shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever looked at listings for vintage jewelry and wondered what will happen to your...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever looked at listings for vintage jewelry and wondered what will happen to your collection in say 100 years from now?

The thought crossed my mind the other day and it was the strangest feeling... not quite sure how to describe it, so wondering if anyone else experienced it before.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Fairly often actually as I have at least one very old peice. I like to think my daughter or maybe one of her kids will want it and maybe one of their children will want some of it after that. I am hoping nobody wants to sell it!

My wedding ring comes with me though lol. Nobody is getting that one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, I have two daughters and two little granddaughters, and they are my justification for keeping on adding new things! :lol: So my hope is that they will have fond memories associated with my jewelry, but once things pass down a generation or two, you never know what might happen. I do always think it so sad when a beautiful antique e-ring goes up for sale, because it usually means it wasn't kept by the family. So I know what you mean, but I don't really think too much about it, personally.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plan to leave my jewelry to friends and family, so I guess it depends on what they end up doing with it. My mom, sister, and niece (whoever's alive) get first dibs, my closest friends get seconds, and the rest will be sold with proceeds donated to my favorite charity.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am going to be in the minority here and say i hope i sell things when/if i no longer want or need them and spend the money on experiences instead. my family is meh on jewelry except for one little niece who already has some nice stuff coming her way. =)2

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've picked various pieces to go to various people, and I wanted to be buried with my wedding ring. But - surprisingly to me - my husband said no way. He said he wants my wedding ring and will wear it around his neck if I die before him, then both wedding rings will be buried with him. Altho...we both want to be cremated, so I'm assuming it will be some cremation version of that.

I've also thought about selling it all when we retire. I have enough to fund a couple of years of retirement, and if it allows my DH to leave work earlier, and me to enjoy his company during that extra time, then there's no ring on the planet worth more than that to me. So in 7 years, I'd be keeping a close eye on 'Preloved PS Jewels' - it will be a monster sale!! :mrgreen:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine will all be passed down. I know my daughter will keep everything she has, and pass on to her children; she’s too sentimental. She’s obsessed with my jewelry, now. I can only imagine how she’ll be, after I’m gone.
I don’t know how long they will be passed down, but I imagine for at least the next 2 generations.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, I’m always looking at antique / vintage / pre loved jewellery to BUY. That’s how I love to shop.
My stuff who knows. Theres a heap of it and I’ve just the one (girl) who isn’t at all fussed by jewellery but she is shrewd enough to know what they are, the good pieces and what they are worth.
I do sell some of my stuff from time to time if I’m not wearing it or have “upgraded” to better. I’ve probably sold 4 or 5 opal rings over the years getting to where I am now. I’ve also sold quite a few of my vintage watches, I collect them, and still have 30 or so.
I don’t mind if she sells everything, except the gold heart locket which was my great great grandmas. That stays in the family.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of mine will go to my two daughters & they can do what they want with it. My eldest (9) is already quite besotted with jewellery & has her own little collection of silver rings that she rotates, including a little silver heart ring that was my very first piece of 'real' jewellery when I was 10. She has already asked to use my pear when she gets married if I have replaced it by then. Nothing like a bit of forward planning! My pink sapphire solitaire was given to me by my husband just after she was born, and she will treasure that one day. It has her name & DOB engraved inside. She's gutted I won't give it to her until she's 21!

My youngest (7) isn't very interested. She likes digging in mud. But my full eternity was a gift when she was born, so that one she will treasure, even if she has to break it up to resize or something. She has randomly pointed out that this one is 'her' ring, so it clearly doesn't completely pass her by!

The pieces I have inherited, I love. They have provenance & sentimentality to me that I know my daughters don't get, but hopefully one day they will. Even if they never wear them, I'd like to think they'll look after them & continue to pass them on.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any children, so my neices are the ones who get everything. For the most part they want it...lol But no, I don't worry about it because I'd drive myself crazy if I did.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume jewels will be reset and precious metals melted down and used for settings. My picks have always been on the classic and timeless side but tastes do differ.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all for responding...

I suppose it was a feeling of mortality and... fleeting existence?

In a hundred years from now everyone that has ever known me is also dead and gone but maybe the ring, earring or whatever treasured item of mine is the only thing from my life that’s still around?

Anyway like I said just a weird feeling o_O

In the shorter timeline I hope my daughter will love my stuff when she grows up but if not I’ll like to sell them to people who will treasure and enjoy them rather than for them to sit around and collect dust.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So far, I have two daughters and two little granddaughters, and they are my justification for keeping on adding new things! :lol: So my hope is that they will have fond memories associated with my jewelry, but once things pass down a generation or two, you never know what might happen. I do always think it so sad when a beautiful antique e-ring goes up for sale, because it usually means it wasn't kept by the family. So I know what you mean, but I don't really think too much about it, personally.

I don’t think about it too but it just suddenly struck me you know? Like I said it’s the strangest feeling

I've picked various pieces to go to various people, and I wanted to be buried with my wedding ring. But - surprisingly to me - my husband said no way. He said he wants my wedding ring and will wear it around his neck if I die before him, then both wedding rings will be buried with him. Altho...we both want to be cremated, so I'm assuming it will be some cremation version of that.

I've also thought about selling it all when we retire. I have enough to fund a couple of years of retirement, and if it allows my DH to leave work earlier, and me to enjoy his company during that extra time, then there's no ring on the planet worth more than that to me. So in 7 years, I'd be keeping a close eye on 'Preloved PS Jewels' - it will be a monster sale!! :mrgreen:

Wahhhhhh. That’s so sweet of him.

And a monster sale indeed!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The thought has occurred to me as I have collected a few old pieces almost a hundred years old. I hope my hoard will be enjoyed by people who love collecting vintage jewelry. I don’t have any daughters, so maybe i’ll give a few to my nieces and then hope to have granddaughters? But it doesn’t really matter as I buy jewellery to be enjoyed during my lifetime, not to be heirlooms.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are small so I have no idea whether they'll like any of my jewelry. I imagine they will trade it in for some intergalactic travel because kiss nowadays prefer experiences over stuff. I'm ok with that.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no children but have many niece’s and nephews. My jewelry will be left to the ones who are interested in jewelry. I’ve also told my nieces to trade them in and get a piece you love if their tastes change in jewelry.

I am always getting my 4 yr old grand niece rings and brackets at Claire’s. She always says I still like your ring more. She has asked if she can keep it in her purse.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of one of my mother-in-law's brilliant and insightful comments. "Doberman daughter will be so lucky when you die", meaning all the nice jewelry she will have.

But I do think of this and have started giving away pieces here and there.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With one daughter and three daughters in law I assume the will split the loot.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had similar thoughts about jewelry, but then I figure none of it will matter to me when I'm dead so I'll enjoy the hell out of what I have now.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have no children of my own and no nieces. My stepdaughter's and stepson's wife's taste is totally different than mine and so far my 2 granddaughters are more tom boyish and not interested in jewelry at all. I have to say it kind of makes me sad. I figure if I don't sell it at some point, they will. So probably sometime when my hubby retires we'll sell my pink and blue diamond rings and take some nice vacations.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 daughters and a son. I plan to give almost all of it to my daughters. Maybe a piece or 2 to my son's future wife or any granddaughters that I may have. Right now, my son couldn't care less. My older daughter likes some pieces and my younger daughter covets only the velvet ring boxes!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. A recent death of someone very close to me has made me start to sell off most of my collection. I am saving some pieces for my kids but they aren't jewelry people and do not need the money. So I have started the purge and hope to sell off most of my collection in the next 12 months. I am only keeping very sentimental pieces or pieces that I wear more than 4 times a year. I hate to sell off my colored stones but honestly- my best pieces are rarely worn for the fear I will damage them.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. A recent death of someone very close to me has made me start to sell off most of my collection. I am saving some pieces for my kids but they aren't jewelry people and do not need the money. So I have started the purge and hope to sell off most of my collection in the next 12 months. I am only keeping very sentimental pieces or pieces that I wear more than 4 times a year. I hate to sell off my colored stones but honestly- my best pieces are rarely worn for the fear I will damage them.

I'm sorry for your loss.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of one of my mother-in-law's brilliant and insightful comments. "Doberman daughter will be so lucky when you die", meaning all the nice jewelry she will have.

But I do think of this and have started giving away pieces here and there.

Yes! I absolutely plan to give my girls things through the years so I can see them enjoy them! I've already collected some little pairs of diamond studs for my granddaughters when they are older! Fortunately they love all things sparkly!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the last 10 years, I've only made purchases on the secondary market, minus one 7 stone from IDJ. I NEVER think about provenance on things I buy. I don't believe in mojo or anything like that. So I imagine others would be the same? I mean some might wonder at a fabulous piece, but I don't have anything fabulous.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no interest in jewellery when I was younger, so there’s still hope for your daughters.:D

My only child is a son, so if he ever gets around to marrying, I assume my DIL will inherit my jewellery. I’m not sentimental about things, so if they sell it, that’s up to them, I won’t be here to worry about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results