shape
carat
color
clarity

Have You Ever Taken a Phone Break?

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m reading the book, “Digital Minimalism” and am considering taking the recommended 30 day break from “optional” technologies, but...... I love reading and learning and contributing here! And then there’s all the IG pretties too! The fact that I think it would be so hard for me kind of convinces me I need the detox. But I’m “addicted!” I’d miss the great things happening here! :blackeye:

Has anyone done a digital detox? Or do you have any encouraging words? Or discouraging words? :lol-2: ;)2

I’m NOT convinced I’ll do it, but am trying to decide.....

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had a cell phone since the 90’s, but I only carry it when I’m out of the house, the minute I walk back in, I switch it off, so yes, I could definitely live without that. My iPad, definitely not. :P2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shut my phone off when my dh is home and I am not expecting any important calls. I also shut my phone off when I am with friends. But other than that I enjoy being able to keep in touch with something as easy as a text and wouldn't want to go without it for any length of time. And it is super convenient for doctor calls and other important calls. No more waiting by the landline when one is expecting an important call.

I was resistant to getting a mobile phone initially and didn't even get one until 2002/2003 when my dh came home one day and handed me a phone and said here's my new phone. LOL. I had been saying no to one for years but that day he took matters into his own hands and I don't regret it and haven't looked back.

I control my devices rather than them controlling me and I think that is the key. Some people need to "detox" so to speak from all their devices as they are attached at the hip but that isn't me. I make my devices work for me rather than the other way around.

I think there is no one right way for everybody and if doing a phone detox sounds good to you go for it. And if it sounds painful to you don't do it. Do what makes sense for you.

Reactions: AV_

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have a smart phone; I have a flip phone with the texting feature turned off. It it a phone that was popular among my daughter's friends when she was in middle school. (She is about to turn 27.) It has no Internet access. Also: I leave it in my car unless there is some reason for me to bring it into a place with me, and in the car I use it only if I have some urgent communication. People know not to call me on my cell phone if they need to reach me urgently because I rarely check my messages. I do not need a break from my phone. :))

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh..... I should be clear, I only have a phone. There’s no WiFi where we live and we opted not to get satellite or the like, so it’s my phone or nothing. So it is an all or nothing month I’m considering. :blackeye:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh..... I should be clear, I only have a phone. There’s no WiFi where we live and we opted not to get satellite or the like, so it’s my phone or nothing. So it is an all or nothing month I’m considering. :blackeye:

@LittleRed don't torture yourself. If you have a good reason for doing a phone "detox" go for it but if you don't want to and it is painful and there is no really good reason why do it? Do what works for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LittleRed, you seem to be the person in a different situation here! Most of us responding now are clearly not people dependent on smartphones for computer/'net use!

Deb :wavey:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies! I probably should have titled this thread differently. I do forget I’m unique in our lack of WiFi (by choice).

The hardest part would be a month without PS or IG. But instead I might read a lot more books and sew some stuff I’ve been wanting to sew. I might take more walks and do more gardening. I might even keep up with the laundry.

This is not my first run in with technology. We haven’t had a tv in over 15 years. :lol-2:

If I do take a month off:
1) I won’t know of Missy’s US results
2) I’ll miss some of your blingy pics and lovely threads.
3) I won’t be able to post pics of my sapphire in its VC setting when it arrives.
4) FOMO!!!
5) I might be forgotten. ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies! I probably should have titled this thread differently. I do forget I’m unique in our lack of WiFi (by choice).

The hardest part would be a month without PS or IG. But instead I might read a lot more books and sew some stuff I’ve been wanting to sew. I might take more walks and do more gardening. I might even keep up with the laundry.

This is not my first run in with technology. We haven’t had a tv in over 15 years. :lol-2:

3) I won’t be able to post pics of my sapphire in its VC setting when it arrives.
4) FOMO!!!

LOL that is true. :lol:
and you
BUT we will never forget you...I promise!

Why don't you split the difference. Spend time sewing/reading etc and only some time on the internet. Win win.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

4) FOMO!!!

No way you'll be forgotten ;-) Although I took a 2 week break while traveling a while back and honestly I didn't miss social media and it didn't miss me!

I have a friend who does a social media fast for lent every year. She says it's hard for the first few days and then it's good - like any detox I guess! I think it can be helpful to figure out which things are useless vs. useful time sucks. I need to follow her lead, social media is my go-to procrastination tool for the past few months.

But maybe, just maybe, start *after* your sapphire arrives. :lol-2:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy According to the book I’m reading, the month off is to then be detached enough from habits to really know what things one wants to bring back in. When I start back up with IG, I might decide I don’t want to follow all the people I follow. I follow many “bookstagrammers” to learn about books I might want to read, but maybe at that point I’ll only want to follow 2 or 3. That, in return, would simplify my IG time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy According to the book I’m reading, the month off is to then be detached enough from habits to really know what things one wants to bring back in. When I start back up with IG, I might decide I don’t want to follow all the people I follow. I follow many “bookstagrammers” to learn about books I might want to read, but maybe at that point I’ll only want to follow 2 or 3. That, in return, would simplify my IG time.

Sounds interesting but do it after you get and share your new bling please:love:...deal? :cheeky:
JK! Do it when you want to and we will patiently wait for your return and bling pics.:sun:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No way you'll be forgotten ;-) Although I took a 2 week break while traveling a while back and honestly I didn't miss social media and it didn't miss me!

I have a friend who does a social media fast for lent every year. She says it's hard for the first few days and then it's good - like any detox I guess! I think it can be helpful to figure out which things are useless vs. useful time sucks. I need to follow her lead, social media is my go-to procrastination tool for the past few months.

But maybe, just maybe, start *after* your sapphire arrives. :lol-2:

Your two week break while traveling is inspiring since you didn’t miss social media. I never give up social media for Lent because I’d feel more panicked, I think. Kind of like, I eat healthy, but if I went on a diet, I’d panic and eat all the stuff.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds interesting but do it after you get and share your new bling please:love:...deal? :cheeky:
JK! Do it when you want to and we will patiently wait for your return and bling pics.:sun:

I might make an exception to post with all my pics and then not read replies until 1 June. Haha! I laugh at that..... :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: Can you imagine not reading replies!!!

And how is 1 June only a month away?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think I'm reliant on SM and absolutely have FOMO if I were to take a break, so that would be hard.
On vacation I'm definitely not the type to check work emails though. I do completely unplug for work on vacation, and *generally* I'm pretty good on weekends/evenings. But I think it would be really hard to give up SM/internet entirely!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I follow a handful of sources on Twitter & IG. I need to know what is on the list, so there seems to be a natural 'cap' of around a hundred sources. News - newspapers & many more reporters, are a list on the side. These things are remote and abstract after all, so they get only that much of my time.

I review what & whom I connect with, without taking breaks. This came to be a New Year rite, but not only. It does feel like a house cleaning of sorts.

Having no data connection at home for a few days - got a jacket done ,) One play thing or another.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I follow a handful of sources on Twitter & IG. I need to know what is on the list, so there seems to be a natural 'cap' of around a hundred sources. News - newspapers & many more reporters, are a list on the side. These things are remote and abstract after all, so they get only that much of my time.

I review what & whom I connect with, without taking breaks. This came to be a New Year rite, but not only. It does feel like a house cleaning of sorts.

Having no data connection at home for a few days - got a jacket done ,) One play thing or another.

There are many ways to house clean or detox. I think I need this shock treatment way. My daughter is doing this too (it was her idea in the first place), so I’ll have her company.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is official. :shock: I’m going to do it. :shock: One month without social media or unnecessary “new technology.” :shock: Honestly, PS will be the hardest part. Way harder than IG even! :shock: Starting tomorrow. :errrr:

I’ll come back with pictures of my new ring! :appl: I can’t wait!!!

Is there no group hug emoji???!??

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is official. :shock: I’m going to do it. :shock: One month without social media or unnecessary “new technology.” :shock: Honestly, PS will be the hardest part. Way harder than IG even! :shock: Starting tomorrow. :errrr:

slider_grouphugg.gif

Good luck @LittleRed. We will be rooting for you. Enjoy being device/SM/internet free.:appl: See you in a month.:bigsmile:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

See you soon! Can't wait to hear what you did with all the extra time! :lol-2:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
See you soon! Can't wait to hear what you did with all the extra time! :lol-2:

Good point! I sure hope I have accomplishments I can report back. That’s kind of the purpose of all this. :lol:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good luck, @LittleRed! Hopefully you will inspire me. I'm terribly internet-addicted and it is definitely negatively affecting my life. :(2 I really need to do something about it.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good luck, @LittleRed! Hopefully you will inspire me. I'm terribly internet-addicted and it is definitely negatively affecting my life. :(2 I really need to do something about it.
It’s tough sometimes, isn’t it? I’ll definitely report back.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts re “detoxing from technology” is that it’s only necessary if your use or dependence on such technology is intruding on other aspects of your life. For eg checking your phone while at the dinner table, in the bathroom, choosing to play games, use apps etc instead of talking or listening to people. Walking across the road while looking at your phone, using it while driving.
We don’t stop having hot showers so we can appreciate life before electricity, we don’t stop traveling by cars, trains or planes because walking is our “natural” mode of travel.
I know that if I leave my phone at home by mistake my vvvlife “won’t end” or “pass me by” but some people are so connected to their phones that not having it is like being deprived of oxygen and frantic, hysterical behaviour results. Those people need a detox!

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Excellent point! I’m not like that, or even close, but do feel the need to detox. We’re just a different kind of family, I think. :P2 To give you an idea.... we don’t own a tv, don’t have WiFi, and the idea of living off the grid is something that we don’t do but sure does appeal to us. ;)2

I’ll be signing off at 9:00..... I must go absorb as much PS as I can now. :dance:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I forget to bring my phone to work sometimes. Hrrrrrrrrrmmmm I wonder why I’m more productive than usual? :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not possible due to work. I've even brought my laptop on vacation.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
For me this is not possible due to work obligations. But also, I am an introvert, and I love texting with my best friends and family to catch up. I love seeing what they are up to on social media, and it's a necessity in a LDR. And like others have said, where it's controlling you and aspects of your life I think that's when it gets to be a problem.

Good luck! It's something I couldn't do, but admire those with the strength to control themselves in this way!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only do phone breaks. My daughters and husband are the only ones with my phone number, lol. There's almost nothing I hate more than answering a phone or talking on one. It never rings--bonus! I only get texts from my immediate family--bonus! My DH has TWO cell phones. I hate it. He gets 300 emails a day sometimes, on his days off no less.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results