carat
color
clarity

Haunted by the one that got away & unable to move forward - help needed please

IssyBelle

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I’ve been on the hunt for a G/VS2 approx .90 - 1 carat to upgrade my engagement ring and was concentrating my search on WF inventory as I kinda have my heart set on one of their ACA’s.

I’d reserved a H/VS2 1.01 and when I asked to see a picture of it next to a G colour to determine if it was a mid H, I thought the tint from face down may bother me (I’m still trying to figure out how colour sensitive I actually am). So (& this is where I messed up) I passed on this H and decided to concentrate on G stones. Almost immediately I had second thoughts but unfortunately (for me) the H had been already snapped up.

Now I can’t stop thinking about it and I’m starting to do my own head in (and my poor hubby’s head). It seemed to me to be a super fiery stone which is my preference so I’ve been looking for a smaller table and a lower girdle close to 76% (although I could be wrong in thinking these two factors contribute to a fiery stone??).

What little confidence I had to choose a stone has vanished and my indecisiveness on what to do next is now resulting in any other possibilities also being sold.
To make it worse the H was an excellent price, about $6500 from memory and as my budget is $7k for the stone I can’t find anything close to the one that got away.

I now have a G/VS1 0.835 reserved (I can’t figure out how insert a link, sorry).
Depth 61.3
Table 55.5
CA 34.3
Star 48
PA 40.6
Crown % 15.3
LG 76
It’s a little smaller than I wanted - measurements 6.05x6.09x3.72
It’s $4532 so definitely under budget but I do have the scope to spend a bit more.

Apologies for the rambling post but I don’t know what to do. Should I pull the trigger on the .835 G or try to find something else? Can you help me look? I could do definitely with a good old talking to so as to get my head back in the right place again as feeling more than a little overwhelmed :wall:
WF have been really good, they definitely are lovely to deal with.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. Assuming precision cut and balanced angles, fire is highest with a small table and steeper crown angle (until its too steep and gets leaky, but not an issue with ACA or CBI-HPD).

Lower Girdle Facets control the width of the arrows. So, how much contrast you see between the arrows and the rest of the area in the table. I like "chubby" arrows. My ideal is 75%, I can live with 80% but not above. But, I'm a picky soul.

Last edited:

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ooo ... the other thing is to email your WF rep and ask her to keep an eye out and search for the stone. They have a diamond concierge style service where you give them your requirements and they look at their inventory (including upcoming inventory) to see if something would match. You can also ask "do you think it is a high H or a low H" :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. Assuming precision cut and balanced angles, fire is highest with a small table and steeper crown angle (until its too steep and gets leaky, but not an issue with ACA or CBI-HPD).

Lower Girdle Facets control the width of the arrows. So, how much contrast you see between the arrows and the rest of the area in the table. I like "chubby" arrows. My ideal is 75%, I can live with 80% but not above. But, I'm a picky soul.

You're also very slithery and stripy but you're cute. :bigsmile:

IssyBelle

Rough_Rock
Premium
These are gorgeous stones, I must have missed those, thank you for finding those. I’ve not yet considered S1. Is it better to focus on colour or clarity? I suppose it’s all down to personal preference but I just can’t figure out what my preference is lol!
Is there much “real life” visual difference between a .835 and a .90? 0.07 doesn’t seem much bigger for quite an increase in price?

If you want an ACA and a bigger size under $7k, why not this one?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3955169.htm

or this one if you want VS clarity (and this comes with higher color). {6 starbucks lattes over budget }
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3974676.htm

Edited to add
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7997

IssyBelle

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ah, okay that makes sense now thank you. I am a fan of the chubby arrows too. I’ve never seen any stones with 75% LGF, the lowest I’ve seen is 76%.

QUOTE="rockysalamander, post: 4329829, member: 89220"]p.s. Assuming precision cut and balanced angles, fire is highest with a small table and steeper crown angle (until its too steep and gets leaky, but not an issue with ACA or CBI-HPD).

Lower Girdle Facets control the width of the arrows. So, how much contrast you see between the arrows and the rest of the area in the table. I like "chubby" arrows. My ideal is 75%, I can live with 80% but not above. But, I'm a picky soul.[/QUOTE]

IssyBelle

Rough_Rock
Premium
I didn’t realise this was a possibility, I’ll definitely ask them - thank you Tanalasta =)2

Ooo ... the other thing is to email your WF rep and ask her to keep an eye out and search for the stone. They have a diamond concierge style service where you give them your requirements and they look at their inventory (including upcoming inventory) to see if something would match. You can also ask "do you think it is a high H or a low H" :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results