ordinary people would have - they are extraordinary pieces to be worn at a certain kind of event.They are carefully curated - everything seems very high quality from the photos. Where did they come from?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results