shape
carat
color
clarity

Have gems made you like a colour you didn't?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourite colours have been red and blue for as long as I can remember. However, some of my favourite gems are colours that I would say I didn't really like before. For example, my spess and chrysoberyl. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of pink or purple, or green, either, and many of you know how that has turned out, too! :lol: Has this happened to you? If so, what colour/s? Please feel free to post pics of the gems that made you change your mind!

Here are my spess and chryso. :)

_18627.jpg

_18628.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, orange for me as well!

Though I will just never love purple.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, and like many it is "orange"....who knew?!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely was not a fan of orange until is saw spessartite. I didn't use to have any pink clothes until I got a pink sapphire ring. I still do t like really dark colors like a deep purple or navy blue stones.

GemAgents1

Rough_Rock
Trade
pink is my color..

_18631.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, as my colour preferences have not changed over the years, and my eyes are drawn to those that I like and can wear.

DK :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Orange for me too. I actually have a bad association with orange. When I was about 6 or 7 I got sick and had to take antibiotics. I HATED the flavor of the medicine - it made me sick so I had to take it again! And the colour of the bottle it came in was orange. Childhood issues, I know :cheeky: I love spess now and I find I prefer the look of more orangey pad sapphire.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
I actually hated green- and then I got a mint garnet ;-) And I've since learnt how to love greens with a blue modifier.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple. My Mom hated it so , by default and brainwshing I was never a fan. My 12 Y.O.'s favorite color has been purple since she was born. I buy all things purple for her and her room is lavendar. Now I am craving a big royal purple amythest pendant. Go figure.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Pinks/reds. I never liked them at all, until I saw my first mahenge...and now I'm addicted to mahenges!! It has had a huge impact on what I collect and wear every single day.

Blues and greens I always loved, but I realized that while I like green, in my gems I really prefer mint green. I've since sold all my tsavs and bought up mints instead :)

Also purple a little. I've never cared for the color at all, but I now know that I love a large, well cut amethyst.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually some gems ruined a color for me. After seeing fine Burmese rubies, no red gemstone is red enough for me. LOL!

I really disliked yellow forever, and vowed I would never buy a yellow gem. I'm not even keen on yellow diamonds, but I really love neon yellow Tanzanian chrysoberyl, so I have some of those.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brown.

I used to think brown diamonds were tacky and lame. Now i look at caramel ones and think they are delicious. I here people say "brown diamonds?! why would yo want a poo colored diamond" and i just think :roll: they are :love: :love:

i don't own one buy i would sure like to.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
Red and yellow for me. I've never been drawn to warm colours at all, preferring cool greens, greys and blues, but all of a sudden I'm obsessed with rubies (and heliodor, of all things! It keeps stopping me in my tracks).

I have a nasty suspicion that I'll amass a collection of the little darlings and then never turn them in to jewellery or wear them - just hoard them like Smaug for no real reason at all. Weird.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My fav colors are still the same (red and blue).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still love red and blue but have a new found appreciation for orange (even though it looks horrible on me), green (especially with a blue modifier) and anything lavender (especially with some blue). I still dislike yellow but I'm surprised how much I enjoy chartreuse chrysoberyl.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Interesting topic!
And here is my rather boring answer, in that I don't think they have, No.
My favourite colour when I was young was purple and all its cousins (lavender, violet) - hence why Donatello was my favourite TM Ninja Turtle ;-)
And as an adult my favourites are green and blue..Can't get enough of green, as it has so many variations in nature (and in gems).
I don't actually dislike any colour strongly, however I find I am not drawn to the red & pink family..I do love a good rhodolite or tanga garnet, however the strong reds or extreme pinks are not personally high on my list - although I definitely admire the PSers with the verve to wear their gorgeous mahenge spinels (I wouldn't pull it off!).
I was recently considering faceted black spinel..I think they'd make a very handsome gent's ring. I already like black, but before seeing these spinels I just thought of black gems with the stigma of silly celebrities who get black diamond e-rings; so these gems did change that opinion.. does that count? :wink2:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving these answers! Feel free to post pics of either the gems that changed your mind, or one that would. :naughty:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I've always been a yellow/orange/green/blue/grey/brown/red kind of girl. Not at all into pink, purple, mauve, lavender-the typical girl colors!

The stones on my wishlist would be a yellow diamond, Spress garnet, Mint or Tsav garnet, sapphire, ruby.

I am finding myself drawn to hot pink lately after seeing all of the gorgeous spinels on here. I might surprise myself and give in eventually :cheeky:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reds and pinks. I can't even wear red because with my coloring it makes my skin and hair look green. Yet they are the dominate colors of my gemstone rings. I can't get enough Mahenges.

Purple is my favorite color but I cannot love purple gems- at least not in person. In photography I love them, but not so much in real life.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate orange.

And red.

And brown.

And white.

_18694.jpg

red_fun.jpg

jzircon.jpg

img_5.png

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Green and orange and all the variations of the colors. Green- blue, green-yellow, orange- pink,orange yellow. I haven't found a color I don't like but I am surprised when I fall in love with a color of a stone that I wasn' t expecting. Depending on how you look at it I'm lucky to be able to visit a store with a fabulous collection of colored stones.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orange and limey green for me too! My sister thinks that my mandarin spessartite is too "flashy" but she doesn't get the allure of natural gemstones.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1401076404|3680101 said:
yes, and like many it is "orange"....who knew?!

The gorgeous spess in your avatar, is that your engagement ring? :love:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, Freke! I hope to like brown some day.

ILG, what is this "too flashy"???? You need to work on her! :Up_to_something: ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great question, but can't think of any particular color. I can say its definitely enhanced my love of the colors I loved before, if that makes sense. It also has made me realize that while I love the intensity of pinkish red spinels, that hot pink and magenta stones are just not for me. :knockout:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Orange - ALL the way!!! I didn't own anything orange until about a year ago, but found myself getting all kinds of orange shirts, sundresses, and whatnot, but I never did I ever think that it would translate to stones, and here I am loving all of the Spess's that I see. I sooooo tried to get Gene's round spess from a drop back and missed it, but one of these days, I'll have a little glow ball :)

1554.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results