shape
carat
color
clarity

Has cost of USPS shipping insured increased?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure if I''m using the Calculate Postage function on the USPS website correctly, but when I sent a $2500 package in November, it was only about $17. Now when I enter it into the calculator, it shows $27.50. Have the rates risen that much recently? That would be a very large percentage increase.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Is the package the same weight and size as before? Are you using the exact same service as well?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jazmine, yes, the package is the same size and weight. In the USPS.com calculator, I calculated for Parcel Post and Insurance, nothing else. I''m pretty sure this is the same service I used last time. Have you made any recent shipments with no changes in price?

bfready

Rough_Rock
Are you sure you didn''t insure for $1500 before? $1500 value insurance costs $17. I don''t know when prices went up last, but it wasn''t that big of an increase.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 3:21:52 PM
Author: Kim N
Jazmine, yes, the package is the same size and weight. In the USPS.com calculator, I calculated for Parcel Post and Insurance, nothing else. I''m pretty sure this is the same service I used last time. Have you made any recent shipments with no changes in price?

This is just a random guess, but did you send it Registered last time? I looked at the rates quickly, and it looks like insurance is cheaper for Registered mail than it is for parcel post. For Registered Mail, the $2500 in insurance would cost you $12.05 + postage, which is probably pretty close to $17.

bfready

Rough_Rock
Yes, priority registered mail with $2500 ins. comes in just under $17 for a 1lb package cross-country.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boston_Jeff, thank you, you pinpointed my error. I did pay for Registered Mail last time, and I didn''t realize the rates would be different for Registered vs. Parcel Post. I don''t remember paying for Priority last time, so I clicked on Parcel Post instead of Priority. Thanks for the catch!

Thanks, bfready! That is much more in line with what I paid before.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results