shape
carat
color
clarity

Has Anyone Had Their Sapphire Cleaned & Polished?

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Hello! My question is, can a cleaning and polishing affect a sapphire so much that it looks like a different stone? Alcohol, ultrasonic and steam cleaner were used (I had some spots on the edges they removed). Before I would have said my sapphire was between Medium to Strong, but today it's vivid and Vibrant. It's so sparkly and deep, a darker blue than before. I really can't stop looking at it and haven't even started dinner because of it! I don't recall it looking like this when I first received it and wonder if it wasn't polished as well. Even the cut just shines now and I never noticed that before. It's still the same stone as I can see the shadow at certain angles, but even that looks slightly less...not so much a distinction now, but simply just the way light hits the stone. The sapphire is guaranteed for the life of it and the cleaning, polishing, re rhodium plating and sizing are always complimentary...which means that if this is what it looks like after every service, I'll be doing this every 6 months! Is that not a good thing? I know I just posted an update on how much I love my sapphire, but is it possible to love it even more now???? I'll even post an update to this post to let you know how long it took to go back to the orginal stone. :)

Would love to hear if anyone else had this experience?

I tried taking photos with my iPhone 4s, but it's not coming out true to life. It's raining here so maybe I'll try another day.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not unless you have major crud under the stone from never removing your stone. :cheeky: Are you cleaning your ring at home daily?

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
I'm not a jewelry person at all so forgive me if this sounds disgusting, but I never cleaned the ring in 8 months. I never took it off either and always figured washing my hands and showering was good enough. I wore my engagement ring for almost 9 years, never removed it or cleaned it - I can't be the only slob like this??? :((

Well, if this is what happens when I send it in to be cleaned up then I shall do so every 6 months! My husband is tired of looking at the ring and won't comment on it anymore, but I swear Chrono, it just looks so much bluer?! Guess it really just means it's clean now. :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've started thinking of my set stones as like teeth; they build up plaque-like dirt if they're not cleaned frequently. Some people clean daily, some weekly, but you really need to clean them otherwise the dirt and crud just get harder and harder to eliminate.

Oh, and yes, no wonder your stone appeared to change color, lol!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
That's a great analogy! Yes, it does build up and get harder to remove so some home cleaning is recommended. Daily or weekly is fine. Monthly is too long and crud has already built up. Showering and washing dishes are insufficient as it doesn't get into all the nooks and crannies.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
Washing your hands is part of the problem, as soap residue builds up behind the stone and makes it look dull. You are in the majority in life, if not this forum, that you don't clean your ring. Nothing to feel bad about! It is fun re-polishing rings for people to get the reaction you are having. :) You can get the ring ultrasonic-ed and steamed as often as you like, but I don't know that I would get a full polishing more than once a year. Polishing it too often might dull the crispness of the mount. Nice clean knife edges or hand-engraving don't like over-polishing. It takes a long time to have an effect, so if makes you happy then go for it. But probably after the first couple years you will revert to less frequent polishing anyway.

And the polishing compound a jeweller uses does not effect a sapphire one way or another, so the stone itself is not getting any more polished. It just looks all beautiful and clean. If you want this effect at home and you have a cappuccino machine, get some rubber tipped tweezers and hold the ring at different angles under the steam nozzle. (Not safe for every stone, but safe for a sapphire.)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Euphony|1362147106|3393518 said:
Washing your hands is part of the problem, as soap residue builds up behind the stone and makes it look dull. You are in the majority in life, if not this forum, that you don't clean your ring. Nothing to feel bad about! It is fun re-polishing rings for people to get the reaction you are having. :) You can get the ring ultrasonic-ed and steamed as often as you like, but I don't know that I would get a full polishing more than once a year. Polishing it too often might dull the crispness of the mount. Nice clean knife edges or hand-engraving don't like over-polishing. It takes a long time to have an effect, so if makes you happy then go for it. But probably after the first couple years you will revert to less frequent polishing anyway.

And the polishing compound a jeweller uses does not effect a sapphire one way or another, so the stone itself is not getting any more polished. It just looks all beautiful and clean. If you want this effect at home and you have a cappuccino machine, get some rubber tipped tweezers and hold the ring at different angles under the steam nozzle. (Not safe for every stone, but safe for a sapphire.)

Its amazing the gem-related uses we can think up for household items!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
This is a really timely post, because I was just noticing that my favorite sapphire ring doesn't look at all as nice and sparkly as it used to. I cleaned it with warm water and a little soap and a toothbrush, and the gold looks great, but the stone still looks dull and has dead spots in it I defintiely know it didn't have when I got the ring.

I don't have a local jeweler I trust. I may have to invest in an ultrasonic...

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to keep my rings clean by periodically cleaning them with dish soap and a toothbrush. All the dirt and grime are removed under the settings and I make sure that it is rinsed very well. But I do love it when I get the metal polished. It makes the pieces look new-especially the platinium rings which do get scratched. I have not felt the need for ultrasonic cleaning as I am always able to get under the settings-I do not own any micropave pieces.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
The problem with my sapphire setting is that the prongs kind of curve up to the stone, so it's really hard to get under them. I'm actually thinking of getting it reset partially so that it's easier to clean :)

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ultrasonics are great, but please be sure you knoow which gems can handle it. I know someone who ruined an 8ct tanzanite that way... Ouch.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your posts!! I'm slightly embarrassed that I got so excited about a cleaning! I was informed by the jeweler that they removed all the residue and soap film so my sapphire is just super clean. I took it off last night when I washed my face, but forgot and showered with it this morning...oh well - I tried. I'll just plan to ship it back every 6 months and get all excited again! I also love the re rhodium plating and how my band is new once again, no dings or scratches! Although I just scraped it on the fridge door (stainless steel)...dang!! The thing is, don't you think before they sold it to me they might have thought to do a thorough cleaning so that I didn't go into shock? Haha Minous! :bigsmile:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
SapphireSun|1362205568|3394358 said:
I'm slightly embarrassed that I got so excited about a cleaning!

Nothing to be embarrassed about! I fall in love with my sapphire again every time I remember to run it under the hot tap (I slide it onto my toothbrush and really sluice it). What a huge difference! And I swear I've never seen it look so good before (every time).

Then I think, wait a minute, what about the diamond, and then I do that one too.

You'd think as a PSer I'd remember to clean my rings better!

Enjoy your sparkle! That's a gorgeous colour of sapphire!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1362156967|3393705 said:
Euphony|1362147106|3393518 said:

Its amazing the gem-related uses we can think up for household items!
This is fantastic! I'm off to zap my e-ring!

SapphireSun, don't be embarrassed! Enjoy your shiny beautiful ring. And post a picture!

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the posts!! Once again it is raining here in Seattle...I just cannot get a good picture of the sapphire with my iPhone 4s. Here is the best I can do for a comparison. My husband came by to check out what I was up to and quickly ran away, but only after he added his opinion which is it's not a good comparison and thinks the older picture is nicer. I'm posting anyway because I "think" you can see that it's bluer? We need to have a get together so everyone can see everyone's rings in real life!! :D

img_0370__1024x768_.jpg

img_2251.jpg

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Ok, maybe that did't work so well. You'll just have to believe me that it's shinier and bluer... :naughty:

The other thing that I wanted to bring up is that this little sapphire didn't cost me nearly as much as what newer PSers are posting so I know it's not perfect or highly desired, but it makes me happy! Thank you to everyone who thinks it's lovely nonetheless!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't be embarrassed! I know exactly what you mean - I loved my OEC when I first received it, but honestly it really sprang to life when I had it professionally cleaned! I couldn't believe how much more it sparkled, and the facets of the stone were more apparent - I was thrilled. A good cleaning really does make make a difference! And I can see a difference in your pics - the sapphire looks crisper and brighter, and the diamonds sparkle more. I really love your ring!

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
That's what I meant Junebug! When I got my ring back I was like, wow - where did those cuts come from...but I meant that the facets just sparkled after the cleaning!! Yay, I'm so happy others have had the same experiences after a professional cleaning!! I hope others will continue to post their "first" experiences as well! It's so much fun to read!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I'm lazy and don't use the ultrasonic, just the pink cleaner, or other products I've got around. When I toss them in the ultrasonic AND the steamer after - OMG!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as a FYI for lurkers or those who aren't familiar with coloured stones, 99% of all gemstones cannot be cleaned in a steamer or ultrasonic or it will be damaged irreparably.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put my diamonds, sapphires and rubies in the US only

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless your rubies are very clean and / or depending on what it is filled with, I would not use an ultrasonic.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous sapphire, and I'm not usually a sapphire fan!

I have a ruby ring that I clean regularly, and the cleaning makes an enormous difference in how it looks.

Also, the ring in my profile photo has a cleaning story behind it, too. My former mother-in-law gave it to me without a lot of ceremony - to her it was a family tchotchke, something that never got worn, nothing major. The stone looked, frankly, mediocre. I thanked her and took it to get identified and professionally cleaned. Again, the cleaning was transformative - the cloudy green stone was revealed as well-cut and flawless, and all the diamonds came to life. She did a double take when she saw the ring afterwards!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The heirloom pieces I received all needed a deep and through cleaning to sparkle again. The amount of crud was beyond belief as they were worn often without being cleaned.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thank you EAC! I loved your story and the outcome!

Chrono, I guess I'd be the one leaving behind cruddy jewelry!! Perhaps I'll leave a note that says, "clean me!"

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
SapphireSun|1362117830|3393396 said:
My husband is tired of looking at the ring and won't comment on it anymore...

This is why you have PS! We never get tired of looking at the ring, we understand (we look at our own all the time too), and we're here for you! Plus, we give compliments.

It is such a beautiful cornflower blue!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1362490239|3396738 said:
Just as a FYI for lurkers or those who aren't familiar with coloured stones, 99% of all gemstones cannot be cleaned in a steamer or ultrasonic or it will be damaged irreparably.

I think it's also not recommended to ultrasonic clean pave, as the stones can come loose. Anyone else heard of this?

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
If your pave shakes loose in the ultrasonic then you were going to lose those stones soon anyway. Better loose them in your ultrasonic then on the ground.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard recommendation in RT not to clean pave rings in the US as well. Yes, if the stone is already loose in the setting, it will fall out in the US but the shaking about will also add to making it looser over time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results